Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

bit of an observation for you, a pothole crew arrived down my road yesterday, curtained twitched for a bit then got bored as they literally did nothing but drink tea and read a paper for 4 hours then filled a 1 foot square pothole in the 5 minutes before lunch and left.

if thats what the pothole crew get up to i can easily see why the prom will take 10 years to finish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

They filled a few little holes in the lane and left even more. Can't see any tangible reason why 'cos they are all a good few inches deep and over a foot wide.

It isn't as though they got so far and are then coming back, it just appears random.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the reason for all of the square holes they're digging randomly along Central prom and Harris prom? 

Thought they were getting ready to put the final surface down but not there's new hole digging. 

Could just be they ran out of round holes and have square holes left to use up. 

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Does anyone know the reason for all of the square holes they're digging randomly along Central prom and Harris prom? 

Thought they were getting ready to put the final surface down but not there's new hole digging. 

Yes , the random hole diggers had finished their other random hole digging so Tim Baker,  with authorization from Nick Black , instructed the minions to walk along the Prom and wherever it seemed the area was finished, to dig it up and make sure the cones and harris fencing hire was justified. On doing so they have been instructed to leave the random hole , fencing and cones and move on to the next one so the level of disruption is maintained.   

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:04 PM, AlanShimmin said:

Probably locations for all of the new signage translating the crayonista road markings into recognisable standard Highway Code signs and road markings. Have you ever noticed not one of the designers has come forward before or after the event to say "Hey, look at this design, isn't it cool and here is why...." Much in the same way as whoever was responsible for the design of the non-standard crossing at St Johns never came forward to defend it.

They are standard for a reason. I can imagine theee will be leaflets on the ferry for all visitng drivers to explain how to navigate Trumpton/Legotown highway.

• Like 3

From what I've seen most have various red paint markings with the letters M. H. included. So expect to find man holes under the layer of tarmac . I would imagine they put tarmac over them all and now they have to identify them all and reinstate before the top layers of tarmac are put down. The whole project is a joke with everything being done at least twice.              No one comes out of this project with any plus points. Another expensive DOI Disaster. 

• Like 3

On 7/26/2013 at 6:59 PM, Matt Bawden said:

Agreed, and in a few years time with the Prom done and the former Villiers site sorted, Middlemarch site, former Bus station site, Summerland site and all the Strand Street etc. regeneration all completed Douglas should look amazing.

I just looked back on this thread when it started 8 years ago.and the above is a quote  from an optomistic member.  Is it surprising that so many are now feeling disillusioned by the (non) events of the last few years .      I think many will feel let down with what has happened compared with what could have been done .  8 years on and Douglas looks aweful. Such a shame.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58021450

Ah here we go. I love the way everyone always cites Holland an almost flat country where thay have had a 40 year drive to cyclize (made up word) the nation. The biggest advantage being the majority of drivers are also cyclists so have an inherent understanding from the cyclists point of view of how it works. Not to mention the canal networks and public transport.

No doubt Black et als wet dream (though you never actually see them emerge from the bunker to deliver any sort of coherent policy or plan). Don't get me wrong. I think active travel is a wonderful idea. I walk as much as I can to shops, to meet friends for coffee or around town.

However, sometimes urgency, carrying capacity, location or distance dictates mechanical assitance but mostly its the inclement and changeable weather. Also running famly members who no longer drive or have mobility issues to various appointments etc. In most cases, even if I did cycle, it wouldn't be practical.

But the kicker is I don't see public transport as a realistic alternative either. First of all, is there one modern bus station anywhere on the network? Or an app like TfL so you can plan your journey in advance (something I did all the time for meeting in London where you could get get a mix of modes to determine what was best option on the day. So when I arrived at a stop or train station I knew exactly which number bus and when to expect it, or if I could walk a street over to another route to save 20 min).

For me, the ideal would be something like Oxford park and ride. Say in Douglas you follow a roughly orbital route from John Wattersons, Governors to Onchan roundabout down Summerhill onto the Prom, (turn front car park of Sea Terminal into a bus terminus) over the bridge along old Castletown Road up to Anagh Coar, Vicarage Road, Braddan Bridge, and back over Tromode. So you run two orbital bus routes, one in each direction which pick up satellite car parks for park and ride. One opposite the Cat with No Tail, one alongside the new Test Centre, etc.

You then stitch these together with spokes (shuttle back and forth with request and fixed stops) from Johhny Wattersone via Governors, Victoria Road to Bucks Road, to Sea Terminal and back. You get the idea. Run smaller buses on the basis that there is always a bus at each P&R which departs when full or the next one arrives. Peak times add extras as needed.  And you pay for both all day parking (with CCTV, lighting and security) and a zone ticket for the day to allow you as many journeys as you want on the primary route to town centre.

But that would take vision, an actual plan and a level of clarity and communication which seems beyond the current service providers.