Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

41 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

They have just posted that Braddan school will still be one way when school opens next week.

Two brave posts for a friday afternoon.  The social media boy had better be on overtime for when the pubs open and people finish work.

FFS, it will be bloody chaos around there next week, I thought this might happen as there’s been very slow progress last few weeks, another project well over time & probably budget 

28 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Was Howard Quayle and Bill Shimmin's, both of whom are now well out of it.

Who it will be in a few weeks doesn't bear thinking about.

I for one am only voting for 1 candidate. Only one talks common sense - others talking shite and pandering to the climate change lobby, as though it’s the only problem that exists on the island. 

1 hour ago, WTF said:

one guy doing 10 hours ?? a week during term time,   it will be quite a few years before any 'savings' even take place based on what this waste of time has likely cost.

That's not DOI CS "think" though.

They can just say that they've been able to successfully dispense with another drain on their staffing budget.

The fact that it's cost them £50k to do it doesn't come into it.

Should we give this one it's own thread or just let it run here for the next 18 weeks?

"

Castletown - The Parade - refurbishment of bus stops
Following a competitive tender process, the Department of Infrastructure has appointed JCK Ltd to reconstruct both the bus stops on The Parade. The work is being undertaken to improve both passenger and pedestrian safety and amenity.
Work is due to start on Monday (6 September), and is anticipated that this project will take approximately 5 to 6 weeks to complete.
On the west side of The Parade, the work includes the installation of an adjusted kerb line, widened pedestrian facilities, repositioning of a street light and replacement of the existing bus shelter. The new kerb line will include a raised “Kassel” Kerb to aid universal bus access. The replacement bus shelter will be positioned on the site of the old shelter.
The work on the east (Castle) side of The Parade includes construction of a passenger loading pier and refurbishment of the existing bus shelter. A suspension of parking at this location has been granted from Monday 13 September until no later than Saturday 2nd October.
The new kerbs have been especially manufactured for the scheme using local Pooil Vaaish stone, to match the existing kerbing, and the areas of new paving will match the existing surface.
The work will be undertaken by a small team in order to minimise disruption. This is a complex build given the large number of services that are located under the road surface, which will require very careful excavation.
Bus Vannin intend to continue to operate bus stops on The Parade whilst work is underway."

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There is a long history to that, its years and years of silliness between (and mostly on the side of) the DoI , and the commissioners.  I've not seen the final plans, but they're going to be stupid aren't they?

Yup:

image.png.f1ec26030b6f60d56ac688b42786550b.png

It looks like a lot of faffing about to produce something that will be no more useful, slightly more dangerous and look rather worse than currently.  Classic DoI basically.  (All details on planning here - it only got through on appeal)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

FFS, it will be bloody chaos around there next week, I thought this might happen as there’s been very slow progress last few weeks, another project well over time & probably budget 

Like the bloody chaos predicted for the Broadway roundel?

Better over time and over budget than being unsafe.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Like the bloody chaos predicted for the Broadway roundel?

Better over time and over budget than being unsafe.

But it is unsafe, very unsafe.

The pelican crossing on Broadway causes all sorts of dangerous  outcomes from  its totally irresponsible positioning and total disregard for standard junction rules developed over the years in the UK which we are supposed to follow.

If you really think our CS are more capable than the CS in the UK then  fair enough.

When the first serious pedestrian accident happens  I will quote your post and my reply here. 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

But it is unsafe, very unsafe.

The pelican crossing on Broadway causes all sorts of dangerous  outcomes from  its totally irresponsible positioning and total disregard for standard junction rules developed over the years in the UK which we are supposed to follow.

If you really think our CS are more capable than the CS in the UK then  fair enough.

When the first serious pedestrian accident happens  I will quote your post and my reply here. 🙂

You do that. But I would imagine the first serious pedestrian accident will be as a result of a driver not driving responsibly and not using the roundel as it should be used.

And quote this as well

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You do that. But I would imagine the first serious pedestrian accident will be as a result of a driver not driving responsibly and not using the roundel as it should be used.

And quote this as well

Would you understand it better if I said it was a cyclist that caused the accident at Broadway Pelican crossing? .......................  🙂

Edited by Boris Johnson

19 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But I would imagine the first serious pedestrian accident will be as a result of a driver not driving responsibly and not using the roundel as it should be used.

But according to the police, the area should be treated as an unmarked junction.  So presumably the only way use the roundel is to ignore it completely.

In which case, why is it there?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But according to the police, the area should be treated as an unmarked junction.  So presumably the only way use the roundel is to ignore it completely.

In which case, why is it there?

Why can’t we just have traffic lights like before the improvements!!!

• Like 1