Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It would make the job easier if they carried some sort of ID, like a registration number.

The encouragement of everyone having a fitted dash cam would also make life easier, lots of people might think twice before incriminating themselves, so hopefully we’d see less reckless driving as a result, plus you’d have almost certainly have a witness for cycling incidents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

F2C473C6-20B9-4405-9982-056D5580CA0A.gif

Yes it's clear that there is no explanation for the entire Prom scheme than trying to open a portal to Hellmouth.  Nothing else would explain the cost, length of time or complete lack of progress than it being a front for some completely different objective. 

Those concentric ovals are clearly a part of some fiendish conjuration and Nick Black is an even more obvious pseudonym for the Devil than Nick Shadow..  No human being could be genuinely that incompetent.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes it's clear that there is no explanation for the entire Prom scheme than trying to open a portal to Hellmouth.  Nothing else would explain the cost, length of time or complete lack of progress than it being a front for some completely different objective. 

Those concentric ovals are clearly a part of some fiendish conjuration and Nick Black is an even more obvious pseudonym for the Devil than Nick Shadow..  No human being could be genuinely that incompetent.

In fairness whilst Nick Black is incompetent the bottom of Broadway seems to only be a big issue to idiots who (a) dont have any confidence in their ability to drive and (b) simply don't like any form of change and seem to think they experts of roundels etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Under the current trend, cyclists are unfortunately being led to believe, and frequently displaying the belief, that they can do no wrong, are permanently in the right and are a paragon of traffic virtue. They are not.

Let's discuss cyclists apparently being under the impression that traffic lights, lanes and signage regularly don't apply to them. Their regular use of non-cyclist-designated pavements and footpaths. Holding up long queues of traffic behind them whilst cycling more than two abreast, happily chatting to each other, at a cost to other roads users, businesses and the environment. Wearing of stereo earbuds rendering them unable to hear what's going on around them, thus a danger to themselves and others. Let's lob in kids charging around the streets at night in dark clothing on bmx bikes that by their nature are not fitted with either lights or brakes. Not so many years ago coppers used to pull people for all sorts of stuff like that.

Personally, I'll have more sympathy for cycling in general when they start thinking a little less "holier than thou" and observing some of the traffic laws applicable to them.

I have no issue with kids charging round on bikes having fun.  It's a right of passage.

The people on the roads is a different discussion.  The worst part though is drivers who insist on not passing a cyclist unless they have the room as if they were passing a car. It's infuriating.

• Like 1

I use an ordinary bike for most of my local travel between villages. No spandex, no fancy gear, just an easy speed.

But some car drivers will insist on overtaking, as is their right, far too close when I am out on the bike. I think some of them just do it for fun (!). D***heads. 

If possible now I will use an empty footpath as feels much safer there. 

Yes, I drive a car as well. 

42 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

The people on the roads is a different discussion.  The worst part though is drivers who insist on not passing a cyclist unless they have the room as if they were passing a car. It's infuriating.

Unfortunately I’m one of those people, I will wait for an opportunity with no oncoming traffic and give the cyclist as much room as a car wherever possible (it’s not always possible, say Quarterbridge road where it’s quite a wide road and I’ll just take up a bit of the opposing lane)  that is the way I was taught and it stuck with me ever since. I’ve never felt the need to blindly overtake or squeeze through and I don’t understand why anyone else does? For me it’s not worth it, a cyclist is vulnerable and one wobble/pothole away from being under your car, I only ever get stuck behind the blind swerve around driver who does 40mph everywhere anyway, so what’s the rush?

Are you someone that complains about cyclists riding two abreast when you should be giving them the same passing distance regardless? I find it easier to pass them 2 abreast as one hazard.

When I drive past a school at kicking out time with kids typically overcrowding the pavement if it’s clear to do so I’ll also straddle the white line, just incase a kid gets pushed/shoved or falls off the kerb, again it’s something I was taught and it’s served me well so far, I’ve witnessed a few near misses typically between boisterous lads finding it funny to push their mates into the roadway.

Quite honestly I like cycling and would be more of a cyclist if I hadn't fallen off my bike. The trouble is that has become more dangerous in recent years, solely due to the growth of the size of cars. making a pass on a cyclist once hardly involved an incursion onto the opposite side of the road, if at all. Now, even on our major roads, a simple overtake needs you to straddle the centre of the road, leading to a lot of the frustrations against the poor cyclist.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Under the current trend, cyclists are unfortunately being led to believe, and frequently displaying the belief, that they can do no wrong, are permanently in the right and are a paragon of traffic virtue. They are not.

Let's discuss cyclists apparently being under the impression that traffic lights, lanes and signage regularly don't apply to them. Their regular use of non-cyclist-designated pavements and footpaths. Holding up long queues of traffic behind them whilst cycling more than two abreast, happily chatting to each other, at a cost to other roads users, businesses and the environment. Wearing of stereo earbuds rendering them unable to hear what's going on around them, thus a danger to themselves and others. Let's lob in kids charging around the streets at night in dark clothing on bmx bikes that by their nature are not fitted with either lights or brakes. Not so many years ago coppers used to pull people for all sorts of stuff like that.

Personally, I'll have more sympathy for cycling in general when they start thinking a little less "holier than thou" and observing some of the traffic laws applicable to them.

This would win the Generalisation of the decade award (for generalisation and tyoe casting)

Perhaps it would be better said

Under the current trend, some cyclists are unfortunately being led to believe, and frequently displaying the belief, that they can do no wrong, are permanently in the right and are a paragon of traffic virtue. They are not.

Let's discuss some cyclists apparently being under the impression that traffic lights, lanes and signage regularly don't apply to them. Their regular use of non-cyclist-designated pavements and footpaths. Holding up long queues of traffic behind them whilst some  cycling more than two abreast, happily chatting to each other, at a cost to other roads users, businesses and the environment. Wearing of stereo earbuds rendering them unable to hear what's going on around them, thus a danger to themselves and others. Let's lob in some kids charging around the streets at night in dark clothing on bmx bikes that by their nature are not fitted with either lights or brakes. Not so many years ago coppers used to pull people for all sorts of stuff like that.

Personally, I'll have more sympathy for cycling in general when they some start thinking a little less "holier than thou" and observing some of the traffic laws applicable to some of them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

This would win the Generalisation of the decade award (for generalisation and tyoe casting)

Under the current trend, some cyclists are unfortunately being led to believe, and frequently displaying the belief, that they can do no wrong, are permanently in the right and are a paragon of traffic virtue. They are not.

Let's discuss some cyclists apparently being under the impression that traffic lights, lanes and signage regularly don't apply to them. Their regular use of non-cyclist-designated pavements and footpaths. Holding up long queues of traffic behind them whilst some  cycling more than two abreast, happily chatting to each other, at a cost to other roads users, businesses and the environment. Wearing of stereo earbuds rendering them unable to hear what's going on around them, thus a danger to themselves and others. Let's lob in some kids charging around the streets at night in dark clothing on bmx bikes that by their nature are not fitted with either lights or brakes. Not so many years ago coppers used to pull people for all sorts of stuff like that.

Personally, I'll have more sympathy for cycling in general when they some start thinking a little less "holier than thou" and observing some of the traffic laws applicable to some of them.

If the bad cyclists were  easier to identify by some means and the police showed even the slightest interest in dealing with the worst offenders then a lot (some) of the dislike of the cyclists may dissipate.

Lots (some) of cyclists do not seem to like waiting a few seconds to pass pedestrians safely on pavements, even if they should not be on there in the first place. I mean if time was of the essence for your journey you would just use a car.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Under the current trend, some cyclists motorists are unfortunately being led to believe, and frequently displaying the belief, that they can do no wrong, are permanently in the right and are a paragon of traffic virtue. They are not.

Let's discuss some cyclists motorists apparently being under the impression that traffic lights, lanes and signage regularly don't apply to them. Their poor understanding of the highway code leads them to believe they have certain rights. They don't. Travelling in speeds in excess of their skill levels put both cyclists and pedestrians at risk. Let's lob in some kids boy racing around the streets at night in boy racer cars with speaker volumes at a deafening level. Not so many years ago coppers used to pull people for all sorts of stuff like that.

Personally, I'll have more sympathy for cycling motorists in general when they some start thinking a little less "holier than thou" and observing some of the traffic laws applicable to some of them.

Fixed

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

If the bad cyclists were  easier to identify by some means and the police showed even the slightest interest in dealing with the worst offenders then a lot (some) of the dislike of the cyclists may dissipate.

Lots (some) of cyclists do not seem to like waiting a few seconds to pass pedestrians safely on pavements, even if they should not be on there in the first place. I mean if time was of the essence for your journey you would just use a car.

No uncommon to see a copper in town step aside to allow a cyclist through on the pavement. 

28 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You're right. I should have said "MOST"...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

Fixed

Besides the obvious statement that two wrongs doe not make it right, with a motorist it is relatively easy to identify the vehicle and therefore report the matter to the police if they commit an offence or are driving dangerously. It is pretty well impossible with a cyclist.

The other day on the pavement outside the Villa I stopped a DOI worker who was cycling on the pavement and asked did he not see the cyclist dismount and the no cycling sign at the entrance to this pavement, he denied they existed and refused to give his name when asked or come with me and look at the signs and just rode off