Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

35 minutes ago, Banker said:

It won’t be open on schedule which is Monday according to signs, publications etc. deserted at 1pm when I drove through.

image.gif.e5663ce5cc10cbeee1ecf093e18771b8.gifThats a bit scary for school kids and their parents.

How on earth are they to get there in the mornings and pick up at night?

It is one of the busiest schools I have seen for kids being walked to school/ home.

Sad as I am, I had to have a look how this road engineering marvel functions at night. Three observations so far:

1: it needs double yellows up Broadway and fast. Parking this close to a pedestrian crossing is not only wrong but dangerous. Can’t see people emerging behind the van when coming downhill. 

4C6283AF-696A-4B02-A94A-4BD153884C35.jpeg

People walking from town centre towards palace often don’t use pedestrian crossing but walk across roundel as it’s shorter. Classic design flaw or expected behaviour? 

A87A046C-127D-401C-87F9-D01C307B43F5.jpeg

4E881FDA-0058-42EE-948D-92CF0D79B947.webp

This crossing seems a bit dark. Might be ok once permanent lights are installed but for now an additional temporary one would improve pedestrian safety. It’s darker than the iPhone cam makes it look.

53B33CD5-2C03-4355-9163-1C2432182A77.jpeg

Someone on Twitter also already replied that various bits on it might not be legal / in line with rules. I guess would need to be checked maybe? 

FEC85801-BBE2-4306-B781-29D4295F0ACE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Sad as I am, I had to have a look how this road engineering marvel functions at night. Three observations so far:

1: it needs double yellows up Broadway and fast. Parking this close to a pedestrian crossing is not only wrong but dangerous. Can’t see people emerging behind the van when coming downhill. 

4C6283AF-696A-4B02-A94A-4BD153884C35.jpeg

People walking from town centre towards palace often don’t use pedestrian crossing but walk across roundel as it’s shorter. Classic design flaw or expected behaviour? 

4E881FDA-0058-42EE-948D-92CF0D79B947.webp

This crossing seems a bit dark. Might be ok once permanent lights are installed but for now an additional temporary one would improve pedestrian safety. It’s darker than the iPhone cam makes it look.

53B33CD5-2C03-4355-9163-1C2432182A77.jpeg

Someone on Twitter also already replied that various bits on it might not be legal / in line with rules. I guess would need to be checked maybe? 

FEC85801-BBE2-4306-B781-29D4295F0ACE.jpeg

Don't worry we're so politically agile we'll change the law's to suit!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I thought that is how it is supposed to be used as it is shared space.

certainly none of the pedestrian crossings appear to have the legal correct road markings for a real road

Edited by ellanvannin2010

40 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I thought that is how it is supposed to be used as it is shared space.

certainly none of the pedestrian crossings appear to have the legal correct road markings for a real road

If it was shared space then you wouldn't need a zebra crossing and a traffic light crossing.

• Like 2

The DOI design Dept is clearly giving priority to unqualified under-graduate engineers with little or no practical experience in their chosen subject. 

Which was highlighted in the Beaman's Report which stated that the Dept "had engineers that may or may not be qualified", elicited by an FOI request by Trevor Cowin.

In short, crayonistas in makeweight IoM Govt jobs. Add your own reasons why, I have mine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The DOI design Dept is clearly giving priority to unqualified under-graduate engineers with little or no practical experience in their chosen subject. 

Which was highlighted in the Beaman's Report which stated that the Dept "had engineers that may or may not be qualified", elicited by an FOI request by Trevor Cowin.

In short, crayonistas in makeweight IoM Govt jobs. Add your own reasons why, I have mine.

I thought the designer was Borough Stewart, not the DOI

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I thought the designer was Borough Stewart, not the DOI

Does not matter. Idiotic design is idiotic design in either case. And the DoI (the Despicable Department of Imbeciles) has had to sign off on any design. 

Edited by Cassie2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

Does not matter. Idiotic design is idiotic design in either case. And the DoI (the Despicable Department of Imbeciles) has had to sign off on any design. 

.The DOI design Dept is clearly giving priority to unqualified under-graduate engineers with little or no practical experience in their chosen subject.

Under graduate engineers signing off designs? Do you have proof of this unlikely scenario then. 

Does the DOI have a design department? Never heard of it.

Edited by Happier diner

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

.The DOI design Dept is clearly giving priority to unqualified under-graduate engineers with little or no practical experience in their chosen subject.

Under graduate engineers signing off designs? Do you have proof of this unlikely scenario then. 

Does the DOI have a design department? Never heard of it.

Looks like they do.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/infrastructure/highway-services/projects-design-and-build/

Worryingly they insist that that the new prom walkway will be to same standard as the new adjacent road!