Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 minutes ago, Omobono said:

if you lay several hundred metres of cast steel in the ground ,encase it in concrete  with no flexible joints for expansion  its going to cause some serious damage ,especially on a hot summers day , the expanding steel has to go somewhere , all this is basic engineering and rails and fishplates have been around  since 1850's  perhaps the whole promenade rail will have to come up again and be laid properly with expansion joints  and a more flexible base ,

Exactly. None of this is new technology the basics of it have been around for over a century. 

Ideally they would lift the rails and consign it to history. 

Either way the concrete will have to be broken out and lifted. 

7 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Exactly. None of this is new technology the basics of it have been around for over a century. 

Ideally they would lift the rails and consign it to history. 

Either way the concrete will have to be broken out and lifted. 

There are the people who 'designed' the rail section and are presumably liable for any re-work required.

https://www.bsa.co.im/  

One wonders if a small organisation, who can't even create a website, will have sufficient professional imdemnity to cover several million pounds of reconstruction.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

There are the people who 'designed' the rail section and are presumably liable for any re-work required.

One wonders if a small organisation, who can't even create a website, will have sufficient professional imdemnity to cover several million pounds of reconstruction.

It will probably depend on  who signed it off. 

I've heard a runour that there was a layer of rubber encapsulation around the rail originally proposed, but this was taken out (allegedly) at the request of DOI to save £750k on the scheme. 

If there is any factual background to that then the 'rail designers' and Auldyn won't be paying a penny. 

13 hours ago, finlo said:

So is he now an authority in civil engineering?

Does Mr Callister has a degree in hindsight bias, as he also seems to say that at briefing he asked questions on such problems, that have now occurred. He could be just walking along the prom ticking boxes in his note book, to problems he foresaw.

Edited by Holte End

4 hours ago, Nellie said:

Are not these the same trusty people who designed  parts of IRIS and the Peel marina ?,and another  questionable projects ,I can't believe that running heritage railways for almost  150 years   we didn't have the  skill and capability  locally    to lay a couple of  replacement rails on the promenade  ,my word  it looks as if we are in a sorry state !

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nellie said:

It's been like that for years from memory.  They nominally have an office here  - I think I saw a plaque on Victoria Street recently, nice and near the Sea Terminal - but I don't think there's a real permanent presence.

But the website of their parent organisation in Wales is much more informative.  The list of the projects they are involved in on the Island is quite revealing:

Douglas Promenade

Airport Baggage Handling

Airport Runway Project

Airport Control Tower

Isle of Man Rail Crossings (plus several bridges)

Isle of Man Principal Rail Inspections

DEFA Headquarters

I.R.I.S.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's been like that for years from memory.  They nominally have an office here  - I think I saw a plaque on Victoria Street recently, nice and near the Sea Terminal - but I don't think there's a real permanent presence.

But the website of their parent organisation in Wales is much more informative.  The list of the projects they are involved in on the Island is quite revealing:

Douglas Promenade

Airport Baggage Handling

Airport Runway Project

Airport Control Tower

Isle of Man Rail Crossings (plus several bridges)

Isle of Man Principal Rail Inspections

DEFA Headquarters

I.R.I.S.

That's not a list I would be bragging about.

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

DOI are proposing the make the prom and surrounding roads 20MPH.  Personally I think it's a good idea and should be extended across all the towns.  But .... looks like it got snuck out as a public notice hidden in the back of the newspaper. 

• Like 1