Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Heads up if you’re parking for free on the prom right now. Although the myprom account (that seems to have a tendency to block people and comes across a bit grumpy at times) said they are starting enforcement from today, I’ve just spoken to one of the traffic controllers and they are not writing tickets today. Just advisories telling anyone parked there about the changes. However, that means they will start writing tickets again soon and it’s basically back to two hours disc parking now. 

There’s also an issue with the new signs I think. Firstly some of them are still behind fences within what is a construction site, so personally I’d challenge any ticket given while that’s still the layout.

Secondly, the signs are further away from the parking bays than before and once the horse tram tracks are back, they will be behind them. So immediately you could challenge any ticket by saying there was a horse tram parked in front of the sign when you parked there? 

97C78B30-A429-4CA0-857E-D2CEBA07BD15.jpeg

40923099-CCD2-44A3-BD2E-E6F1476A7A15.jpeg

So hang on a second,  this red concrete strip is not for horse trams?

I suppose it's meant to be the overtaking lane when people have stopped to park, or wait for a parking space to be vacated? On both sides? Or does it mean no U-turns? Or is it the motor cycle lane or parking for TT fortnight? Or is it a footpath/cycle lane.

Or maybe there will be two tram lines on one the red and one behind the Heras fencing by the footpath?

image.thumb.png.774d216fd93111887a021991c5fa1ace.png

Just now, Amadeus said:

It thought it was meant to be a pedestrian island / safe area when crossing the road? 

So red strip safe here, but not safe further up with tram track. We just cross anywhere, no need to use the crossings? (Except further up where we do need to use the crossings)

ETA: Teapot beat me to it.

15 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

So red strip safe here, but not safe further up with tram track. We just cross anywhere, no need to use the crossings? (Except further up where we do need to use the crossings)

ETA: Teapot beat me to it.

Road design by Aleister Crowley: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. 

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

You bored?

Maybe people should just obey the very clear signs and stop trying to be smart arses?  The rules are exactly the same as they have been for year.  Everyone knows it’s a disc zone and no vans

It was free for weeks now. The signage is also different now - further away and soon behind the tracks of the horse tram, once they are added. If they get this wrong, then you'll end up with potentially hundreds of disputed tickets, pissed off locals and tourists, and issues we should avoid. Doesn't matter what it was before. It's not the old prom anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Amadeus said:

It thought it was meant to be a pedestrian island / safe area when crossing the road? 

Is it wide enough to be safe for say a wheelchair being pushed by a carer, or a pram being pushed by a parent? 

With a HGV or bus passing by either side on a typical miserable winters day? Maybe all HGV's etc should be diverted out via Peel Road at the Sea Terminal.   

I presume the DoI philosophy is to encourage shoppers out of the town centre altogether and move everything online or to out of town retailers?

On the plus side, it should leave room for emergency services to get through if traffic has ground to a halt due to an RTA. Probably won't do so well if there any roadworks* needed though, not a lot of space left then.

Why not just zone the prom as 10mph and be done with it? With the usual caveat that it won't apply two wheeled vehicles in any way of course.  Whether they wear lycra or leathers.

Does this mean the shared space will be one of the few places where it will be legal to use a motorised scooter?

Lets' hope Extinction Rebellion don't realise how easy it'll be to disrupt traffic by just wandering along the road. Presumably that would be legal if it is all now a shared space? 

Or maybe ER have infiltrated the DoI. That would explain a hell of a lot.

It'll be interesting to see how they plan to lay the future tram lines between a stone wall and a footpath. Hope at least it'll have the foundations ready?

*Of course, after this epic project is completed, it'll be many, many years days before they need to dig it up.

11 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Disgusting priorities for a primary school crossing.

Pelican crossing.  Simple

Why all the unnecessary fuss.  every crossing on the course is already a pelican or part of a full set f traffic lights.  There isn't a single zebra on the course.     They are currently installing a pelican outside Bradden school ffs presumably because they are the best option for safety.

They are already on Glencruthery Road, Light and St Ninian's, Ballagarey and Glen Daragh Road.  Kirk Michael ( a 2 minute walk from this shambles) Lights at parliament square, Ramsey Bus Station and I have probaby missed some.

PUT A PELICAN CROSSING IN YOU CLOWNS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now they should calculate the total cost of this little fuck up and remove a similar sum from the salaries and pension entitlements of those responsible.

It's called "accountability".

• Like 5
  • Haha 2