Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Following on from the earlier cycling discussion, I thought this from Cheshire Fire and Rescue was quite good, unfortunately it will only appeal to those who actually have empathy and for some reason unknown when people seem to get into a vehicle it changes their personality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I see in today’s Rob Callister’s weekly blog, he says he went for a walk on the Promenade, and he understood all the complaints from the traders affected. I wonder if he took a pen and notepad along to note down all the defects etc. On the one hand he is a member of the department doing the work, and on the other hand he has remained quiet. Don’t rock the boat. He says he also went canvassing for the General Election and an Onchan constituent gave him a hard time, he accepted the voter was entitled to his views. How can Rob Callister possibly defend himself to an irate voter? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

I see in today’s Rob Callister’s weekly blog, he says he went for a walk on the Promenade, and he understood all the complaints from the traders affected. I wonder if he took a pen and notepad along to note down all the defects etc. On the one hand he is a member of the department doing the work, and on the other hand he has remained quiet. Don’t rock the boat. He says he also went canvassing for the General Election and an Onchan constituent gave him a hard time, he accepted the voter was entitled to his views. How can Rob Callister possibly defend himself to an irate voter? 

He's a master at fence sitting.

5 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

There were some impressive new cracks opening in the concrete today. 

They probably won't become too evident until the weather cools down.

I wonder if Rob C saw them on his walk. I hope he recorded this in his trusty Tynpotwald branded stationary notebook. Or perhaps he has a Tynpotwald clipboard? 

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I wonder if Rob C saw them on his walk. I hope he recorded this in his trusty Tynpotwald branded stationary notebook. Or perhaps he has a Tynpotwald clipboard? 

I think it's safe to say our Rob wouldn't know one end of a defect from another.

if you lay several hundred metres of cast steel in the ground ,encase it in concrete  with no flexible joints for expansion  its going to cause some serious damage ,especially on a hot summers day , the expanding steel has to go somewhere , all this is basic engineering and rails and fishplates have been around  since 1850's  perhaps the whole promenade rail will have to come up again and be laid properly with expansion joints  and a more flexible base ,

• Like 2