Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, Itsmeee said:

Apparently Mr. Black is retiring. 
He’s only 53

This was doing the rounds quite a few weeks ago and was rumoured he'd handed his notice in after the report on DOI.  Where dod you get the latest news from ? Good source or ?? 

Edited by Numbnuts

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Where dod you get the latest news from ? Good source or ?? 

A friend told me. I trust her. Unfortunately I don’t have documentary evidence so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

The bit about his age is definitely true though. I had a conversation with him about it once and we are of the same vintage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

You can't retire at 53 in civil service pension terms these days.    Resigned more like.  Hopefully

Are we not counting fire and police as civil service?

Get a promotion at 48. Retire at 50 on pension.  Return at 52 on pension and consultancy rate to do the same job you did before.

Double bubble.  Winner winner, chicken dinner.

6 figure income other no actual skills or qualifications.  Ding ding

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oooohtony said:

Get a promotion at 48. Retire at 50 on pension.  Return at 52 on pension and consultancy rate to do the same job you did before.

The fire service and police are not civil servants I don't think. However they share the government pension scheme (with different conditions)

They are forced to retire early

"Re Return at 52 on pension and consultancy rate to do the same job you did before." This is not allowed and how could they anyway. Not much need for 'consultant' firemen.

There are the "old" CS terms (Whitley Council) and the "new", far tighter terms introduced in 2015 under the creation of the Public Service Commission.

As a pre 2015 employee, NB will fall under the former, meaning that he will still be entitled to any early retirement/handshake options that existed under them. Those terms were protected when the change came in and in the way that retirement benefits accrue throughout a CS career, at his level it would be perfectly possible to go at early 50s. And at his point on the CS pay spine if he hasn't got extra salted away then he's being doing something very wrong. He certainly wouldn't be leaving as a poor man if he has stepped down.

There are any number who have retired and then been rehired, throughout Government.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

8 hours ago, oooohtony said:

You're completely out of touch. 

That isn't how it works.   Also, anyone that could "retire" at 50 gets hammered on what they get if they take the pension at that point.

Fire Brigade and Police are not Civil Service. 

32 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

That isn't how it works. 

In some cases that is exactly how it has appeared to work. It's a way of trying to keep access to  valuable skills and experience. Saves on recruitment expenses. The only problem though is the picture it paints  for other staff not so blessed with such insightful managers.

Better still if you can "asked to leave" due to "reorganisation or restructuring". I hear the rewards can be really eye watering. But you have to keep quiet.🤫

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

The fire service and police are not civil servants I don't think. However they share the government pension scheme (with different conditions)

They are forced to retire early

"Re Return at 52 on pension and consultancy rate to do the same job you did before." This is not allowed and how could they anyway. Not much need for 'consultant' firemen.

i think crown servants was what flinty said they were,???  but i may be incorrect as usual. ,  either way the whole retire come back as a consultant is a joke system  for those paying for it.

Under the CS pension terms that would apply to Mr Black, he could retire early from 55 onwards and draw his pension. The pension is significantly discounted for every year it is taken early so, if he is 53 he would probably resign and freeze his pension until he is 60. In the meantime he would probably opt to take up alternative employment. The problem with that is that he would have to accept a salary appropriate to his actual worth, which won't be much. The Island has given him a very charmed life for the past few years. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TerryFuchwit said:

You're completely out of touch. 

That isn't how it works.   Also, anyone that could "retire" at 50 gets hammered on what they get if they take the pension at that point.

Fire Brigade and Police are not Civil Service. 

There's a surprise

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

I reckon you can only retire and return for extra lolly if you’ve got mates in high places, a proper journalist should be looking to join the dots if that’s the case.

Proper journalist?

Over here?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, joebean said:

Under the CS pension terms that would apply to Mr Black, he could retire early from 55 onwards and draw his pension. The pension is significantly discounted for every year it is taken early so, if he is 53 he would probably resign and freeze his pension until he is 60. In the meantime he would probably opt to take up alternative employment. The problem with that is that he would have to accept a salary appropriate to his actual worth, which won't be much. The Island has given him a very charmed life for the past few years. 

I don't know Mr Black. never met him. I have no idea what his worth in alternative employment might be.  But it isn't his fault that the terms of his employment are such as they are. And the same for lots of people. 

The island has given may people a good way of life (not charmed in all cases I admit) but we haven't done so bad. It could be a lot worse, believe me.

And I'm a cynic ! 😀

Edited by Apple
Add smiley face to try and stay on good terms with everyone.