Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

5 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I can't help but think that the red arrows were booked already for the grand prom reopening. Manx radio stepping in to claim it was their idea  is a win win really.

and the Grand Prix that was definitely on, up until it was pointed out that it wasn't.

8 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Manx radio stepping in to claim it was their idea

Wonder how much they are paying towards the cost compared to what IFGL and the Domestic Events Fund are paying?

A couple of years ago, an arrows display was around £14,000 (including insurance)

13 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I can't help but think that the red arrows were booked already for the grand prom reopening. Manx radio stepping in to claim it was their idea  is a win win really.

I agree with you as all things considered the Prom was supposed to have been finished nearly a year ago. Dont thing the Red Arrows , for many reasons , are sitting around waiting for bookings for their displays. Would think they're  booked up years in advance. Remember the other year when apparently they forgot to book them for the TT and they couldnt do there annual display here . 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

I agree with you as all things considered the Prom was supposed to have been finished nearly a year ago. Dont thing the Red Arrows , for many reasons , are sitting around waiting for bookings for there displays. Would think there booked up years in advance. Remember the other year when apparently they forgot to book them for the TT and they couldnt do there annual display here . 

I seem to remember that wasn't a forgotten booking, but that the team were spending most of that season in other parts of the world and did very few shows around the British Isles

7 minutes ago, kevster said:

I seem to remember that wasn't a forgotten booking, but that the team were spending most of that season in other parts of the world and did very few shows around the British Isles

Not the story I'd heard tbh . Just checked and apart from one date they were in UK the whole of June. 

Below are the 2017 display dates & venues for the Red Arrows:

June
 03 Torbay Air Show, Paignton, Devon  
 04 Torbay Air Show, Paignton, Devon  
 09 Finland 100 Years Celebration, Helsinki, Finland  
 11 RAF Cosford Air Show, RAF Cosford, Shropshire  
 17 Weston Air Festival, Weston-super-Mare, Somerset  
 18 Weston Air Festival, Weston-super-Mare, Somerset  
 24 Armed Forces Day at Scarborough South Bay, Scarborough, North Yorks  
 29 Goodwood Festival of Speed, Goodwood, West Sussex  
 30 Goodwood Festival of Speed, Goodwood, West Sussex

8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Not the story I'd heard tbh . Just checked and apart from one date they were in UK the whole of June. 

Below are the 2017 display dates & venues for the Red Arrows:

June
 03 Torbay Air Show, Paignton, Devon  
 04 Torbay Air Show, Paignton, Devon  
 09 Finland 100 Years Celebration, Helsinki, Finland  
 11 RAF Cosford Air Show, RAF Cosford, Shropshire  
 17 Weston Air Festival, Weston-super-Mare, Somerset  
 18 Weston Air Festival, Weston-super-Mare, Somerset  
 24 Armed Forces Day at Scarborough South Bay, Scarborough, North Yorks  
 29 Goodwood Festival of Speed, Goodwood, West Sussex  
 30 Goodwood Festival of Speed, Goodwood, West Sussex

However due to other commitments overseas the squad will not be appearing.

9 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Damage limitation , there not going to say we fucked up etc. I'm happy with my source as to why they wernt here. We agree to differ . Wouldnt be the first or last time IOMG lied .

As your schedule shows - June 9th, that would have been Senior Race Day, they would have been in Finland. Is that the day they normally come? Can't remember now......

5 minutes ago, kevster said:

As your schedule shows - June 9th, that would have been Senior Race Day, they would have been in Finland. Is that the day they normally come? Can't remember now......

From memory there hasnt been a definitive day and indeed been displays  more than once in some years back in the day. But that was more when they landed and took off from Ronaldsway . Sure I remember them coming on a Thursday evening while the sand racing was on . Anyway no matter . 

16 minutes ago, kevster said:

Isn't it normally the Tuesday of TT week? When I was a kld they used to do a display in both Ramsey and Douglas, but that was a long time ago now.

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Having just come though Kirk Michael I can confirm they have installed another accident waiting to happen.

The crossing is barely visible and anyone who steps onto it before traffic is stopped in both directions has a death wish.

Why not put a pelican crossing in?

I've passed through there regularly in the past couple of weeks, they've installed lamp standards at both sides of the road and run power under the road between them. Yesterday they cut out rectangular panels in the road, presumably for infilling with the much-vaunted red tarmac?

Obviously they're looking to make the usual incredible Govt. savings by making the lollipop man, who's manned the school crossing since forever, redundant. I'll give it a fortnight before he (or she) is back on duty.

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I've passed through there regularly in the past couple of weeks, they've installed lamp standards at both sides of the road and run power under the road between them. Yesterday they cut out rectangular panels in the road, presumably for infilling with the much-vaunted red tarmac?

Obviously they're looking to make the usual incredible Govt. savings by making the lollipop man, who's manned the school crossing since forever, redundant. I'll give it a fortnight before he (or she) is back on duty.

Yeah the tarmac is down now.  Unless it changes colour when dry (and people are already driving over it, so I guess not) it is “off black” rather than red and pretty much invisible - especially when you consider I went through on a bright, dry, sunny day.

Like you say they have dug it up and run power etc anyway so why not put a proper crossing in?

It will be useless on a wet December evening.

• Like 1