Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 minute ago, the stinking enigma said:

A cycle to work scheme could only be dreamed up by somebody working a 37 hour week on flexi time. 

I wonder if Mark Cavendish cycles to work?

• Haha 2

Cyclists cause a lot of the problems. Cycling is not the solution to the problems on the Island roads. They are a danger to other road users and are major contributors to the congestion problems.

I used to engage in arguments re cyclists paying road tax (call it what you will) and being insured etc but have come to the conclusion that none of this would solve anything.

Better that we keep them off public roads and let them indulge their hobby and their fitness regimes in other environments, like cycling round and round the NSC racetrack for which they could pay a small charge.

That should keep everyone happy. A win win situation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Cyclists cause a lot of the problems. Cycling is not the solution to the problems on the Island roads. They are a danger to other road users and are major contributors to the congestion problems.

I used to engage in arguments re cyclists paying road tax (call it what you will) and being insured etc but have come to the conclusion that none of this would solve anything.

Better that we keep them off public roads and let them indulge their hobby and their fitness regimes in other environments, like cycling round and round the NSC racetrack for which they could pay a small charge.

Not quite sure you get this push bike thing. I like them 

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

First sensible thing I've heard you say you feeling ok?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

And this is why ! 

The Cycle to Work Scheme is a scheme which allows all Isle of Man Government permanent employees who meet the conditions outlined in Section 5 to obtain cycles and cycle safety equipment from their employer. ... The cost to the employer is no more than £1,200 per employee in any period of three tax years.

Most big companies over here offer a cycle to work scheme. It is not exclusive to the Government. Treasury put the legislation in place a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

a bicycle is a mode of transport the same as cars and motorbikes are,  

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

And this is why ! 

The Cycle to Work Scheme is a scheme which allows all Isle of Man Government permanent employees who meet the conditions outlined in Section 5 to obtain cycles and cycle safety equipment from their employer. ... The cost to the employer is no more than £1,200 per employee in any period of three tax years.

You should learn to look into things before embarking on a rant

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Idiotic post of the decade.