Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Had a couple of trips along this morning as hadnt really had a look for a couple of weeks. Honestly theres no way I can see it finished before snagging by the 26th August.

Same here, I went along the prom earlier - If it's going to be done by the end of August they've got to be working very long hours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Had a couple of trips along this morning as hadnt really had a look for a couple of weeks. Honestly theres no way I can see it finished before snagging by the 26th August. There really is loads of areas with alot to do and lots of blocking on the likes of Queens Prom and its not even ready for them to start. Finishing all the top coat of tarmac will take at least 2 weeks I'd say and obviously they cant start that till both sides of road is finished as they will need the room for 2 way traffic. Just clearing the sites will add a week . Time will tell if there right or I am . My money would be on mid September followed by snagging which wont be finished in 4 weeks if done properly. Not even factoring in the rails that were ripped up and temporary tarmac up to. 

54 days left to opening if you believe the minutes.

Did not see anybody working on the north end today (Central and Queens Promenade) so presumably they are confident or could not care that they can do it in that timescale.

I cannot see the snagging taking 4 weeks, it is taking the DOI 2 weeks to snag their own works at Regent St crossing. 4 months perhaps.

• Like 1

Baker, Harmer, Gawne et al with and before them are just consistently, blatantly misled by their Dept officers and are so slavishly devoted to their defence out of political protocol that objective examination of what's actually going on comes a distant second.

This is where the failure starts. The tail wags the dog but when the dog is about to be put down by the electorate and the tail is its own living entity, the tail doesn't give a shit.

DOI is by far the worst Dept in this respect but then its handiwork is the most open to public scrutiny too so it's therefore the most obvious.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Baker, Harmer, Gawne et al with and before them are just consistently, blatantly misled by their Dept officers and are so slavishly devoted to their defence out of political protocol that objective examination of what's actually going on comes a distant second.

This is where the failure starts. The tail wags the dog but when the dog is about to be put down by the electorate and the tail is its own living entity, the tail doesn't give a shit.

DOI is by far the worst Dept in this respect but then its handiwork is the most open to public scrutiny too so it's therefore the most obvious.

Which it is why it is more commonly referred to as the Department of Incompetence

32 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

First thing the next DOI minister needs to do is have a mass clear out. 

That needs to happen but its not going too. You so know that CS are bullet proof as far as being sacked or moved on. And then you have the Chief Secretary to defend there ineptitude . They do need to work out where their recruitment falls down because clearly there's many in DOI incapable of carrying out their tasks and that starts with the CE Nick Black. Best we can hope for is they being reigned in massively . The design and engineering contracts need looking at also as clearly there incompetent also. Can we hope for a strong capable CM this time as the current one has been useless to help sort the issues out ?? 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Peter Layman said:

Which it is why it is more commonly referred to as the Department of Incompetence

Which it’s not, no more than Manx Radio is not commonly referred to as the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece or Tynwald as Tinpotwald.

Or Peter Layman not being commonly referred to as Peter Lazyman

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Which it’s not, no more than Manx Radio is not commonly referred to as the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece or Tynwald as Tinpotwald.

Or Peter Layman not being commonly referred to as Peter Lazyman

Name one thing they've managed to do competently!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t think you understood my post.

It was about the fact that the Department of Infrastructure is not commonly known as the Department of Incompetence, not about their performance or their competence itself.

You obviously move in the wrong circles!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

That needs to happen but its not going too. You so know that CS are bullet proof as far as being sacked or moved on. And then you have the Chief Secretary to defend there ineptitude . They do need to work out where their recruitment falls down because clearly there's many in DOI incapable of carrying out their tasks and that starts with the CE Nick Black. Best we can hope for is they being reigned in massively . The design and engineering contracts need looking at also as clearly there incompetent also. Can we hope for a strong capable CM this time as the current one has been useless to help sort the issues out ?? 

They should be given responsibility for arranging the paperclip levels of Government Offices. 

It wouldn't matter that they earned £150k+ and solely ordered paperclips once a week. As long as they were removed from all other responsibilities it would be worth the cost. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, finlo said:

Name one thing they've managed to do competently!

Worked tirelessly behind the scenes keeping the hospital running, constructing two injection hubs in 14 days, setting up the method by which folk and cars are disembarking in minutes. That was all done in about 5 days. 

The prom all falls on Harmer, he instructed it be done from both ends in half the time the engineers originally proposed before the detail design was complete with less resource than the project team said was needed

• Like 1