Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

26 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

So after somebody pointed out to the myprom team of Facebook that the traffic lights by Quids Inn were needless as the road was more than wide enough did they?

a. Remove the lights

Or

b. Move the fence to make the road narrower

B ?

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But traffic light failures are situations which are only very temporary and people know that they are.  This is all-day and all-year round, so as well as there simply being more time for accidents etc, road users will start to develop habits of how they use the area and will tend to stick to what they see the 'right' way to do things.  Which may be different from other peoples' 'right' ways and won't alter with circumstances.

The truth about shared space is that it only really works at low traffic volumes (I've seen 90 vehicles per hour) and where traffic is happy to be at walking pace.  That's fine for the numerous places around the Island it works already (without the DoI apparently noticing) but above that sort of level it breaks down.

Well, I'm still hopeful, and sure the GMP will rise to the occasion and prove everyone wrong. 

I'm a bit more concerned about the stupid decision to retain the horse trams in the centre of the road after Broadway now though. That will be a bloody nightmare in summer.

Give way to the right OR traffic already on the roundabout. The latter is often forgotten by the speedsters on the right!

The above rule is the only way to treat these new roundabouts?

The mini obelisks are to protect pedestrians half way across the road I think. So much for ''Shared Space''!!!

3 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Give way to the right OR traffic already on the roundabout. The latter is often forgotten by the speedsters on the right!

The mini obelisks are to protect pedestrians half way across the road I think. So much for ''Shared Space''!!!

But are they roundabouts?

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Well, I'm still hopeful, and sure the GMP will rise to the occasion and prove everyone wrong. 

I'm a bit more concerned about the stupid decision to retain the horse trams in the centre of the road after Broadway now though. That will be a bloody nightmare in summer.

There not going to be in the center of the road. There going along the sunken garden wall where the previous pavement was . Its currently soil and turf etc . If its the red concrete in the middle of Loch Prom confusing you thats apparently another 'safe'area . 

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

There not going to be in the center of the road. There going along the sunken garden wall where the previous pavement was . Its currently soil and turf etc . If its the red concrete in the middle of Loch Prom confusing you thats apparently another 'safe'area . 

No no, I mean the north end after Broadway, it's an opportunity lost to have a single track the full lenth of the prom. :) 

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

No no, I mean the north end after Broadway, it's an opportunity lost to have a single track the full lenth of the prom. :) 

It will be interesting to see what effect the much larger rail section and groove have on bikes (motor and pedal) and the tarmac/concrete/rail/tarmac/rail/concrete/rail/tarmac/rail/concrete/tarmac surface has.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Screenshot_20210904-171926_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c38e6271f94e77ddaa89e20636339113.jpg

I don’t disagree with what you are saying but it seems @Kopekthinks they are and the whole thing is very confused which is dangerous.. All 3 of the pedestrian crossings on the Broadway junction do not comply with the design recommendations.

The designers and law makers issued an official press release(which has not been rescinded) that states they are to be driven like any other roundabout.

Instructions and laws should be clear, simple and unambiguous if they are going to be useful and safe.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No.

Well clearly they were to start with as they even painted on the give way marks on the ground then a day or so later blacked them out . You can still see on the overhead captures where they did it. So more than a bit of confusion over this subject. 

41 minutes ago, Kopek said:

No, I said the way to treat them is as a roundabout.

Actually, the size of them may reduce the speed of traffic from the right.

Yes, there is plenty of visibility and time to make manoeuvres.

Perhaps a sign, 'give way to the right' or 'take care, no priority at junction' or...? 

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

You haven’t quite figured this out yet have you?

Traffic on the right has no priority.  It’s an unmarked junction and it is very simple.  Slow down and take care, but nobody gives way to you.

• Like 1