Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

55 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Is the delay for the 6 week mountain road closure from before to after the election a crude attempt by Tim Baker to save his political spot on the gravy train?.

I would say its more likely to be all about the Prom and getting it finished as in my view they will be struggling to finish as Baker hopes by end of August. It would have tied up alot of men on the mountain. 

• Thanks 1

Manx Radio: Keeping public updated on prom work is 'very difficult'

It is not very difficult (or shouldn't be), it is very simple.

If you can't keep the public updated then one can only assume the people responsible for carrying out the project can't keep themselves updated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barlow said:

If you can't keep the public updated then one can only assume the people responsible for carrying out the project can't keep themselves updated.

What the **** is all the expense of the My Prom team for then?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lightening McQueen said:

What the **** is all the expense of the My Prom team for then?

They send out an occasional newsletter, which either nobody reads, or which has only a very limited circulation. 

Example notice:

"The Department of Infrastructure are working on the pedestrian crossing at Regent Street for a period of up to 2 weeks. The works, which started today, will close this crossing. The zebra is currently being worked on with the uncontrolled crossing being worked on from Monday 28 June. The nearest controlled crossing is the zebra at Victoria Street or at Howard Street. Signage (pictured above) has been placed in the area to show diversions to businesses and shops. "

I was on the Prom today, and noticed that there were several people still using the crossing at Regent Street, having walked around all the fencing. Have they been told? Are the signs adequate/existent?

7 hours ago, Barlow said:

Unless Tim Baker is pulling solid gold rabbits out of hats and giving them to his voters of Ayre and Michael then updating his re-election chances will not be very difficult.

However....once again the Department of Infrastructure will have chewed up, inwardly digested and excreted the remains of one of its political members. And the Department and its chiefs still roll on....

57 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Unless Tim Baker is pulling solid gold rabbits out of hats and giving them to his voters of Ayre and Michael then updating his re-election chances will not be very difficult.

However....once again the Department of Infrastructure will have chewed up, inwardly digested and excreted the remains of one of its political members. And the Department and its chiefs still roll on....

Truth is, because of how weak the next Keys will be given so many new candidates and the removal of salary uplift for political members sitting in departments (non Ministerial), the civil servants are going to have even more power. Its not going to be good for Ashford when he gets put in to DoI next term to thankfully cut short his political career.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Its not going to be good for Ashford when he gets put in to DoI next term to thankfully cut short his political career.

I think anyone after Baker and Harmer will be an improverment, Nobody could believe it taken three years to reach what they have acheived on the Prom, Then in under two months it will be finished and four weeks to do latent defects. Has Mr Baker never worked in the construction industry, so the turn of phase "We will be there monday morning" is lost on him.

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

I think anyone after Baker and Harmer will be an improverment, Nobody could believe it taken three years to reach what they have acheived on the Prom, Then in under two months it will be finished and four weeks to do latent defects. Has Mr Baker never worked in the construction industry, so the turn of phase "We will be there monday morning" is lost on him.

Had a couple of trips along this morning as hadnt really had a look for a couple of weeks. Honestly theres no way I can see it finished before snagging by the 26th August. There really is loads of areas with alot to do and lots of blocking on the likes of Queens Prom and its not even ready for them to start. Finishing all the top coat of tarmac will take at least 2 weeks I'd say and obviously they cant start that till both sides of road is finished as they will need the room for 2 way traffic. Just clearing the sites will add a week . Time will tell if there right or I am . My money would be on mid September followed by snagging which wont be finished in 4 weeks if done properly. Not even factoring in the rails that were ripped up and temporary tarmac up to. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2