Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

14 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

I'm sure a lot of us remember the manhole cover vs sidecars on Bray Hill incident. Part of the reason why DoI are so paranoid about maintaining the course while neglecting so many of the other roads.

TT 1978, Mac Hobson and Kenny Birch, with it also being said to be partly responsible for the additional consecutive death of Ernst Trachsel in the same race (RIP all 3).

IIRC,the problem had been identified during practice before race day, leading to a long white line being painted on the lead-up to the manhole cover to warn drivers on the approach. Previous roadworks had left the manhole area raised and resembling a small take-off ramp.

Following that, over the winter of 78/79, the crest of Bray was reprofiled with Jock Taylor being brought over in early 79 to conduct race-speed tests on the new layout?

Looks like they've got a bit of a wriggle on with Braddan School road now, kerbs are in, top coat is on, white lines are painted. Still one way and forecast to reopen Sunday though but I wouldn't be surprised if it's before that now.

ETA. I went through there earlier today, late morning too, and there were more guys working on it at once than I'd seen at any time previously

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Looks like they've got a bit of a wriggle on with Braddan School road now, kerbs are in, top coat is on, white lines are painted. Still one way and forecast to reopen Sunday though but I wouldn't be surprised if it's before that now.

ETA. I went through there earlier today, late morning too, and there were more guys working on it at once than I'd seen at any time previously

Went past this afternoon and I counted about 20 guys on site. Only about 50% were actually working though. Lot's of pointing and nodding going on.  

15 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Went past this afternoon and I counted about 20 guys on site. Only about 50% were actually working though. Lot's of pointing and nodding going on.  

Its unrealistic for all the staff to be working at any time. Its the same in any industry. Its not like that is it?

They seem to be doing an excellent job to me and have made significant progress

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its unrealistic for all the staff to be working at any time. Its the same in any industry. Its not like that is it?

They seem to be doing an excellent job to me and have made significant progress

It is realistic if they are being paid and at least a week behind schedule. One or two possibly

Would you be happy to pay for 4 painters and have 2 just stood watching when they were already late finsihing the job and no doubt going to cost you more than their original quote?  

48 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

It is realistic if they are being paid and at least a week behind schedule. One or two possibly

Would you be happy to pay for 4 painters and have 2 just stood watching when they were already late finsihing the job and no doubt going to cost you more than their original quote?  

They are not painters though and because of the nature of tarmac/resurfacing works there are inevitable pauses whilst machinery is rotated around. In a team there are mixed responsibilities. 

You are in effect saying that in a football match the goalkeeper should be chasing the ball around instead of waiting to make saves.