Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Red-and-black zebra crossing

But the department has now admitted: "The contrast between the red and black areas is not as good as we had wanted."

Presumably you could have tested this in a DoI depot somewhere. Department of Incompetence strikes again.

And surely there are two patches missing on this 'design' anyway?

Direct quote from DoI's own Guidance GN-06-033 Pedestrian Crossings

"Highway Services is unlikely to install a zebra crossing on a busy town centre street or
outside premises that generate a high number of pedestrian movements, such as schools.
This is likely to result in a constant stream of pedestrians claiming priority and dominating
the facility. This could cause significant delays to traffic and adversely affect traffic
management. A signal controlled crossing is likely to be more suitable in these
circumstances. Each site should be dealt with on a case by case basis, however, a school
crossing patrol may be more appropriate than a zebra crossing outside a school unless the
crossing facility is needed for longer periods outside school opening and closing times. "

So basically, for the two times a day the crossing point is busy then use a school crossing patrol (use same temporary 20 mph signs as Braddan school etc.) and the whole TT problem goes away. FFS.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

So basically, for the two times a day the crossing point is busy then use a school crossing patrol (use same temporary 20 mph signs as Braddan school etc.) and the whole TT problem goes away. FFS.

But that would require the lollipop man to be retained so no "savings" 😂

Plus, remember that hours and hours of time will have been "booked" to this job, from the conception stage to what we now see, thus justifying lots of jobs. The fact that there's nothing useful to show for it is a distant secondary consideration.

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

But that would require the lollipop man to be retained so no "savings" 😂

Plus, remember that hours and hours of time will have been "booked" to this job, from the conception stage to what we now see, thus justifying lots of jobs. The fact that there's nothing useful to show for it is a distant secondary consideration.

Offset costs of lollipop person against the cost of...

It added staff would work with race organisers and monitor grip levels over the winter months to make sure that the crossing is safe for next year's TT.

The job that keeps on giving. Brilliant.

8 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Just seen cyclist come to grief on Central Promenade having got caught in the tram lines.

The rail section and groove is much bigger than what was there previously. I suppose it might make cyclists use the shared footway more.

Must have been an inexperienced cyclist. The old ones were just the same level of hazard. If you went in to them....you were off.

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Must have been an inexperienced cyclist. The old ones were just the same level of hazard. If you went in to them....you were off.

Has been such for as long as I can remember and you don’t really need to be a genius to figure it out.

Will no doubt stick a claim in anyway

58 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Has been such for as long as I can remember and you don’t really need to be a genius to figure it out.

Will no doubt stick a claim in anyway

If the cycling prohibited signs on Central and Queens promenade are still in place I do not think they would have much of a case.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
@manxtaxpayer

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

If the cycling prohibited signs on Central and Queens promenade are still in place I do not think they would have much of a case.

They have gone but I see your point. The shared walkway is very limited (and confusing) so bikes are resorting back to the road and the built in hazard which are the tram tracks.  

2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Just seen cyclist come to grief on Central Promenade having got caught in the tram lines.

The rail section and groove is much bigger than what was there previously. I suppose it might make cyclists use the shared footway more.

This would have all the ingredients to make for an interesting conflict of cultures then. Cyclists vs Heritage rail.

I wonder who Mr Baker would side with....?

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They have gone but I see your point. The shared walkway is very limited (and confusing) so bikes are resorting back to the road and the built in hazard which are the tram tracks.  

The maintenance of correct, up to date signage on the promenade is really poor. There are lots of redundant signs attached to fencing or just left on the paths or roadway.

I do not know if it is Watling/Auldyn or some other body that is responsible but it does not look as though anyone checks the signage with any regularity