Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

21 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Surely that wasnt DOI responsible for that !?? 

21 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Surely that wasnt DOI responsible for that !?? 

No it wasn’t. I realized you meant DOI after I had posted it so then provided you with the two DOI examples, (one more than you asked for)

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

5 months for that bridge, 5 months for 20m of road at most, over a stream.

The Bridge was supposed to take 15 weeks so clearly your answer fails miserably to fall between the 'brief' I gave you . 

And the the road was supposed to be a 12 week contract and again failed miserably to meet my 'brief' 

Sorry VOR you need to go back into your archives , must try harder comes to mind. However the real point is that the DOI and contractors fails pretty well everytime to meet timetables or budgets. You ,despite your attempts , cannot in any way justify your defence of that Department and management .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

The Bridge was supposed to take 15 weeks so clearly your answer fails miserably to fall between the 'brief' I gave you . 

And the the road was supposed to be a 12 week contract and again failed miserably to meet my 'brief' 

Sorry VOR you need to go back into your archives , must try harder comes to mind. However the real point is that the DOI and contractors fails pretty well everytime to meet timetables or budgets. You ,despite your attempts , cannot in any way justify your defence of that Department and management .

‘Supposed to take,’ Is that a firm commitment or an estimate? If the former I will concede to you.

However the real point is that there is no good doing a rush job and consequently bodging it. (Although it appears that in the case of the prom it is a bodged job without the rush)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

‘Supposed to take,’ Is that a firm commitment or an estimate? If the former I will concede to you.

However the real point is that there is no good doing a rush job and consequently bodging it. (Although it appears that in the case of the prom it is a bodged job without the rush)

From IOM Goverment pages at the time.

This project consists of the reconstruction of the Maine Road, form the junction with the Upper Promenade to Maine Avenue, a distance of approximately 180 metres. 

The finished scheme will provide a road with a design life of 40 years and which is capable of meeting traffic requirements throughout its proposed life span.

JCK Ltd have been awarded the contract to deliver the work which will take 12 weeks to complete.

Mullen-E-Quinney Bridge is at the bottom of Old Castletown Road and creates a narrowing of the road to a single carriageway width. The bridge deck is in poor condition and needs to be replaced.

Paul Carey & Sons Ltd have been awarded the contract which commenced on site 24 July 2017 will take 15 weeks to complete.

'Supposed' too was my slant on the above as it clearly took alot longer for both contracts . Sorry but youve clearly picked the bum steer in trying to defend the DOI . PS sorry for font sizes but pasted from IOMG sites 
Edited by Numbnuts

Went down parliament street Ramsey today.

How many years ago was that?

Overtime, over budget, the speed bumps wreck vehicles (and the road) and need relaying as are falling apart.

The whole lot needs ripping up and doing again.  Looks like it is at the end of its useful life already - total garbage 

• Thanks 1

VOR, how much are they paying you fella?  

The DOI is a basket case, there's no getting away from that. 

Yes there are a few dedicated individuals on the front line who put in a decent shift. But that doesn't change the failings of the department and their incompetent so-called management. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, oooohtony said:

Went down parliament street Ramsey today.

How many years ago was that?

Overtime, over budget, the speed bumps wreck vehicles (and the road) and need relaying as are falling apart.

The whole lot needs ripping up and doing again.  Looks like it is at the end of its useful life already - total garbage 

The speed humps do work, lots of drivers/pedestrians use them as informal crossings, it’s also handy when you look to cross the road, you know you’ve plenty of time as they have no choice but to slow down to a crawl to negotiate them. 

As a driver though I hate going over them, it’s a first gear crawl for me and it still lightly catches the undertray, there was also a lot more parking with the old layout, particularly around the Chemist/Spar/new post office area.

4 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

From IOM Goverment pages at the time.

This project consists of the reconstruction of the Maine Road, form the junction with the Upper Promenade to Maine Avenue, a distance of approximately 180 metres. 

The finished scheme will provide a road with a design life of 40 years and which is capable of meeting traffic requirements throughout its proposed life span.

JCK Ltd have been awarded the contract to deliver the work which will take 12 weeks to complete.

Mullen-E-Quinney Bridge is at the bottom of Old Castletown Road and creates a narrowing of the road to a single carriageway width. The bridge deck is in poor condition and needs to be replaced.

Paul Carey & Sons Ltd have been awarded the contract which commenced on site 24 July 2017 will take 15 weeks to complete.

'Supposed' too was my slant on the above as it clearly took alot longer for both contracts . Sorry but youve clearly picked the bum steer in trying to defend the DOI . PS sorry for font sizes but pasted from IOMG sites 

Presumably penalty clauses were included and invoked, or were the contract lengths merely aspirational?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Adding extra words