Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

43 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Or get you on public transport or bicycles?

Futile if that's what they're trying to do. 

If I can't easily park in town then my business goes to Amazon. My spending alone won't make or break it, but there's plenty of others in the same boat. 

Do they really want to wipeout what's left of the high street?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

I don't understand why we can't get to grips with the issues facing Douglas.

This article from Sam Turton gives some food for though. 

https://gef.im/2021/06/28/lets-rethink-central-douglas/

I don't favour pedestrianising the entirety of Central Douglas. But we need ample parking and free flowing traffic. At the moment it's all just a bit of a miss mash muddle. 

Provide proper parking and enforce no stopping areas during peak times. It can work. 

Edited by AlanShimmin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

If I can't easily park in town then my business goes to Amazon. My spending alone won't make or break it, but there's plenty of others in the same boat. 

Do they really want to wipeout what's left of the high street?

I don't think they can stop the demise of Douglas as the business / quality shopping capital. As in another thread, the rise in cashless shopping and the "changing" roles of the banks (leading of course to staff reductions and job losses) suggests to me that on line shopping for quality items is now the only option. Even in Marks and Spencers I often hear that "we don't have it in stock but we can order it for you". I can do that myself. 

I was there today and In Regent Street the seagulls were causing havoc for people trying to eat outside. The main issue for me though was trying to find a clean spot to sit - there was bird crap all over the benches etc and clearly no attempts have been made to clean them.

If the council don't care, why should I. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Apple said:

I was there today and In Regent Street the seagulls were causing havoc for people trying to eat outside. The main issue for me though was trying to find a clean spot to sit - there was bird crap all over the benches etc and clearly no attempts have been made to clean them.

If the council don't care, why should I.

You're not wrong. A bit of TLC and a gull cull would work wonders.

• Like 1

From driving along Douglas Prom at least once a week for the past 6 months it’s obvious it’s an absolute clusterf**k. Today I walked from Summerhill to Switzerland Road to have a closer look, it’s a horror story, one big conf***tion site, designed by a committee of clowns😱.

Edited by Lightening McQueen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lightening McQueen said:

From driving along Douglas Prom at least once a week for the past 6 months it’s obvious it’s an absolute clusterf**k. Today I walked from Summerhill to Switzerland Road to have a closer look, it’s a horror story, one big conf***tion site, designed by a committee of clowns😱.

You've only just noticed 😩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lightening McQueen said:

I think you were looking through rose tinted spectacles.

It is supposed to be "finished *" by 26th August 2021:D

* the term finished is a variable

21 hours ago, Lightening McQueen said:

It is a construction site, what do we expect at this point, when we have had delays and other issues due to Covid-19? 

Would you be saying the same thing to a surgeon in the middle of an operation, or a mechanic who had your car in pieces? 

The time for criticism is when it's finished and if it hasn't come up to expectations. It's clear that not many on here have any idea about civil engineering projects but that doesn't stop them from having what they think are valid criticisms. This seems to be a mixture of not liking change, frustration at the amount of time taken and the access issues and ignorance of the process.   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It is a construction site, what do we expect at this point, when we have had delays and other issues due to Covid-19? 

Would you be saying the same thing to a surgeon in the middle of an operation, or a mechanic who had your car in pieces? 

The time for criticism is when it's finished and if it hasn't come up to expectations. It's clear that not many on here have any idea about civil engineering projects but that doesn't stop them from having what they think are valid criticisms. This seems to be a mixture of not liking change, frustration at the amount of time taken and the access issues and ignorance of the process.   

To be fair though it was some 3 months behind 6 months into the contract and was months behind before the saviour of Covid came to their rescue.

And still they cannot keep to schedule, for example last summer the DOI took over the block work on Loch Promenade and its side roads, according to the strategic minutes it was all supposed to be completed and the DOI off site by November. No pesky Covid restrictions  to hold them up from July to November.. It is still nowhere near finished

• Like 2