Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

7 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Its an unmarked junction.   The only issue was that some people thought they were roundabouts (despite them clearly not being, as there were no markings). They have now cleared up that they are unmarked junctions which are perfectly legal, explained in highway code and used all over the place. 

Total non issue having now been clarified.

Have I missed the official government press release rescinding the official June press release that states it is to be driven in same way as any other roundabout?.

A post on the book of face is not the same.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Have I missed the official government press release rescinding the official June press release that states it is to be driven in same way as any other roundabout?.

A post on the book of face is not the same.

In the absence of any official road markings or even indication that they are a roundabout, give way or stop, then it is very clearly an unmarked junction.  There are no markings to suggest anything else.

People have been saying this on this very thread since June.

They are unmarked junctions and anyone with a driving license should know there are no rules and you just slow down and go with the flow.

The only issue here is the use of the term "roundel" and the precious advice to use them as roundabout which was clearly nonsense as there are no road-markings to make them roundabouts.

We should take all roundabouts out and drive like this everywhere to be honest.  People don't even understand how to drive a roundabout as shown again today when some balloon beeped at me for being on the roundabout at braddan ahead of him jut because he was coming from my right.

Every dictionary description refers to the shape of a roundel as "circular" . Same as a roundabout .... Perhaps that's why people are believing they are indeed such a thing. ( Well apart from DoI press releases saying so)

Edited by lcd

29 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Its an unmarked junction.   The only issue was that some people thought they were roundabouts (despite them clearly not being, as there were no markings). They have now cleared up that they are unmarked junctions which are perfectly legal, explained in highway code and used all over the place. 

Total non issue having now been clarified.

But it's a very marked unmarked junction isn't it?  Not just the concentric ellipses, but all the other features, crossings etc.  Are they to be ignored as well?  If they aren't then it's not an unmarked junction.   The police's answer really doesn't make any sense.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it's a very marked unmarked junction isn't it?  Not just the concentric ellipses, but all the other features, crossings etc.  Are they to be ignored as well?  If they aren't then it's not an unmarked junction.   The police's answer really doesn't make any sense.

Show me one actual road marking as shown in the highway code.

It's an unmarked junction with some decorative effects to make it look shit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:
49 minutes ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

For an 'unmarked junction' it seems to have a shitload of paint on the road.

But crucially, no road markings.  It's not complicated

I'd love to see people arguing in Court that markings on the road aren't road markings.  Deemsters tend to dislike having to make rulings that make them look ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

In the absence of any official road markings or even indication that they are a roundabout, give way or stop, then it is very clearly an unmarked junction.  There are no markings to suggest anything else.

People have been saying this on this very thread since June.

They are unmarked junctions and anyone with a driving license should know there are no rules and you just slow down and go with the flow.

The only issue here is the use of the term "roundel" and the precious advice to use them as roundabout which was clearly nonsense as there are no road-markings to make them roundabouts.

We should take all roundabouts out and drive like this everywhere to be honest.  People don't even understand how to drive a roundabout as shown again today when some balloon beeped at me for being on the roundabout at braddan ahead of him jut because he was coming from my right.

Ok, so the signaled pedestrian crossing on Broadway,

That is not marked correctly so how should that be treated?

The zebra style crossing on Central Prom exit, how should that be treated?

The grey crossing on Harris Prom exit, does that confer any more rights to anyone than the zebra style one?.

It is all very unclear and that is dangerous.

7 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

I've driven the prom in both directions a few times now since they opened the Villa bit. It seems alright to me. I even gave way to some pedestrians who were visibly appreciative of my good manners. The prom's actually looking quite good, nearly finished now. 

I live on the prom and walk along the full length every day and drive along it occasionally. Please join me tomorrow and perhaps I can point out the dozens of areas coned off, unfinished pavements of many colours, the cracked concrete, the rail tracks dug up and the general appearance of dereliction.... All after nearly 3 years of construction. 

It's an embarrassement and and nowhere near complete. 

I thought the prom included the walkway but that hasn't even been touched. Crazy surface and rotting rails on the sea front. 

So far we have managed to take over two years to change the road layout and update infrastructure along about 1 and a half miles. 

Yet it still looks like a run down seaside town front. 

Great Success........ . NOT

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Ok, so the signaled pedestrian crossing on Broadway,

That is not marked correctly so how should that be treated?

The zebra style crossing on Central Prom exit, how should that be treated?

The grey crossing on Harris Prom exit, does that confer any more rights to anyone than the zebra style one?.

It is all very unclear and that is dangerous.

It’s pretty simple.  Treat it like a set of traffic lights that are broken.

Slow down and be courteous to others.

Everyone always said that junction flowed better when the lifts were out.  That is what we have now.

• Like 1