Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it's a very marked unmarked junction isn't it?  Not just the concentric ellipses, but all the other features, crossings etc.  Are they to be ignored as well?  If they aren't then it's not an unmarked junction.   The police's answer really doesn't make any sense.

I really hope that no deaths occur as a result of a RTA on one of these dreadful roundels. In that scenario, the Coroner of Inquests would have to make sense of things. Some Coroners of the past would have severely criticised both politicians and the department involved. 

4 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

UK guidance is for plenty of distance between a crossing and an uncontrolled junction to allow motorists to process things. But hey, DOI knew best and pissed all over the best practise.

Screenshot_20210901-221727_Drive.jpg

This is a valid point.

The junction is a non issue.

The location of the crossings is madness

20 minutes ago, emesde said:

I live on the prom and walk along the full length every day and drive along it occasionally. Please join me tomorrow and perhaps I can point out the dozens of areas coned off, unfinished pavements of many colours, the cracked concrete, the rail tracks dug up and the general appearance of dereliction.... All after nearly 3 years of construction. 

Well, I did only say quite good. It's better than the last time I went down there which was ages ago. 

This going to work so well during next years TT fortnight don't you think? Bikers on your left and right.

I suspect that once people get used to it they'll realise it's really not worth the effort and just avoid it all together. Especially as the parking has been drastically reduced.

Shame they closed the Lord Street Car Park and Chester Street is such a miserable concrete dump.

I wonder which celebrity they'll get to do the grand official opening. I'm going with Prince Andrew.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

This is a valid point.

The junction is a non issue.

The location of the crossings is madness

The crossings are basically right on the junction. It's mental. 

Fine, it's an uncontrolled junction we can put that one to bed for now and revisit it when there's the inevitable RTC. 

But the proximity of the crossings need to be revisited urgently.

3 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Well, I did only say quite good. It's better than the last time I went down there which was ages ago. 

But you said you have driven it several times in both directions since the Broadway junction opened. That was only a few days ago. 

Now you say you haven't been along for AGES........ .  Says it all. 

I'm sure we will believe everything you say in future🤔

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I really hope that no deaths occur as a result of a RTA on one of these dreadful roundels. In that scenario, the Coroner of Inquests would have to make sense of things. Some Coroners of the past would have severely criticised both politicians and the department involved. 

But as I keep on pointing out, even if they did those remarks would never get reported.  The media no longer report inquests directly and rely on the Courts to publish them, which they don't in every instance - even controversial ones.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

This going to work so well during next years TT fortnight don't you think? Bikers on your left and right.

I suspect that once people get used to it they'll realise it's really not worth the effort and just avoid it all together. Especially as the parking has been drastically reduced.

Shame they closed the Lord Street Car Park and Chester Street is such a miserable concrete dump.

I wonder which celebrity they'll get to do the grand official opening. I'm going with Prince Andrew.  

No sweat.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, emesde said:

But you said you have driven it several times in both directions since the Broadway junction opened. That was only a few days ago. 

Now you say you haven't been along for AGES........ .  Says it all. 

I'm sure we will believe everything you say in future🤔

Well! I don't think I'll be joining you down the prom tomorrow, you seem a little abrasive to me. Rude even! There's nothing contradictory in what I wrote, believe me. 

7 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Well! I don't think I'll be joining you down the prom tomorrow, you seem a little abrasive to me. Rude even! There's nothing contradictory in what I wrote, believe me. 

Apologies if you found my remarks abrasive. Not really intended. 

It was a very frustrating time in this subject yesterday with so many government supporters rushing to defend this junction and explaining how bad the drivers are for not understanding how it works. 

It's not surprising is it? as the junction had been open a few days and the only instruction from DOI was to treat it like any other roundabout. 

Luckily the police got involved and corrected this following a period of confusion for many Motorists. 

The Manx Highway code as far as I can see does not mention this type of junction and so even those people who tried to work it out had little to help them. 

Despite our conflict I really think it would be useful for people to walk the length of the prom from Summer Hill into town just to see how much really still needs to be done. 😉