Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

5 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

2 workers spotted, neither doing anything.

Couldn't be, we were promised 60 men on it at any one time.

By Ray Harmer. An MHK, no less. They don't tell fibs do they?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Couldn't be, we were promised 60 men on it at any one time.

By Ray Harmer. An MHK, no less. They don't tell fibs do they?

Has there ever been 60 men on it from the start . Bet he didnt think that statement would be remembered but it is a year late already and counting .

6 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

We have fallen behind on a few projects at work lately due to others involved being late with their bit or delayed supply of materials.

So today me and some of the others have been out and about trying to catch up and minimise the inconvenience to customers.

Imagine my surprise to drive along the horribly delayed and under much scrutiny prom scheme on a nice, dry sunny day with no storms or rain to slow things down when they could be making back some of the delays without inconvenience to commuters to find stuff all going on.

2 workers spotted, neither doing anything.

Come on.  At least make an effort to be seen to be doing something to sort it out.

Half our company gave up their Sunday to try and get back on track today from delays that weren’t even our fault.  Not getting paid either.  Just out of loyalty to the company and the clients.

Its what you do when things are behind.

I don’t know what industry you work in or the size of your workforce but I have worked in the private sector for many an organization and can’t imagine a scenario where half the workforce would give up their Sunday for no pay ( maybe a small percentage would) Maybe you have a workforce of two. It’s laa laa land.

I know plenty in the public sector who work hard, take a pride in what they do and are getting very annoyed about the way they are portrayed.

Public or private sector, each have people who are conscientious and those who take the piss

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t know what industry you work in or the size of your workforce but I have worked in the private sector for many an organization and can’t imagine a scenario where half the workforce would give up their Sunday for no pay ( maybe a small percentage would) Maybe you have a workforce of two. It’s laa laa land.

I know plenty in the public sector who work hard, take a pride in what they do and are getting very annoyed about the way they are portrayed.

Public or private sector, each have people who are conscientious and those who take the piss

You are half right , you are also a wit and half right there as well. 

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

There are 24.  Today 14 turned out for no extra pay.

The rest were already well up on extra hours and most were at a christening.

You must have worked for some awful bosses.  I cant remember ever refusing to muck in and help out unless it was a totally immoveable event like a wedding or my own kids birthday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

There are 24.  Today 14 turned out for no extra pay.

The rest were already well up on extra hours and most were at a christening.

You must have worked for some awful bosses.  I cant remember ever refusing to muck in and help out unless it was a totally immoveable event like a wedding or my own kids birthday.

He’s a government worker so doesn’t do extra hours or if he does he claims for it like all public sector 

30 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No time off in lieu?

No quid pro quo whatsoever?

Give and take from both sides.  It is what happens when people value their staff, their staff feel valued and when a company looks after it’s clients.

I a call went out at 4 one after that something was kicking off and it would be helpful if people stayed late, most would.

If Dave got a call that he had to go and help his Mrs with something he would go.  In neither case would people be counting hours.

It is how we work and it works for us.

In the case of the prom the guys would have been clocking and and being paid and there still wasn’t anyone their on a quiet sunny day when they could have achieved quite a bit despite them being horribly behind schedule and under pressure to get it sorted.

Speaks volumes 

The problem with DoI lies at the top. Generally speaking, employees are as idle as they are either motivated or allowed to be and organisations big and small set their performance culture through leadership and example. DoI was created in error by people who had no idea or concern for the complexities of its operation. A CEO was appointed who had no record of leadership, no experience of the operational elements of the department and no experience of managing large capital projects. A succession of weak and ineffective political "heads" have been put in post, because that is what out political system attracts and nurtures and then the public moan about ground workers leaning on brushes and not being in the right place at the right time to complete the work on schedule. What else could be expected? 

Until the culture in politics and government changes, performance, particularly in large projects will be compromised. All we are seeing is the results, on the ground, of failures in the system. We need, as a start to employ and elect competent people in top positions and eject the bullshitters, egotists, low-achievers and inexperienced at the first opportunity. In a system that is geared towards self-protection and resistance, doing this is not going to be easy. The Howard Quayles of this world will never achieve it.

• Like 4