Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You know, circumstances change, shit happens.Get over it.

The one circumstance that hasnt changed is the DOI involvement in another complete mess. With whats been said today by Baker is not the end of the saga and believe me and with nearly 45 years involved in and around all aspects of the building trade I wish it was. Yes unforseen crop up on any project be it a large or small contract. But this in all honesty as I've said before is more than a few 'mistakes' or unforseen issues. Its bordering on gross incompetence in management and contractors overseeing .  

• Like 4

I think Baker has been brilliant , clearly holds the opinion of the last person he spoke to and believes in divine intervention , which is probably the only way he’ll get that prom finished. He needs to pray hard , real hard.

Just now, Numbnuts said:

The one circumstance that hasnt changed is the DOI involvement in another complete mess. With whats been said today by Baker is not the end of the saga and believe me and with nearly 45 years involved in and around all aspects of the building trade I wish it was. Yes unforseen crop up on any project be it a large or small contract. But this in all honesty as I've said before is more than a few 'mistakes' or unforseen issues. Its bordering on gross incompetence in management and contractors overseeing .  

And you are privy to all the plans, circumstances and decisions surrounding the project  that you can make such a statement?

I may have 45 years experience in my field ( slightly less actually) but that does not qualify me to pass judgement on a project I have no involvement with. 

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And everyone is a civil engineer?

I’m a civil engineer but a pretty crap one. That why I’ve spent the last 3 years working on the prom. I’m so crap I reckon I can get 10 years more work out of it. And still make a pigs ear of it. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

No.

Everyone knew it would be a disaster before it started, that the plans were daft, and that it would overrun in both time and money.

All anyone normal wanted was a functional road.

They didn't know. That would be impossible. Perhaps the correct description would be that, sadly, no one is surprised it is a disaster. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And you are privy to all the plans, circumstances and decisions surrounding the project  that you can make such a statement?

I may have 45 years experience in my field ( slightly less actually) but that does not qualify me to pass judgement on a project I have no involvement with. 

Are you real ?? I've been blessed with a brain , eyes in my head and a good understanding of the works involved having done most of them be it at a smaller level. Mind you I did work on the airship concrete base and ring beams ( no cracks!) . I also have taken note from the start of the contract and its progression and the continuous announcement of delays and substandard work needing ripped up and redone . I also have people I know well who've worked on the prom. Despite my knowledge it isnt needed to know that the whole job is a complete cluster**** and we are all going to have to put up with continued snagging throughout the year to come . 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Tim, you haven't been an MHK for 45 years (although it does feel like it).

Just now, Happier diner said:

They didn't know. That would be impossible. Perhaps the correct description would be that, sadly, no one is surprised it is a disaster. 

I knew. but I take your point.

Some other stuff I know - if you pour a massive strip of concrete down the middle of the road using rails as shutters and then stick plant either side to smash the rest of the road out your concrete will definitely crack, and if you've coloured the concrete it will be virtually impossible to patch it up without it looking shit.

But I'm not a civil engineer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Really? After 45 years you should be able to do the "sniff test".  If not, you have wasted 45 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Wasted on you obviously.

Not sure how you can even be sarcastic or joke about something that’s taken 10 years to get to this stage.

Have a look at MT for example who are planning to roll out Fibre across the entire island within a 4 year period, think of the planning and infrastructure involved with that, then look again at that sorry mess of a prom.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

I knew. but I take your point.

Some other stuff I know - if you pour a massive strip of concrete down the middle of the road using rails as shutters and then stick plant either side to smash the rest of the road out your concrete will definitely crack, and if you've coloured the concrete it will be virtually impossible to patch it up without it looking shit.

But I'm not a civil engineer.

Re the coloured concrete , agree totally . Time delay and the fading of the colour make it almost impossible to match any never mind all of it. With patch testing and weighing out the colour and mix you can get close but theres already patches which are much darker . Said all along dont know how they are going to patch the cracks ! Only way is to rip all the concrete up and redo it all but cant see them keen on doing that for many reasons . 

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Re the coloured concrete , agree totally . Time delay and the fading of the colour make it almost impossible to match any never mind all of it. With patch testing and weighing out the colour and mix you can get close but theres already patches which are much darker . Said all along dont know how they are going to patch the cracks ! Only way is to rip all the concrete up and redo it all but cant see them keen on doing that for many reasons . 

I've spent quite some time trying to colour match stuff, its a total nuisance on a small scale, doing it for the prom? Ugh, no way.

I remain completely baffled at the choice of concrete as a finished surface for the road, especially between the tracks.