Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

5 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

The whole point is you don’t “do” anything.

Nobody has priority or right of way.  Everyone is meant to just slow to a crawl and be polite and kind and fluffy and stuff.

That is the theory as I understand it anyway.  In reality people going straight along the prom we’re just barrelling through as if there was no intersection and with a quick glance to their right

I went straight through the middle of it today, nothing suggesting I can’t do that, perhaps if the centre was painted solid white I’d think twice because then it’s like a mini roundabout. Certainly is a free for all at the moment, people just doing whatever they want, mostly because they can.

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I went straight through the middle of it today, nothing suggesting I can’t do that, perhaps if the centre was painted solid white I’d think twice because then it’s like a mini roundabout. Certainly is a free for all at the moment, people just doing whatever they want, mostly because they can.

I hear a certain former MHK almost came a cropper this afternoon there. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I agree and with no defined areas or protocol I cant see that they can do anything unless they completly redefine what exacly it is. There is no give way markings as you approach , no restricitve area , in middle etc , so the lines have no function so the whole thing is a complete clusterfuck.    

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I agree and with no defined areas or protocol I cant see that they can do anything unless they completly redefine what exacly it is. There is no give way markings as you approach , no restricitve area , in middle etc , so the lines have no function so the whole thing is a complete clusterfuck.    

Doi saying the roundel identifies as roundabout is all well and good, but it doesn’t have a single marking of a roundabout whatsoever

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

What do they need to define?

There are no markings or signs so it is an unmarked junction as defined in the Highway Code.  There are deliberate pinch points to slow you down on the prom, and it’s a shared space where you should slow down and drive defensively.

The crossings are insane but the junction is simple.  They have confused people by putting those stupid markings down, but they will be worn away in a few days anyway.

https://1driver.teachable.com/courses/107061/lectures/1562578

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

What do they need to define?

There are no markings or signs so it is an unmarked junction as defined in the Highway Code.  There are deliberate pinch points to slow you down on the prom, and it’s a shared space where you should slow down and drive defensively.

The crossings are insane but the junction is simple.  They have confused people by putting those stupid markings down, but they will be worn away in a few days anyway.

https://1driver.teachable.com/courses/107061/lectures/1562578

Not saying they need to define anything but I am saying DOI are indicating its a roundabout for all intense and purpose when clearly its not . At a roundabout you give way to the right but in this case you clearly dont . There's  going to be some angry drivers beeping there horns stacked up behind the little old lady or man  who has stopped at the entrance to the 'shared space' for sure when traffic increases . Your link above is all well and good but who on here has ever seen that protocol before . Not me for sure . 

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Not saying they need to define anything but I am saying DOI are indicating its a roundabout for all intense and purpose when clearly its not . At a roundabout you give way to the right but in this case you clearly dont . There's  going to be some angry drivers beeping there horns stacked up behind the little old lady or man  who has stopped at the entrance to the 'shared space' for sure when traffic increases . Your link above is all well and good but who on here has ever seen that protocol before . Not me for sure . 

There are loads of junctions like that in the UK and all over Europe.

Granted they don’t normally have weird crossings at each entrance and exit, but it isn’t a radical idea.

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

The whole issue here isnt whether it's a roundabout, an unmarked junction, the zebra crossing is too close to the junction to legally be safe, the marking (or lack of).... 

The issue is why the crayonistas at the DOI have installed this absolute cluster fuck on one of the busiest intersections on the island. 

It just needs to be a standard junction  job fucking done. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

There's  going to be some angry drivers beeping there horns stacked up behind the little old lady or man who has stopped at the entrance to the 'shared space' for sure when traffic increases . 

Ahh . . . an appropriate point to post this little gem to the thread:

https://manxman.com/fringe/tracks/SulbyFringe_RolyDrower_TheStandoff.mp3

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Really? Like where?

Here, for one example.  Anyone who had passed a driving test in the last 20 years should know that, which highlights why people need to be retested every five years.

Edited by Ramseyboi

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Doi saying the roundel identifies as roundabout is all well and good, but it doesn’t have a single marking of a roundabout whatsoever

Identity politics strikes again!

Junction-reassignment anyone? Transjunction?

It's ok folks, I won't let the door hit me where the good lord....

• Haha 3