Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

20 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

From memory there hasnt been a definitive day and indeed been displays  more than once in some years back in the day. But that was more when they landed and took off from Ronaldsway . Sure I remember them coming on a Thursday evening while the sand racing was on . Anyway no matter . 

They used to perform over Ramsey on Tuesday afternoons of TT week to coincide with the Ramsey Sprint. Then Douglas was on the Thursday I think. A few years ago the Ramsey Tuesday display didn't happen, allegedly on the grounds that they were double-booked, but it has never returned since either.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Driver2020 said:

Just drove through Kirk Michael who ever designed that crossing should be sacked. 

It’s not just one person though.  There must have been all member of meetings and processes and anyone with a brain can see it is dangerous.

I honestly didn’t think they could surprise me any more but this one is unbelievable, especially given what happened in St John’s

I've just been through there this evening, I can't see that it's the finished job (well, one would hope not, anyway)? 

I think that there will be some sort of red, abrasive coating to be applied to the tarmac "panels" that have now been infilled with tarmac that almost exactly matches the existing road surface...although that would beg the question why not a white abrasive coating?

Maybe red is more abrasive than white....

On 8/24/2021 at 3:37 PM, Numbnuts said:

Damage limitation , there not going to say we fucked up etc. I'm happy with my source as to why they wernt here. We agree to differ . Wouldnt be the first or last time IOMG lied .

I did hear that the department didn't have the money for the red arrows due to an increase in costs from Douglas council

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

They used to perform over Ramsey on Tuesday afternoons of TT week to coincide with the Ramsey Sprint. Then Douglas was on the Thursday I think. A few years ago the Ramsey Tuesday display didn't happen, allegedly on the grounds that they were double-booked, but it has never returned since either.

They had several island shows during TT time, if wet in Peel they were in the Corrin Memorial Hall! (According to Geoff Cannell)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, quilp said:

Watched this t'other day. Someone had a dream...

5 minutes. 

Didn't Mr Pearson depart his post after a very short tenure? I seem to recall that he was instrumental in removing the plastic lane dividers that used to be a feature of the QB roundabouts (their removal was said to have considerably cleaned up traffic flow?) and also the binning of a lot of what he considered to be superfluous road signage between Douglas and Ballacraine. Maybe all that trod on a few toes..?

19 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I've passed through there regularly in the past couple of weeks, they've installed lamp standards at both sides of the road and run power under the road between them. Yesterday they cut out rectangular panels in the road, presumably for infilling with the much-vaunted red tarmac?

Obviously they're looking to make the usual incredible Govt. savings by making the lollipop man, who's manned the school crossing since forever, redundant. I'll give it a fortnight before he (or she) is back on duty.

i gotta say, i had the pleasure of driving to a job in kirkmichael this morning and if i'd have blinked i'd have missed there was even a crossing there, it is absolutely fucking ridiculous , the first kiddy that gets wiped out on the way to/from school will be the true sad cost of this folly. it needs fucking off before that happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1