Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

19 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Murray Lambden made the most noise against the most sensible option once decision was made to keep the horse trams.

Seems trams in busy centre of Manchester can work without miaming and injuring thousands every day, but couldn't possibly live with that risk on the prom walkway. Grrr.

They have ultimately installed something that is intrinsically unsafe by copying what was there, when the opportunity existed to do something new that prevented passengers having to board and alight into a live lane of traffic.

not that you will actually be able to pass on Queens Prom. They’ve widened the track separation to the extent that they will either have to lose the key side parking or folk will have to sit behind the tram. Buses certainly will.

which also begs the question why you have two modes of public transport plying the same route?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Question papers don't come out till the Thursday before sitting. So no delay.

Correct - apologies. I was told they have to be in by lunchtime today so it looks like a packed Tynwald question paper well.

Yes, I have been in to watch and it is darned uncomfortable on those benches, the acoustics are poor, the heating struggles at times in winter and it would get the members off their iPads (probably not). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

They have ultimately installed something that is intrinsically unsafe by copying what was there, when the opportunity existed to do something new that prevented passengers having to board and alight into a live lane of traffic.

not that you will actually be able to pass on Queens Prom. They’ve widened the track separation to the extent that they will either have to lose the key side parking or folk will have to sit behind the tram. Buses certainly will.

which also begs the question why you have two modes of public transport plying the same route?

80% plus of drivers I used to see on the prom could not pass the horse cars before and agree there will be no chance now. Stupid design of the whole prom though, single track along seaside of road would have been adequate.

Many places in the world have two modes of transport on same route, you need to get out of your estate and visit Blackpool:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

This is one of the most frustrating things about this. It's been 'designed' to be more inconvenient that then Victorian layout it replaces.

The whole redevelopment (narrowing, less parking, keeping / widening the horse/electric tram tracks, roundels, shared space etc) IMHO is one massive traffic calming exercise, reducing vehicular speeds on the prom. 

(but OK they've taken the chance to update/upgrade all services to properties on the prom)

Edited by b4mbi

On more than a few occasions if I couldn’t undertake the horse tram, I would overtake instead, far to many people are happy to sit behind the tram seemingly oblivious to the growing number of vehicles behind them.

Undertaking you’ve got to be careful of the tram stopping/passengers disembarking, quite a few narrow points were there isn’t much clearance, certainly not the doors width you are supposed to allow parked vehicles.

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Yes, because loads of people have died due to this?

36 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

The whole redevelopment (narrowing, less parking, keeping / widening the horse/electric tram tracks, roundels, shared space etc) IMHO is one massive traffic calming exercise, reducing vehicular speeds on the prom. 

(but OK they've taken the chance to update/upgrade all services to properties on the prom)

And probably rightly so.

The future is getting traffic off the prom and people out of cars in general.  It's completely logical.

They just also need to ramp up parking charges and increase public transport options.

38 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

On more than a few occasions if I couldn’t undertake the horse tram, I would overtake instead, far to many people are happy to sit behind the tram seemingly oblivious to the growing number of vehicles behind them.

So it's you, is it? Does it really cause too much of a delay? Have you not read the Highway Code?

301 Always give way to trams, particularly when turning across the tracks. Overtake only on the left of a tram. If driving a large or heavy vehicle, do not follow too closely to a tram.

39 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

And probably rightly so.

The future is getting traffic off the prom and people out of cars in general.  It's completely logical.

They just also need to ramp up parking charges and increase public transport options.

More nails in the coffin of Douglas then. 
I for one avoid the place like the plague already. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

There was never a plan for a single track along the whole length of the prom. One of the biggest issue is that there has never been a plan for anything other than a double track from Broadway to Summerhill

There literally was. It was even granted planning permission in 2018.

As others have said it was met with resistance from the late Murray Lambden and Co. who ran a Facebook campaign against the idea. 

Details below:

https://services.gov.im/planningapplication/services/planning/planningapplicationdetails.iom?ApplicationReferenceNumber=18%2F00003%2FB

27 minutes ago, forestboy said:

More nails in the coffin of Douglas then. 
I for one avoid the place like the plague already. 

I also avoid Douglas and hardly ever venture into the centre or prom area. Nothing there that attracts me and the shopping is not worth the hassle of getting in, parked and out of it. Had to work there and always felt I was traveling from a beautiful part of the Island to a shit hole. All that has happened since is a reinforcement of the desire to give it a wide berth. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

So it's you, is it? Does it really cause too much of a delay? Have you not read the Highway Code?

301 Always give way to trams, particularly when turning across the tracks. Overtake only on the left of a tram. If driving a large or heavy vehicle, do not follow too closely to a tram.

I will carry on doing it, I also overtook a cyclist on solid white lines on the mountain the other day who was travelling at least 20 miles an hour, lock me up and throw away the key.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

And probably rightly so.

or build more cycle lanes