Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

29 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I can't find it in amongst the beautiful pictures and the wild flowers.  Can you précis it for us?

I wonder how these wild flowers and their seeds will hold up to being lashed by salt water during the winter storms, will they come back in the following Spring and Summer? Or is it the intention to replant every year?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I wonder how these wild flowers and their seeds will hold up to being lashed by salt water during the winter storms, will they come back in the following Spring and Summer? Or is it the intention to replant every year?

They have no idea.... absolutely no idea, NB.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I wonder if it's too much to hope that they've put considerable thought into what's been planted and some of those varieties which are self-seeding and tolerant to salinity have been chosen, the varieties which grow on dunes, estuary shorelines and the like. The amount of rainfall we have can leach out and reduce salinity levels. A good layer of mulch helps in those locations also. As you say, whatever happens remains to be seen but it's worth noting that some of the lads on that team know their stuff and produce good results. 

24 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think these have been planted along the strip where the horse tram tracks are going to go next year.  So it doesn't really matter.  But yes 'meadow' flowers would look weirdly out of place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quilp said:

I wonder if it's too much to hope that they've put considerable thought into what's been planted and some of those varieties which are self-seeding and tolerant to salinity have been chosen, the varieties which grow on dunes, estuary shorelines and the like. The amount of rainfall we have can leach out and reduce salinity levels. A good layer of mulch helps in those locations also. As you say, whatever happens remains to be seen but it's worth noting that some of the lads on that team know their stuff and produce good results. 

Meadow flowers generally only thrive on poor alkaline soil. Soil pH here is way down on the pH scale.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

It would look better with some decent Manx palm trees planted all the way along Loch and some benches in between them. 

There's nothing Manx or palm about Cordyline australis otherwise known as the Cabbage Tree. Native to New Zealand, it belongs to the same family as asparagus

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kevster said:

There's nothing Manx or palm about Cordyline australis otherwise known as the Cabbage Tree. Native to New Zealand, it belongs to the same family as asparagus

That's another thing we've stolen from New Zealand along with the claim to of given women the right to vote before anywhere else in the world.

Either way, I reckon it would look alright. 

29 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

The horse trams are not going back there. No way will Tynwald blow £3m on it.

100% Agree.

To go back and install rails in that narrow corridor would mean, at least 24/ 7 traffic lights or a one way and it would cause lots of damage to the new kerbs and tarmac.

Never gonna happen.

1 hour ago, kevster said:

They're very good at blocking drains when the fronds come down.

• Like 1