Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

New news in tonight's Indy (P3) on the promenade front.

Project Manager Keith Podmore explains that the excavations are not as deep as people were expecting as there are now no voids found during EITHER surveys OR the current works (my caps).

It's all to do with deteriorating concrete slabs beneath the existing road surface apparently.

So all the previous project justification about voids and the foundations being washed away is/was clearly bollocks then?

So £25 million that didn't need to be spent.

We were all told that a double decker bus could suddenly fall into a hole unless we spent x gazillion pound to rebuild everything with gold and silver embellishments.  

Heads should roll 

Edited by NoTail

It had to be done, should have been sorted years ago.    Anyone who did not envisage mess and inconvenience is delusional.    Keeping traffic flowing the same time as the work being done is very challenging.   Moaning about it will not speed the process up.   The amazing thing to me is we seem to have about 60,000 civil engineers living on the Island who could have done a better job in half the time for £25 quid.    Just enjoy the sunshine and suck it up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

It had to be done, should have been sorted years ago.    Anyone who did not envisage mess and inconvenience is delusional.    Keeping traffic flowing the same time as the work being done is very challenging.   Moaning about it will not speed the process up.   The amazing thing to me is we seem to have about 60,000 civil engineers living on the Island who could have done a better job in half the time for £25 quid.    Just enjoy the sunshine and suck it up.

You are Ray Harmer. I claim my £5. 

Try not to crack too much under pressure, not like your new concrete! 

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

You are right Sid, who thought that there would be no disruption? I do feel that they should have attacked the thing full on and minimised the time that we were living with the job though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, snowman said:

should have closed it entirely from the sefton to sea terminal. surely would have been done quicker rather than the piece meal snails pace

That’s true; you’re right. But can you imagine the screams of anguish and outrage when that was announced? If there’s one thing we Manx excel at it’s making a mountain out of a molehill through the power of whinge.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, snowman said:

should have closed it entirely from the sefton to sea terminal. surely would have been done quicker rather than the piece meal snails pace

That would have really pissed off all the hoteliers, shopkeepers, and residents. And it's a main route across town.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kevster said:

That would have really pissed off all the hoteliers, shopkeepers, and residents. And it's a main route across town.

And that’s the whole idea of the phases, doing the Centre first, then one side followed by the other. 

Keeps traffic moving and allows access to properties and businesses.

Blocking off complete sections, Sea Terminal to Greensills, Greensills to Broadway, Broadway to Palace, Palace to Summerhill, Summerhill to Strathallan, would have a much more disastrous effect on travel and business.

Quite right John, no wonder we are called Moana's Isle no longer 60,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock we are, 60,000      wannabe civil engineers opinionuating about something they know nothing about.   But there again are not always the fiercest critics the uninformed key board warriors who have difficulty in putting their shoes on the right feet.