Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Listening to the Tynwald debates at the time the cost was being justified, I feel sure that we were told the works required would need to be much more extensive than we are seeing. We were assured that the whole thing was virtually in a state of collapse and it needed starting again from scratch. Although on here https://www.myprom.im/plans/scheme-details#cont it does say a metre and a half of digging. Is that what we have? Appearances may be deceptive.

1.5 meters is chest height on the average male. Unless the workers are giants they aren't going down that far. 

Listening to the Tynwald debates at the time the cost was being justified, I feel sure that we were told the works required would need to be much more extensive than we are seeing. We were assured that the whole thing was virtually in a state of collapse and it needed starting again from scratch. Although on here https://www.myprom.im/plans/scheme-details#cont it does say a metre and a half of digging. Is that what we have? Appearances may be deceptive.

Let’s wait and see what they do once work starts on the seaward side of Loch Prom

• Like 1

it's not getting a proper job,  it's getting a band aid that was dropped in dog shit before being applied.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, kevster said:

Let’s wait and see what they do once work starts on the seaward side of Loch Prom

Much of that should be sound at the top (Sea Terminal) end down through the gardens anyway as it was reconstructed during the process of the IRIS holding tanks installation?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Max Power said:

I've seen massive high street projects lasting ages in the UK, people just get on with it, it has to be done. The fact is, nobody is preventing access to these businesses, people just have to walk a little further. What does everyone think should have been done to mitigate any disruption? We all knew what was happening and when, did the businesses not know what we knew? They are simply out for a bit of compo, they are probably manufacturing their claims now and fudging the accounts. Make enough noise and the government will fold.

That is one of the most unfeeling posts I have read on Manx Forums, from a usually level headed and informed poster.. You should be ashamed.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

That is one of the most unfeeling posts I have read on Manx Forums, from a usually level headed and informed poster.. You should be ashamed.

I was trying to provoke a reaction to be fair, to see what the mood is. The promenade needed a revamp and heavy maintenance at least and it's easy to jump on government at every opportunity without any idea of what they could have done differently.  I do think there is a level of exaggeration in these things. I remember the TT being cancelled due to the foot and mouth outbreak. The government paid out willy nilly to all sorts of tourism related businesses on some very large claims. Some had their best TT ever!  

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

I do think there is a level of exaggeration in these things.

Is that exaggeration as in the business losses incurred?

Or exaggeration as to how much the prom needed doing to it? :lol: 

You are not alone in this enigma I doubt any of the so called experts on this forum have a clue what they are on about regarding the promenade, keeping all the services working and traffic flowing must be a nightmare .    I also have no civil engineering qualifications before anyone asks.   If the promenade could have been closed, which of course is not on it would have been quicker and less of a challenge.

19 hours ago, Max Power said:

They are simply out for a bit of compo, they are probably manufacturing their claims now and fudging the accounts. Make enough noise and the government will fold.

I suspect there may be a large element of truth in this. When the hoteliers were on the radio last week, there was a lot of comment about terrible reviews of Tripadvisor etc. and the long term damage that such reviews could do, in 2020 and beyond. However, when I looked at recent reviews of six or seven hotels (Sefton, Palace, Chesterhouse, Claremont, Regency etc.) there were only two mentions of the work in around two dozen recent reviews (total). There were many more positive reviews and happy punters. There were far more negative comments about the generally run-down and tatty appearance of the Palace.

If Treasury do decide to put together some sort of financial package, it should be geared towards attracting tourists, improving occupancy rates, improving the hotel stock generally, to match the lovely new Promenade. This can be done through promotion and advertising support, loans and grants for focused improvements, and (possibly) some financial support geared to  getting 'heads on beds' off season. It shouldn't just be about spraying random cash in their direction, to compensate for alleged loss of revenue, which will be impossible to substantiate.

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

It is self evidently a badly planned and executed dogs breakfast. You don’t need to be qualified (in anything to be fair) or a civil engineer to see that. As a few on the radio have already said if this had have happened to farmers Mylchreests would have seen a significant Range Rover sales boom by now with all the compo cheques dished out.  

Yes, it’s running behind hand. But it’s far to early to say it’s either badly planned or executed.

i think the phasing seems the only logical way of doing it without gridlock caused by shutting entitle sections. Traffic has kept moving.

Mylchreests aren’t Landrover or Jaguar dealers any more.

48 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, it’s running behind hand. But it’s far to early to say it’s either badly planned or executed.

There should have been a clear and concise plan published at the very start.

I doubt there is a project in the whole world that has ever gone exactly to plan, and so a plan is updated periodically - daily, weekly, whatever. As the work progresses on site and is monitored then the plan is updated accordingly, and it becomes more accurate as the work progresses.

Maybe there was a plan, but I've not seen it. The plan is there for everybody's benefit, not just for the contractor.

Maybe it is rocket science after all.