Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Cyclists cause a lot of the problems. Cycling is not the solution to the problems on the Island roads. They are a danger to other road users and are major contributors to the congestion problems.

I don’t particularly like cyclists on the road, get stuck behind them more times than I care to remember but in that respect it’s only going to get worse, they actively encourage more people cycling and want less people driving.

If more cyclists wore video cameras I think that would weed out a few of the terrible drivers and that would actually do everyone a favour.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I don’t particularly like cyclists on the road, get stuck behind them more times than I care to remember but in that respect it’s only going to get worse, they actively encourage more people cycling and want less people driving.

If more cyclists wore video cameras I think that would weed out a few of the terrible drivers and that would actually do everyone a favour.

Who are 'they' though? The niche cycling interest group that seems to be exerting undue influence over road policies? 

I certainly don't think that the massively pro-cycling agenda is universally supported by the electorate 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

And this is why ! 

The Cycle to Work Scheme is a scheme which allows all Isle of Man Government permanent employees who meet the conditions outlined in Section 5 to obtain cycles and cycle safety equipment from their employer. ... The cost to the employer is no more than £1,200 per employee in any period of three tax years.

This has been a thing since 2017. 

It's not a free bike!  If your employer wants to play, you basically get them to put a portion of your salary aside over three years (up to £1000 for pedal or £2000 for electric) and you don't pay the usual tax on that portion of your salary. 

It's basically a tax incentivized hire purchase scheme for bikes.  Ultimately you still buy the bike, but your employer purchases it outright initially and then you pay them back over 3 years minus the tax that you would have paid. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Er....that might work the other way too. If more drivers had dashcams etc, it might weed out some of the inconsiderate cyclists, that would actually do another favour. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Who are 'they' though? The niche cycling interest group that seems to be exerting undue influence over road policies? 

I certainly don't think that the massively pro-cycling agenda is universally supported by the electorate 

There is active encouragement from all areas, it’s not any particular niche or club, it seems to be an entire movement, like it or lump it cycling will continue to grow in popularity, anyone expressing their dislike of road cycling is wasting their time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Cyclists cause a lot of the problems. Cycling is not the solution to the problems on the Island roads. They are a danger to other road users and are major contributors to the congestion problems.

I used to engage in arguments re cyclists paying road tax (call it what you will) and being insured etc but have come to the conclusion that none of this would solve anything.

Better that we keep them off public roads and let them indulge their hobby and their fitness regimes in other environments, like cycling round and round the NSC racetrack for which they could pay a small charge.

That should keep everyone happy. A win win situation.

Dumbest post of the year?

What next, ban walkers as they are a pain as they keep wanting to cross the road and holding you up. Buses as well, pulling out into the traffic all the time. They are just causing more congestion.

What is it with some car drivers that think the roads are just made for them and can't be bothered to walk more than 10 yards in case they get tired.

The congestion is because there are too many cars. If there was just walkers, buses, lorries and cycles there would be no congestion.

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Er....that might work the other way too. If more drivers had dashcams etc, it might weed out some of the inconsiderate cyclists, that would actually do another favour. 

I’ve encountered more inconsiderate driving (must get past at all costs......) towards cyclists than I ever have ever seen inconsiderate cycling, I’ve witnessed quite a few cyclists speed through 20/30 zones and yet they still get overtaken.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’ve encountered more inconsiderate driving (must get past at all costs......) towards cyclists than I ever have ever seen inconsiderate cycling, I’ve witnessed quite a few cyclists speed through 20/30 zones and yet they still get overtaken.

Under the current trend, cyclists are unfortunately being led to believe, and frequently displaying the belief, that they can do no wrong, are permanently in the right and are a paragon of traffic virtue. They are not.

Let's discuss cyclists apparently being under the impression that traffic lights, lanes and signage regularly don't apply to them. Their regular use of non-cyclist-designated pavements and footpaths. Holding up long queues of traffic behind them whilst cycling more than two abreast, happily chatting to each other, at a cost to other roads users, businesses and the environment. Wearing of stereo earbuds rendering them unable to hear what's going on around them, thus a danger to themselves and others. Let's lob in kids charging around the streets at night in dark clothing on bmx bikes that by their nature are not fitted with either lights or brakes. Not so many years ago coppers used to pull people for all sorts of stuff like that.

Personally, I'll have more sympathy for cycling in general when they start thinking a little less "holier than thou" and observing some of the traffic laws applicable to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Peter Layman said:

You should learn to look into things before embarking on a rant

Really !!! And what rant have I embarked on. I have copied and pasted of a Government site in response to a question. Government have made it attractive to buy a bike . Fact 

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Personally, I'll have more sympathy for cycling in general when they start thinking a little less "holier than thou" and observing some of the traffic laws applicable to them.

Well as a driver you can only be responsible for your own actions and behaviour. If someone else disregards the rules your options are either ignore them or report them.

You could argue that if your witnessing all this bad cycling and you chose not to report it, perhaps it makes you part of the problem.

• Like 1

Just now, Annoymouse said:

Well as a driver you can only be responsible for your own actions and behaviour. If someone else disregards the rules your options are either ignore them or report them.

You could argue that if your witnessing all this bad cycling and you chose not to report it, perhaps it makes you part of the problem.

It would make the job easier if they carried some sort of ID, like a registration number.

• Like 4