Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 minute ago, AlanShimmin said:

No, but now we have a chance of a Minister who may actually get to grips with the problems rather than encourage them.

Who though? Not only to deal with the individuals but the complete system that protects them?

Look at the Chief Secretary covering the back of the Silt Discharger, for instance; in Govt/PS circles you're not allowed to be a complete cnut to these people, they cry foul about bullying and harassment.

Unfortunately, a complete cnut is what's needed, even if it means dragging those responsible out of their offices and rubbing their noses in Douglas Promenade or the Ferry Terminal. Who has just been elected with any such credential?

It's not going to happen, we are stuck with them and their biblical cock ups until such time as they handsomely retire at our expense.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Only a fool would accept the role.

Actually if Cowin would have got in it would have been a perfect fit. He's no fool mind and if nothing else would have made great entertainment as he for sure would have stood no nonsense from CS in DOI . He did a similiar job years ago when with N.I. going around the old Nobles to justify jobs and they had to take him off it as was upsetting staff so much as was finding out many were actually not doing anything . Also famously again when in same dept was in charge of work permit violations , Gubay was a main protagonist , and he made his life hell . Did he or did he not hit him !!?? Lol . He for sure would sort out DOI if anyone could.    

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Actually if Cowin would have got in it would have been a perfect fit. He's no fool mind and if nothing else would have made great entertainment as he for sure would have stood no nonsense from CS in DOI . He did a similiar job years ago when with N.I. going around the old Nobles to justify jobs and they had to take him off it as was upsetting staff so much as was finding out many were actually not doing anything . Also famously again when in same dept was in charge of work permit violations , Gubay was a main protagonist , and he made his life hell . Did he or did he not hit him !!?? Lol . He for sure would sort out DOI if anyone could.    

He didn’t hit Gubay. Found not guilty on a submission of no case to answer at the end of the prosecution case. No need to call any defence evidence.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

He didn’t hit Gubay. Found not guilty on a submission of no case to answer at the end of the prosecution case. No need to call any defence evidence.

Yes I know he was found not guilty for reasons you mentioned. No witnesses and based purely on one persons word against another. Still doesnt answer my suggestion/question though. 

Just back from Onchan and took the time to check out the Prom works. Anyone out and about over the weekend can check out the new tarmac on the sea side  opposite the Queens , and down towards the T Shirt shops ,which was just done a week or so ago . I was driving so not that easy to view but its either breaking up already or laid very badly. And I mean VERY badly. Interested to hear anyones comments who walks along that way. Oh and going on the current rate of progress my estimation for finishing the top layer of tarmac would be mid November at the earliest and then the 4 weeks snagging they say is needed so its going to be tight for Xmas !! 

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Just back from Onchan and took the time to check out the Prom works. Anyone out and about over the weekend can check out the new tarmac on the sea side  opposite the Queens , and down towards the T Shirt shops ,which was just done a week or so ago . I was driving so not that easy to view but its either breaking up already or laid very badly. And I mean VERY badly. Interested to hear anyones comments who walks along that way. Oh and going on the current rate of progress my estimation for finishing the top layer of tarmac would be mid November at the earliest and then the 4 weeks snagging they say is needed so its going to be tight for Xmas !! 

Not on the roadway but on the pavement, poor finish and why or why so wide?. Palace cannot be pleased with it like this in front of them. 

Did we really pay £25m plus for this?. 

IMG_20210924_160428.jpg

IMG_20210922_112233.jpg

2 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Not on the roadway but on the pavement, poor finish and why or why so wide?. Palace cannot be pleased with it like this in front of them. 

Did we really pay £25m plus for this?. 

IMG_20210924_160428.jpg

IMG_20210922_112233.jpg

That looks great , and its not , compared to the road as mentioned on my post above. It looked like actual holes or breaking up already from what I could see . If your down again check it out . I might try and take some pics on Sunday .

4 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Looks like the Broadway Roundel zebra crossing has been closed off to pedestrians. 

I'm told DOI have been advised it's nonstandard/illegal due to it's proximity to the junction. 

A friend complained about it to myprom earlier in the week as there are no crossings open North of there on the promenade and no signs as to where nearest open crossing is. Were told it was to do with replacing blockwork but they had no idea how long it was shut for. 

IMG_20210924_160946.jpg

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

That looks great , and its not , compared to the road as mentioned on my post above. It looked like actual holes or breaking up already from what I could see . If your down again check it out . I might try and take some pics on Sunday .

Why block pavement in front of Castle Mona shops and acres of tarmac either side of it?, looks awful to me. 

12 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Looks like the Broadway Roundel zebra crossing has been closed off to pedestrians. 

I'm told DOI have been advised it's nonstandard/illegal due to it's proximity to the junction. 

Well if that is the reason then the one on bottom of Broadway has to be illegal also. Interesting times ! And all this with the depth of knowledge and expertise assembled at great expense in DOI .

• Like 1

Just now, ellanvannin2010 said:

Why block pavement in front of Castle Mona shops and acres of tarmac either side of it?, looks awful to me. 

My guess is it was meant to be right along but because of overrun/ costs etc they have cut out lots of the spec. Theres quite alot of that gone on over the last year.