Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

8 minutes ago, Cambon said:

They will end up being roundabouts. They put them there to save money rather than build roundabouts. The people will revolt. Crashes will happen. Roundabouts will be built using next year's budget when available. 

I agree with most of that but I can't see how it would save money.  You could create a roundabout with less white paint than they have used - a new roundabout doesn't have to be some elaborate construction, much though the DoI loves to.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I agree with most of that but I can't see how it would save money.  You could create a roundabout with less white paint than they have used - a new roundabout doesn't have to be some elaborate construction, much though the DoI loves to.  

I know, but the DOI need to make an excuse to build two gargantuan roundabouts without extending the prom budget. Same for the rest of the horse tram lines. They will be done and paid for out of another budget. 

The main problem seems to be that the DOI caused the confusion, and it seems possible they didn't know what it was themselves., or what they wanted, or why they wanted it. 

Only a few weeks ago in the press they obviously thought they had installed roundabouts. Now they are being told they haven't. 🤔

"However the DoI has moved to ‘reassure’ residents that the two roundels being installed, at Broadway and Church Road Marina, are to be used ‘in the same way as any other roundabout’

Ah you've got love them🤪

• Like 1

It's the arrogance that gets me, why can't they just admit they haven't a clue and that they have made a massive cock up of the whole thing. Even the police are saying that the finished prom will be an asset and a wonderful first view of Douglas.

What is it with folk, do they actually believe their misguided view of the island's needs? Jeez thrice over.!!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, emesde said:

The main problem seems to be that the DOI caused the confusion, and it seems possible they didn't know what it was themselves., or what they wanted, or why they wanted it. 

Only a few weeks ago in the press they obviously thought they had installed roundabouts. Now they are being told they haven't. 🤔

"However the DoI has moved to ‘reassure’ residents that the two roundels being installed, at Broadway and Church Road Marina, are to be used ‘in the same way as any other roundabout’

Ah you've got love them🤪

Maybe they'll define a new concept next week. The Roundelbout - treated like a roundabout Monday, Wednesday and Friday and shared space Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Sunday is a pay per view destruction derby

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Confirmed by police this morning they are not to be treated as roundabouts.

Anybody with a brain knew that, but it appears lots didn’t, probably because the DOI were telling people to treat them as roundabouts 

That Police media statement is the most astounding and cringeworthy piece of crap I've ever seen them issue, and that's up against some pretty stiff opposition. What's with the "attractive gateway" bit, are they doing the Tourism department's job now, as well as that of their "partners" at the DOI?

We have received a number of queries from motorists about the new roundels on Douglas Promenade and as a result liaised with our partners at the Isle of Man Department of Infrastructure. We would like to clarify that the roundels are not roundabouts. The two roundels should be treated as unmarked junctions as defined in the Highway Code. Drivers should approach them slowly, smoothly and giving way to other road users.

The promenade has been designed to be a shared space and many of the features are designed to reduce speed and encourage motorist to drive safely sharing the space.

Whilst the promenade is not finished yet, it is starting to take shape and is a vast improvement. When it is completed, it will certainly be an attractive gateway for visitors to our Island.