Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

57 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

If you were a streetwise  mhk  with that department you wouldn’t listen to the crap being fed to you, wouldn’t you be going down to the prom asking the coalface workers what the hells going on a regular basis and no that’s not interference it’s all are hard earned money that’s getting wasted. 

Going and asking workpeople what is going on would have the civil servants in fits of apoplexy. 

I am beginning to feel sorry for Mr Baker and that cannot be good a picture to have of any MHK. As for his chance of re-election it could not be more damaging at this time.

He can get a little red faced in Tynwald when defending his position -wonder if he will do so not his next visit there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Apple said:

Going and asking workpeople what is going on would have the civil servants in fits of apoplexy. 

I am beginning to feel sorry for Mr Baker and that cannot be good a picture to have of any MHK. As for his chance of re-election it could not be more damaging at this time.

He can get a little red faced in Tynwald when defending his position -wonder if he will do so not his next visit there. 

I tend to agree, he is the public face of this mess which tbh is not of his making. It started badly with Gawne at the helm and then continued with Harmer and more latterly with Baker. The masters of this disaster are the ones who planned and implemented the project, Baker had no chance of making any meaningful impact due to 1. the DoI management who started this were still in place and 2. The covid restrictions, and 3. the stage of works already commenced upon taking up his position. Baker will end up being the fall guy, but it should be Black and Co, with an dishonorable mention to Gawne.

• Like 3

I don't feel sorry for Baker. He willingly took on the job of minister for infrastructure so he deserves everything that's coming his way. 

At the very least he could show a bit of spine and stop defending the civil servants behind this shameful, money-wasting debacle. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I don't feel sorry for Baker. He willingly took on the job of minister for infrastructure so he deserves everything that's coming his way. 

At the very least he could show a bit of spine and stop defending the civil servants behind this shameful, money-wasting debacle. 

It is not about feeling sorry for Baker, he is a politician and they need thick skin, it is about correctly apportioned blame. Personally if I were Baker I would ‘call out’ any failings in the DoI management and propose changes as I don’t think he has got much to lose anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Baker made his bed months ago. There are numerous videos with Paul Moulton where he goes on the attack, anyone who questions the delays apparently doesn't understand the complexity of the underground work. 

Tim Baker chose his side and chose to defend civil servants and contractors against the indefensible.

The lot of them are carpetbaggers, shysters and just plain incompetent. They believe their own self-importance is more valuable than being accountable to the taxpayers. 

Anyone with half a backbone would have stopped trying to defend them months ago. Anyone with any sense of shame would resign and apologise, but instead he goes on the attack - just see his latest Paul Moulton video or the Mannin Line with Alex Brindley on 30th June (while it's still available). 

He squirms and slithers like a politician snake, he can't accept there are serious short comings in his department. 

Hopefully Ayre and Michael will do the right thing. 

• Like 12

This news is the latest in what is just a complete mess in more ways than one. A friend with a shop around Queens prom was told paving would start there 3 weeks ago and as of yesterday they were still digging out and preparing ground. Although the red concrete was mentioned today its clearly not been worked out how to fix it I'm at a loss to know how unless they dig it all up tbh so that will take weeks and would no way be done in the '4' weeks allocated for snagging. So the suggested completion is now end of October but I am saying be lucky to be done by xmas. Then rinse repeat next year to finish all the bits temporary carried out currently. Is just mind blowing and then theres the quality of the work which is very poor and will need sorted over the next 12 months. Also another factor not mentioned is the Prom walkway which also is very poor now   

Edited by Numbnuts

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

He squirms and slithers like a politician snake, he can't accept there are serious short comings in his department.

Or the fact that Beaman's have also pointed this out in black-and-white, apparently. One of the last edicts was that he was leaving the Dept in better shape than he found it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Will the contractors be facing a penalty for not completing this on time? Completing other more profitable projects isn’t an excuse, they aren’t a charity.

To be fair to Auldyn, it's probably the sub-contractors they hire that are working on other projects

8 minutes ago, kevster said:

To be fair to Auldyn, it's probably the sub-contractors they hire that are working on other projects

I’m sure they have a big book of excuses but if the sub contractors are making more elsewhere then that suggests Auldyn simply isn’t paying the sub contractors enough, at that point it’s upto Auldyn to do what it takes to get the job done, either pay more or find another contractor. Is it not a case of taking the rough with the smooth with major projects or do you just take credit for the good bits? what’s the point of a tender process if the DOI have to step in and help finish the project anyway?

Does make me laugh seeing these contractors using old DOI equipment & vehicles, they buy the vehicles/equipment from the DOI and effectively sub contract back to them, it’s like going full circle.

Tim Baker is a plucky guy, and has featured on two video interviews today, with Manx Radio and Paul Moulton Isle of Man TV.

But I feel that via him, he is being walked over. It doesn't instill confidence for the future.

I agree with him that it is a hugely challenging project for the Isle of Man and tests the ability of the Government to get major projects done.

For those and many, many reasons, the project should have been carried out in manageable stages.

Obviously. Clearly. And obviously again.

It is vert reminiscent of the huge clusterfuck that was and is the IRIS project. 

• Like 2