Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, TomTucker said:

Drove through greeba now this is down, oh dear its not the prettiest and doesnt look very thick so all the existing banding on the road is still there plus more from the new surface. Its basically slurry and gravel !

That can’t be the finished surface surely? The road wasn’t that bumpy/lumpy  previously, it was actually quite smooth but now it’s like the surface of the moon.

3 hours ago, TomTucker said:

Drove through greeba now this is down, oh dear its not the prettiest and doesnt look very thick so all the existing banding on the road is still there plus more from the new surface. Its basically slurry and gravel !

They've done the same thing at Glen Auldyn and also between Ramsey Hairpin and the Waterworks although to be fair, it's filled in and levelled out some of the ruts in the previous surface. It's certainly not as smooth a surface as tarmac though, perhaps it's yet to get another dressing of tar and chippings?

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

That can’t be the finished surface surely? The road wasn’t that bumpy/lumpy  previously, it was actually quite smooth but now it’s like the surface of the moon.

You should try it on a pushbike. I have lost fillings.

It is the final finish I am sure. Its the same as the Poortown to Laurel Bank dressing that was done 3 years ago. To be fair, apart from the odd chuck that came out early doors, its still in decent nick

4 hours ago, english zloty said:

I ordered a 2.5m statue not 2.5ft

image.png.0b5f7f51899d6e85a0c28fa6944042c3.png

The Spinal Tap was a mix-up between 18 inches (") and 18 feet (')

A chap in Laxey once ordered a fancy ornamental water wheel for his back garden.

Unfortunately the builder read the drawing units as yards not inches:

1396643270_LaxeyWheel021.jpg.81075def1c2adf644c917e7e53aa855e.jpg

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 2

Some resurfacing has been done in Baldrine - looks a bit like someone had "a bit of tarmac left over from the Promenade job" in the back of a lorry.

Where there were already some horrendous dips whenever you encountered a grid, those dips are now double the depth.

It's worse than having the village filled with "sleeping policemen". Try speeding through and your wheels will come off. 

24 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Some resurfacing has been done in Baldrine - looks a bit like someone had "a bit of tarmac left over from the Promenade job" in the back of a lorry.

Where there were already some horrendous dips whenever you encountered a grid, those dips are now double the depth.

It's worse than having the village filled with "sleeping policemen". Try speeding through and your wheels will come off. 

When they did the same in Ballasalla a couple of years ago soon after they had a crew spend a week or so raising all of the grids. I assume they will do the same there.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

When they did the same in Ballasalla a couple of years ago soon after they had a crew spend a week or so raising all of the grids. I assume they will do the same there.

Daft not to and the bit they did in Ramsey a couple of years ago looks good still. It looked like Sh1t when first spread but now looks good.

From what I have been told, From an oldtimer DOI type,  the old type of tar/ loose chippings we used to see all the time  over here and on the mainland are really bad environmentally wise, full of coal tar which is apparently carcinogenic

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

The secret of the new statue is out: 

3AD2B7B9-2D49-4DC4-80EE-9EA91E3BB798.jpeg

1F20238E-AEDE-45EA-B7FC-1ADB38D82624.jpeg

What do the tubes of sealant signify. I'm thinking it's an ode to Tracy Emin's 'My bed'. I'm not to keen on the dancing figures, but the rucksack and sealant are wonderful contemporary glints in to the artists mind. An emotional resonance of the workers toil against a backdrop of crazy paving, swirls and roundels. A cacophony of styles squeezed into a tight space, the workers last stand in a battle of civil engineering and grace.

Oh, right he hasn't cleared up yet...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9