Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes he's in the councillor list as well.  With MBE JP attached both times.

If the plaque had just been a bit wider, he could have recorded his bronze swimming certificate and his Tufty Club membership too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Er, what about Comrade Councillors Watson and Hamer?? If you're going for small-town chickenshit commemoration, at least get it right?

I wondered if they’d been listed to piss them off. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Declan said:

I wondered if they’d been listed to piss them off. 

I doubt they were even asked.  Certainly there didn't seem to be anyone there except Joughin, going by the photos - there wasn't exactly a group shot of the full council.  And they wouldn't even have been on DBC when the proposal to erect the statue was discussed (if it ever was).

The bit at the end about Debbie Pitts reads oddly as well.  It makes it look as if they were too cheap to do something separate for her, but just tacked it on as an afterthought.

• Like 2

In years to come future Manx children will hear tell of the great Promenade works of 2021. 

And they will look at the statue and read the plaque, research it on YouTube and conclude that this  video depicts the time Councillor Christian, Mayor Joughin and the Head of Parks saved Douglas from decay  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not quite as bad as I feared (or alternatively not nearly as bad as I hoped).  Given that Douglas Council was involved and there wasn't much info on who was making them or whatever, I expected something much more shoddy and expensive.

The sculptor is Andy Edwards, who did the Beatles sculpture in Liverpool so he's got experience in this sort of thing .  It's good workmanlike stuff though, as has been frequently remarked, no sculptor has ever been able to get trousers right (and that applies particularly to bell-bottoms).

The plaque however is a masterpiece of Corpy self-importance.  Look on plaques on statues done in the past and you will just get the name and titles of the subject(s) and of the sculptor plus maybe some text about how wonderful the person being commemorated was and their achievements.   You might also get "Erected by public subscription" or  whatever.

Not here.  The really important people aren't the subject and creator of this object.  They're the Council.  Every member is listed.  So is the Head of Parks.  Joughin and Christian get their names and titles on twice, the sculptor and even the brothers Gibb only once and in the same size font.  You have to look hard to see their names hidden in the text.  It's a wonderful piece of small-town buffoonery.

In favour of the statue, should have been put out to public subscription though!

The plaque is absolutely cringeworthy, what a bunch of self important, puffed up, egotistical, anal idiots! The statue and plaque should really explain the island's connection to the Bee Gees, that they were born here, went to school, made it and returned here etc. Who gives a toss about some councillors who spent our rates on this? If the gobshites have an ounce of decency they will change this plaque to give the info on the brothers and acknowledge that it was paid for by the ratepayers of Douglas!       

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The plaque everyone is getting worked up about is just the dedication unveiling plaque. The statue has its own built in plaque on the plinth. All three get full names and honours.

8EBEF265-5B6E-43DB-9CD4-224775971DB8.png

I would put money on you not being able to read that in 18 months.

Is it angled to allow drainage? Or will rain and sea water just gather on it an make it unreadable as it rots away?

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

Looks forty years old already!

Don’t forget all the people who will stand on that  to get pictures taken.

Will be a total mess inside a year/before the prom Is finished

Edited by oooohtony

6 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

More negative BS.  Jesus Wept.

Give over.

They have paid a significant amount of money for a slab to be engraved precisely where people will stand and where water will collect.

It will be knackered in no time.  I only saw the picture and figured it out so why has it made it through design, installation and sign off without anyone at doi/doc noticing?

It isn’t negative to point out massive cockups!  There are hundreds of ways they could have done that better and I have only been thinking about it for 30 seconds.