Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, MadAsHell said:

Looks like they do.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/infrastructure/highway-services/projects-design-and-build/

Worryingly they insist that that the new prom walkway will be to same standard as the new adjacent road!

Put in perspective though

The Team is responsible for:

• 12 speed signs
  • 14 variable message signs
  • 47 pedestrian crossing installations
  • Over 60 traffic signals
  • 70 school signs
  • Over 250 bollards

13 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Sad as I am, I had to have a look how this road engineering marvel functions at night. Three observations so far:

1: it needs double yellows up Broadway and fast. Parking this close to a pedestrian crossing is not only wrong but dangerous. Can’t see people emerging behind the van when coming downhill. 

4C6283AF-696A-4B02-A94A-4BD153884C35.jpeg

People walking from town centre towards palace often don’t use pedestrian crossing but walk across roundel as it’s shorter. Classic design flaw or expected behaviour? 

A87A046C-127D-401C-87F9-D01C307B43F5.jpeg

4E881FDA-0058-42EE-948D-92CF0D79B947.webp

This crossing seems a bit dark. Might be ok once permanent lights are installed but for now an additional temporary one would improve pedestrian safety. It’s darker than the iPhone cam makes it look.

53B33CD5-2C03-4355-9163-1C2432182A77.jpeg

Someone on Twitter also already replied that various bits on it might not be legal / in line with rules. I guess would need to be checked maybe? 

FEC85801-BBE2-4306-B781-29D4295F0ACE.jpeg

UK guide to crossings is in this link

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/330214/ltn-2-95_pedestrian-crossings.pdf

Manx guide is here which uses the UK guide is here

https://www.gov.im/media/1368674/pedestrian-crossings-guidance-document.pdf

part of uk guide relevant to roundabouts is here. Recommends not mixing types of crossing on same junction, Broadway has different type on each exit

59973DD2-7324-43F6-A2D3-3D689E4EAF60.jpeg

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Put in perspective though

The Team is responsible for:

• 12 speed signs
  • 14 variable message signs
  • 47 pedestrian crossing installations
  • Over 60 traffic signals
  • 70 school signs
  • Over 250 bollards

But you're forgetting their extensive list of "Completed Projects", which includes "Douglas Town Centre Regeneration", so it's nice that that's been done. 

Actually the Beamans Report was very revealing about the Project Management Unit.  At the moment it has six people in it - one or two project managers and four or five people to manage them.  They recommended increasing the number of PMs to nine from one/two, but knowing the civil service that increase will probably be reallocated to more people at the top of the hierarchy.

Of course the lack of people actually managing the projects explains why so much of the work gets outsourced (to BSA) or simply not done.

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But you're forgetting their extensive list of "Completed Projects", which includes "Douglas Town Centre Regeneration", so it's nice that that's been done. 

Actually the Beamans Report was very revealing about the Project Management Unit.  At the moment it has six people in it - one or two project managers and four or five people to manage them.  They recommended increasing the number of PMs to nine from one/two, but knowing the civil service that increase will probably be reallocated to more people at the top of the hierarchy.

Of course the lack of people actually managing the projects explains why so much of the work gets outsourced (to BSA) or simply not done.

You've gone off piste. All I said was the DOI outsourced the design of the prom to a consultant. They do not have in house expertise for a project of this size.

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You've gone off piste. All I said was the DOI outsourced the design of the prom to a consultant. They do not have in house expertise for a project of this size.

That’s shameful.

It is a road that needed resurfacing after years of neglect and some new services/service ducts installed.

Why did they try and make it so fancy? The whole road and walkway with the colonnade and sunken gardens being cleaned up could have been done in a quarter of the time and for half the money (I am being generous.  It shouldn’t have taken that long or cost that much)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

DOI hiding behind the excuse of the design being from a consultant is shameful. 

If they had shit on a plate and told them it was a meal, they would have questioned it. 

Why didn't they speak up over this? Although don't forget the spec was also basically design by committee. You had the motorists, horse tram anoraks, Manx Blind Welfare, Cyclists, Electric Car users, the Walkway campaign... it's ended up being nothing to everyone 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

DOI hiding behind the excuse of the design being from a consultant is shameful. 

If they had shit on a plate and told them it was a meal, they would have questioned it. 

Why didn't they speak up over this? Although don't forget the spec was also basically design by committee. You had the motorists, horse tram anoraks, Manx Blind Welfare, Cyclists, Electric Car users, the Walkway campaign... it's ended up being nothing to everyone 

I wasn't making excuses for them. Merely correcting a previous post. 

As I understand it, the employer has an idea. It's changed into a concept by an architect or similar then designed by an engineering consultant. Not making excuses for anyone. The post started by someone saying it had been designed by DOI undergraduates, which is of course nonsense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I wasn't making excuses for them. Merely correcting a previous post. 

As I understand it, the employer has an idea. It's changed into a concept by an architect or similar then designed by an engineering consultant. Not making excuses for anyone. The post started by someone saying it had been designed by DOI undergraduates, which is of course nonsense. 

large_020517_treeswing.thumb.jpg.691e31c5ee75f9760709977153e24acc.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1