Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, Chie said:

5. Issue a public apology and explain in detail all the different ways and reasons as to why this f*ckery will never happen again.

An absolute anathema not only to the Govt and public sector ethos but also political egos. It amounts to an admission of failure that can open up all sorts of cans of wriggly things and cause any amount of embarrassment and questions, that's why it doesn't happen very often.

It's much better to stay schtum and pretend that all's well and let the public seeth whilst still being obliged to pay for it.

After all, they can't actually do anything about it, short of turfing the political figurehead out at the next election, which means FA in the great scheme of things.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Murray Lambden made the most noise against the most sensible option once decision was made to keep the horse trams.

Seems trams in busy centre of Manchester can work without miaming and injuring thousands every day, but couldn't possibly live with that risk on the prom walkway. Grrr.

But trams in Manchester do (mostly) go down the middle of the road, just like the horse trams did.  So that would be an argument for keeping things as they were.  The real problem has been Longworth's fantasy of running electric trams on the horse tram tracks (even though that was excluded by Tynwald) and the way the DoI tried to accommodate that fantasy.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Murray Lambden made the most noise against the most sensible option once decision was made to keep the horse trams.

Seems trams in busy centre of Manchester can work without miaming and injuring thousands every day, but couldn't possibly live with that risk on the prom walkway. Grrr.

Maybe there is a plan to run similar trams along the Promenade?

But as things stand (I have heard the sound of horse trams clip-clopping past our house for the last 25 years) there is no requirement for anything other than a single track. It is as clear and obvious as it can be.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Chie said:

What they should do is....

1. Sack Auldyn, ensure no one ever hires them again, make them pay everything back, fine them a further considerable sum for good measure. Because, let's be fair, government issues or no government issues. They are rinsing the tax payer for all they are worth and the know it. After seeing this charade, I will never ever consider hiring them for any building work.

2. Sack the idiots who started this debacle in the first place. Require them to walk nude through the streets of Douglas with shame signs around their necks. Preferably chained to pieces of the broken promenade that they have to drag behind them.

3. Bring over one of the English companies that work efficiently and quickly on motorways, promenades, 24 hours a day etc in England. Yes it will cost more money but at least it will finally get done in a respectable amount of time. If anyone dares to cry "But what about the Manx workers". Tough.....tough sh*t....they had their chance.

4. Launch an official investigation into the DOI by an independent third party so as to try to avoid "Boys Club Bias".

5. Issue a public apology and explain in detail all the different ways and reasons as to why this f*ckery will never happen again.

.....and then wake up.!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, finlo said:

Slightly O/T but has anyone else had the delight of traversing the 30m or so 2 week's worth of resurfacing on Station rd in Ramsey? 

I've been up smoother farm tracks!

We were commenting on that yesterday. Feels like it's been flattened out with the back of a shovel

12 minutes ago, finlo said:

Slightly O/T but has anyone else had the delight of traversing the 30m or so 2 week's worth of resurfacing on Station rd in Ramsey? 

I've been up smoother farm tracks!

To be fair, it's better than what was there before but it was a 2" plane off and then a man-and-barrows job, rather than one pass with a Blaw Knox so it's all different sections.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

To be fair, it's better than what was there before but it was a 2" plane off and then a man-and-barrows job, rather than one pass with a Blaw Knox so it's all different sections.

Blaw Knox, showing your age there!

PS that's how I refer to them that or a"Barber Green"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, b4mbi said:

There was never a plan for a single track along the whole length of the prom. One of the biggest issue is that there has never been a plan for anything other than a double track from Broadway to Summerhill - the narrowest part of the road where all the tailbacks are. In fact in their ultimate wisdom they have made the tramway even wider on this section of the prom.

36 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

There was never a plan for a single track along the whole length of the prom. One of the biggest issue is that there has never been a plan for anything other than a double track from Broadway to Summerhill - the narrowest part of the road where all the tailbacks are. In fact in their ultimate wisdom they have made the tramway even wider on this section of the prom.

This is one of the most frustrating things about this. It's been 'designed' to be more inconvenient that then Victorian layout it replaces.

• Like 1

This weeks Tynwald questions seem to be delayed, perhaps to enable Mr Baker to have more time to gather the details of the latest news regarding the Promenade. He is bound to be asked about it in this administration's last Tynwald. I would imagine there are a record number of questions (or there about) being tabled. 

Given the items on the Order paper it looks as if there are also some other questions I gather that are being considered that may be a little bit more difficult or sensitive but how they are going to be dealt with and who by that may prove to be a little more challenging. 

I expect there will be a little bit of headline grabbing and outright political showmanship on display by some (it is a pity they don't televise Tynwald ) and of course changes to personnel to announce / consider as well.

And that's all before details of whatever they have decided with regard to Covid - updated travel information, child bubbles in schools and the number of cases / vaccinations etc.

And the Bee Gees of course. 

Edited by Apple
child bubbles corrected from child bibles

1 hour ago, Apple said:

This weeks Tynwald questions seem to be delayed, perhaps to enable Mr Baker to have more time to gather the details of the latest news regarding the Promenade. He is bound to be asked about it in this administration's last Tynwald. I would imagine there are a record number of questions (or there about) being tabled. 

Given the items on the Order paper it looks as if there are also some other questions I gather that are being considered that may be a little bit more difficult or sensitive but how they are going to be dealt with and who by that may prove to be a little more challenging. 

I expect there will be a little bit of headline grabbing and outright political showmanship on display by some (it is a pity they don't televise Tynwald ) and of course changes to personnel to announce / consider as well.

And that's all before details of whatever they have decided with regard to Covid - updated travel information, child bibles in schools and the number of cases / vaccinations etc.

And the Bee Gees of course. 

Question papers don't come out till the Thursday before sitting. So no delay. It would be difficult to beat the question papers caused by Peter Karran and his ilk.

They shouldn't ask questions on the  Bee Gees as it is Douglas Borough Council but Moorhouse asked one on the prom street furniture which is DBC.

As for televising, if you have ever popped in to watch a sitting then I would not recommend it.

• Like 1