Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-promenade-work-delayed-again/?fbclid=IwAR3epLUu1ZDqEUlDjTIRiN68TUwgK21Y0XdCriu8rFcDfozX3ePYp3TP2kg

Extremely rare to see all sides of the iron triangle in bits, but there you go: cost, time and quality all broken. Therefore benefits realisation not met 🤣

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-promenade-work-delayed-again/

More promenade delays.

Suppose it's not really 'news' any more, is it. 

I'm sure it will come up in the last Tynwald, won't it ?

Just got pipped by @english zloty

Edited by Apple

11 minutes ago, english zloty said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-promenade-work-delayed-again/?fbclid=IwAR3epLUu1ZDqEUlDjTIRiN68TUwgK21Y0XdCriu8rFcDfozX3ePYp3TP2kg

Extremely rare to see all sides of the iron triangle in bits, but there you go: cost, time and quality all broken. Therefore benefits realisation not met 🤣

Following the usual pattern of events, Tim Baker gives his reassurances that work will be completed by a given date about a week before the next delay is announced 🙉🤡

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/doi-minister-pledges-prom-will-be-finished-by-august/

So the discussion about being finished by 26th August instead of 28th August to be clear for the bank holiday weekend was academic after all 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skins said:

Following the usual pattern of events, Tim Baker gives his reassurances that work will be completed by a given date about a week before the next delay is announced 🙉🤡

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/doi-minister-pledges-prom-will-be-finished-by-august/

So the discussion about being finished by 26th August instead of 28th August to be clear for the bank holiday weekend was academic after all 🤷‍♂️

They're trolling him now.

24 minutes ago, Apple said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-promenade-work-delayed-again/

More promenade delays.

Suppose it's not really 'news' any more, is it. 

I'm sure it will come up in the last Tynwald, won't it ?

Just got pipped by @english zloty

"The DoI says in order to help speed up completion its taking up parts of the project and will deliver these with 'other resources'."

So are Auldyn paying the DoI to help them out? Or is Auldyn getting the same money and the DoI stepping in represents more taxpayer money down the promenade drain? 

And what's with the (what amounts to) 'air quotes' around 'other resources'?

At least this is probably the final nail in the coffin that is Baker's re-election bid. 

3 minutes ago, Zarley said:

"The DoI says in order to help speed up completion its taking up parts of the project and will deliver these with 'other resources'."

So are Auldyn paying the DoI to help them out? Or is Auldyn getting the same money and the DoI stepping in represents more taxpayer money down the promenade drain? 

And what's with the (what amounts to) 'air quotes' around 'other resources'?

At least this is probably the final nail in the coffin that is Baker's re-election bid. 

Baker, Callister and Christian on the shovel = other resources 🤣🤠

• Haha 2

Christmas… it may be done by Christmas.   

Or as Baker would say ‘I err w w would like to err say err it it it’ll be be finished err by err by Christ err mas,  I I err can erm err ass assure you err and erm Manx Radio err listeners err If I am err erm err elected err again it’ll be finished by err erm Christmas that’s a promise’. 

TT 2021 it was supposed to be all done by wasn’t it?  

That guy is a complete waste of air.  

I love this line ...

"A pragmatic and constructive dialogue continues with the company on finishing as soon as possible but we will not allow the quality of the finished product to be compromised at this stage"

As far as  I can see quality has not been a feature of the project from the start. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I love this line ...

"A pragmatic and constructive dialogue continues with the company on finishing as soon as possible but we will not allow the quality of the finished product to be compromised at this stage"

As far as  I can see quality has not been a feature of the project from the start. 

Neither has negotiation regarding contracts and contractors. If this was across the water, timescales would be built in, and penalty clauses. For all the bluster, the spin and the press releases it’s likely the promenade could be finished next year, not even Christermas. Yet again the taxpayers are picking up the pieces.

• Thanks 1

The DOI are making a big thing as for active travel - bicycles and walking. Presentation tonight I believe on this tonight. No doubt more roads dug up, trees chopped down to create cycle lanes, disruption and closures for longer than anticipated.

Delay mmmm can’t be many if anyone on this site who didn’t see this coming, didn’t he insist on manx radio it’ll be finished on time when a caller called him out recently, If you were a streetwise  mhk  with that department you wouldn’t listen to the crap being fed to you, wouldn’t you be going down to the prom asking the coalface workers what the hells going on a regular basis and no that’s not interference it’s all are hard earned money that’s getting wasted. 

• Like 6

Maybe one day somebody important will ask the questions how and why a Government Dept with, at best, a dubious record in basic, smalltown infrastructure maintenance was suddenly deemed fit and capable to take on the biggest, multi-million £ civil engineering project that the Island has ever seen?

To my mind at least, this pongs of academic qualifications and egos taking precedence over experience and reality, with Departmental politicians merely being goats to be sacrificed at that altar.

• Like 8