Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Chris Robertshaw has been on Manx Radio this morning 'speaking up' for businesses on Douglas Promenade. Although I think he is actually just using it as an excuse to be a naughty boy and have a pop at his old mates in government.

Minister Harmer had a quite different point of view on the Promenade.

From his country retreat, maybe Robertshaw has been forced to  realise that he is the MHK for somewhere in Douglas that unfortunately for him includes the Promenade. His neighbour Chief Minister Howard might have to stuff his mouth with (our) gold, persuade him to be a Minister again, and give him more ego boosting backslapping buffets to shut him up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gettafa said:

If it had been single track (with a passing place at Villa or where ever) who would have complained? Double track is crazy and unnecessary.

have to agree, double track totally unnecessary given volume of horse tram traffic. Should have been single track down the sea side of the promenade with 2 or maybe 3 passing places.

Would have made road works much simpler and quicker, caused less disruption. A complete nonsense that the walk ways couldn't be shared with the horsetram. They have electrified trams through the centre of Manchester which with much, much higher volume of people and footfall and I can't recall hearing a story about someone whose been hit by one.. 

I'm sure the vast majority of people could hear/see the slower, noisier horse trams without too many problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

have to agree, double track totally unnecessary given volume of horse tram traffic. Should have been single track down the sea side of the promenade with 2 or maybe 3 passing places.

Would have made road works much simpler and quicker, caused less disruption. A complete nonsense that the walk ways couldn't be shared with the horsetram. They have electrified trams through the centre of Manchester which with much, much higher volume of people and footfall and I can't recall hearing a story about someone whose been hit by one.. 

I'm sure the vast majority of people could hear/see the slower, noisier horse trams without too many problems.

It's also a complete nonsense that they are not doing anything about putting a small wall along the prom instead of the railings. First high tide of winter and the prom will be under water again.

6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It's also a complete nonsense that they are not doing anything about putting a small wall along the prom instead of the railings. First high tide of winter and the prom will be under water again.

to be fair, I think they are putting a sea wall along from the war memorial to around the palace area as part of the works

29 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

to be fair, I think they are putting a sea wall along from the war memorial to around the palace area as part of the works

Anything from the war memorial to sea terminal?

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Anything from the war memorial to sea terminal?

apparently not.

from the FAQ on myprom.im

Are the sea defences being improved?

The Department intends to construct a new 500m long sea defence wall, running from the end of the Marina Gardens north, beyond the junction with Broadway and finishing opposite the Empress Hotel on Central Promenade. These works will cost circa £500,000.

42 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

apparently not.

The Department intends to construct a new 500m long sea defence wall, running from the end of the Marina Gardens north, beyond the junction with Broadway and finishing opposite the Empress Hotel on Central Promenade. These works will cost circa £500,000.

Excellent forward planning by them then. Maybe a fresh coat of paint on the Loch prom railings will deter the incoming tides a la Canute

There does however appear to be a bit of a to do on Faceache this afternoon with RC stating the original plans have been deviated from

The original plans were deviated from when the first spade or bucket was put into the ground. Deviated from in respect of budget and time. I reckon 4 years plus by the time it's finished at the current rate of progress, given that no "voids" have even had to be dealt with yet.

I'm not even gonna hazard a guess at the total cost or the number of additional visits to Tynwald for budget increases.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The original plans were deviated from when the first spade or bucket was put into the ground. Deviated from in respect of budget and time. I reckon 4 years plus by the time it's finished at the current rate of progress, given that no "voids" have even had to be dealt with yet.

I'm not even gonna hazard a guess at the total cost or the number of additional visits to Tynwald for budget increases.

Have to agree but Harmer stupidly committed that it would be finished by October 2020 and def on budget. Clearly he really doesnt have a clue and his waffling yesterday confirmed that.

re voids ..From what I've seen they dont seem to be digging down as deep as I thought they would have too apart from where pipes are installed. Everyone knows theres voids

so DOI should have factored it in. Was told it was a inflated budget for works and I could believe that .time will tell ..5 years ??!!! not even DOI can manage that can they lol 

Edited by Numbnuts

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Have to agree but Harmer stupidly committed that it would be finished by October 2020 and def on budget. Clearly he really doesnt have a clue and his waffling yesterday confirmed that.

re voids ..From what I've seen they dont seem to be digging down as deep as I thought they would have too apart from where pipes are installed. Everyone knows theres voids

so DOI should have factored it in. Was told it was a inflated budget for works and I could believe that .time will tell ..$ years ??!!! not even DOI can manage that can they lol 

when you say voids, didn't somebody with an engineering background comment on this.

Tried to locate it but can't find it at the moment, something along the lines of they weren't voids but large solid blocks.

16 hours ago, b4mbi said:

apparently not.

Planning was refused.

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

when you say voids, didn't somebody with an engineering background comment on this.

Tried to locate it but can't find it at the moment, something along the lines of they weren't voids but large solid blocks.

Well there is  def a big void in the area in front off Sam Webbs. and I cant believe that where the cellars flood on high tides along by the Villiers site and Tower insurance etc

that there isnt voids there also due to natural erosion over so many years . We will all find out hopefully in the next year or so lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Broken link, but holy fuck. Clearly much better to have seaweed rocks and sand strewn all over the newly refurbished prom.

It's a sea defence wall but the corpy objected because its not made of diamond (to limit the visual impact) and planners refused because? 

8 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Broken link, but holy fuck. Clearly much better to have seaweed rocks and sand strewn all over the newly refurbished prom.

It's a sea defence wall but the corpy objected because its not made of diamond (to limit the visual impact) and planners refused because? 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=44690

I think the issue was that the waves would still over top but they would then have no where to go because there's a big blocking them.