Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Totally as predicted.

during tram season traffic flow along the Prom will now be at max horsetram speed. 

This will have a knock on effect at Lord St, Broadway, Summer Hill and Onchan Head. 

During TT, Douglas will be at a total stand still for several hours at a time.

The police will get the blame.

To me the entire thing has been designed with "traffic calming" in mind. Designers don't want anyone travelling at more than 20mph down the entire length, that's the only explanation for the design.

Traffic calming = congestion = slower traffic = road rage :)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

To me the entire thing has been designed with "traffic calming" in mind. Designers don't want anyone travelling at more than 20mph down the entire length, that's the only explanation for the design.

Traffic calming = congestion = slower traffic = road rage :)

I remember reading something from the UK road research labs that the optimal speed to maximise traffic flow is about 22mph

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

The lines must be too narrow if a Smart car owner isn't smugly parking at 90 degrees to everyone else.

Which is always pointless, as you still have to be able top open the doors, ao atill take up a full bay.

The worst part with these narrow lanes and parking spaces, apart from trying to parallel park with an impatient numpty up your ass, will simply be getting in and out of the drivers side. 

If they want a 20mph zone why don't they just make it a 20mph zone?

The question I have is if the rule is to be no more than 50cm from the kerb and that BMW was only say 30cm it'd still be outside the parking bay. So would that get you a ticket? I don't see how any camper or larger delivery van could ever park there legally if that were the case?

Extract from DoI's own GN-00-019 Rev 1.03 MANUAL FOR MANX ROADS

11.5.2 Parking bays should have the following dimensions:

1) When parallel and adjacent to a footway, they should be 6.0 m long and 2.0 m wide

2) When parallel and adjacent to a boundary structure set back at least 1.8 m, they should be 6.0 m long and 2.0 m wide

3) When parallel but adjacent to a boundary structure set back less than 1.8 m, they should be 6.0 m long and 3.2 m wide
4) 45 degree splayed ends should be incorporated

5)When at right angles to and contiguous with carriageways they should be at least 6.0 m long and 2.5 m wide

6) Larger parking spaces should be provided for use by disabled people (see MfMR Parking for Disabled Users)

That looks less than 2m to me. A BMW is about 1.8m & a smart car about 1.6m so those bays are about 1.8.

• Like 2

A cynical point of view; of course, it's worth remembering that in 8 days' time the political slate of responsibility for all this will be wiped clean, as far as the elected are concerned it was all down to the previous, dissolved administration.

But at this point today you, the electorate of course have the opportunity to vote for and legitimise the continuation of what's gone on in the last 5+ years, which is what it will amount to.

Vote for change they tell you. Well, we voted for change last time with a 50% new house.

It brought us non-regulation Promenade works, shoddy workmanship, non-descript roundels, extensions of project budget, red zebra crossings now painted white, strange markings on the Curragh Rd.

It brought us increased Govt headcount and payroll and an extra billion on superannuation liability. It brought us a £50M and rising ferry terminal. One of my candidates thinks it will hit £100M. It brought us the unsanctioned purchase of 100 minibuses.

It most recently brought us sanctioned pollution of marine waters and protection for those responsible and huge compensation payouts for pissed off developers over planning cock ups. It brought us a huge bill for dredging a marina.

It may bring us a huge hike in car road tax. It already brought us rises in sewerage charges.

But we all need to rush out and vote for more of the same.

No thanks.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Which is always pointless, as you still have to be able top open the doors, ao atill take up a full bay.

The worst part with these narrow lanes and parking spaces, apart from trying to parallel park with an impatient numpty up your ass, will simply be getting in and out of the drivers side. 

If they want a 20mph zone why don't they just make it a 20mph zone?

The question I have is if the rule is to be no more than 50cm from the kerb and that BMW was only say 30cm it'd still be outside the parking bay. So would that get you a ticket? I don't see how any camper or larger delivery van could ever park there legally if that were the case?

Extract from DoI's own GN-00-019 Rev 1.03 MANUAL FOR MANX ROADS

11.5.2 Parking bays should have the following dimensions:

1) When parallel and adjacent to a footway, they should be 6.0 m long and 2.0 m wide

2) When parallel and adjacent to a boundary structure set back at least 1.8 m, they should be 6.0 m long and 2.0 m wide

3) When parallel but adjacent to a boundary structure set back less than 1.8 m, they should be 6.0 m long and 3.2 m wide
4) 45 degree splayed ends should be incorporated

5)When at right angles to and contiguous with carriageways they should be at least 6.0 m long and 2.5 m wide

6) Larger parking spaces should be provided for use by disabled people (see MfMR Parking for Disabled Users)

That looks less than 2m to me. A BMW is about 1.8m & a smart car about 1.6m so those bays are about 1.8.

Well in this quote from the DOI from June 2019

A spokesman for the Department of Infrastructure said: ’The tram tracks are 300mm wider at the request of Isle of Man Transport, the position of the tracks is virtually as it was before. 

’The roadway is 3.25 metres wide on either side of tracks as a "running lane", allowing 1.8 metres for parked vehicles. The carriageway is now a consistent 3.25m width along the route - previously it was as narrow as 2.8m in places.

’There shouldn’t be a need for vehicles to move onto the red (sienna) tram corridor.’

So they clearly feel no need to follow their own manual 

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

A cynical point of view; of course, it's worth remembering that in 8 days' time the political slate of responsibility for all this will be wiped clean, as far as the elected are concerned it was all down to the previous, dissolved administration.

But at this point today you, the electorate of course have the opportunity to vote for and legitimise the continuation of what's gone on in the last 5+ years, which is what it will amount to.

Vote for change they tell you. Well, we voted for change last time with a 50% new house.

It brought us non-regulation Promenade works, shoddy workmanship, non-descript roundels, extensions of project budget, red zebra crossings now painted white, strange markings on the Curragh Rd.

It brought us increased Govt headcount and payroll and an extra billion on superannuation liability. It brought us a £50M and rising ferry terminal. One of my candidates thinks it will hit £100M. It brought us the unsanctioned purchase of 100 minibuses.

It most recently brought us sanctioned pollution of marine waters and protection for those responsible and huge compensation payouts for pissed off developers over planning cock ups. It brought us a huge bill for dredging a marina.

It may bring us a huge hike in car road tax. It already brought us rises in sewerage charges.

But we all need to rush out and vote for more of the same.

No thanks.

Indeed, doubtful I'll be wasting shoe leather going to vote this time around.