Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I've spent quite some time trying to colour match stuff, its a total nuisance on a small scale, doing it for the prom? Ugh, no way.

I remain completely baffled at the choice of concrete as a finished surface for the road, especially between the tracks.

Agree with you but can be done . Tbh its no different for a large area or smaller as its all about mixing consistent amounts of colour in with the sand and cement which needs to be consistent too  etc but you need a good feel for how it drys out to be able to make a acceptable colour patch .As you know it drys so much lighter . Yes they didn't make it easier for themselves with the concrete and additive. In 3 years it will be virtually grey as the weather and sun fade it out.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I've spent quite some time trying to colour match stuff, its a total nuisance on a small scale, doing it for the prom? Ugh, no way.

I remain completely baffled at the choice of concrete as a finished surface for the road, especially between the tracks.

I have been told by somebody on the job the plan is to plane off some of the concrete and use red tarmac. Quite how a planer will deal with the steel in the concrete I don't know 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I have been told by somebody on the job the plan is to plane off some of the concrete and use red tarmac. Quite how a planer will deal with the steel in the concrete I don't know 

The red bits should have been tarmac anyway, if they had to have them at all. Rails flex, tarmac flexes, reinforced concrete does not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

They will simply get a bespoke machine made, at considerable expense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

No.

Everyone knew it would be a disaster before it started, that the plans were daft, and that it would overrun in both time and money.

All anyone normal wanted was a functional road.

13 hours ago, Happier diner said:

They didn't know. That would be impossible. Perhaps the correct description would be that, sadly, no one is surprised it is a disaster. 

Anyone who's been paying attention for the past 20-30 years definitely knew it was going to a disaster and that's why no one's surprised. It's as simple as that. 

To say the plans were daft is a gross understatement. As the Teapot said, all anyone wanted was a functional road. No one wanted dysfunctional oval roundabouts or pointless red concrete. 

A functional road could have been achieved at a fraction of the cost in a fraction of the time it has taken thus far, and it's still an on-going costly nightmare. 

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3