Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Just now, Numbnuts said:

I believe theres regulations covering them as standard safe practices . I thought a crossing couldnt be withing a certain distance of a junction but others on here would know better. Derek Flint should know .     

That would make it not compliant with a standard.....but not illegal. 

Perhaps it could be said to have no legal standing and that a vehicle was not compelled to stop at one if a pedestrian set foot on it. But then I thought that was always the idea. They were not supposed to be zebra crossings, more a loose indication of a place to cross.

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That would make it not compliant with a standard.....but not illegal. 

Perhaps it could be said to have no legal standing and that a vehicle was not compelled to stop at one if a pedestrian set foot on it. But then I thought that was always the idea. They were not supposed to be zebra crossings, more a loose indication of a place to cross.

Get what your saying and you could be right. Big risk to take though . See you in court comes to mind if anything should happen .

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Can crossings actually be illegal?

Might not be correctly sited or signed, not sure if that is the same as illegal. 

It certainly does not meet the recommendations in the UK guide they use as you should not mix the type of crossing on junction exits. 

If the grey/light grey crossings are not zebra crossings then why have the all grey ones also?. 

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

Get what your saying and you could be right. Big risk to take though . See you in court comes to mind if anything should happen .

I'm not defending them, merely clarifying the legality.

Not sure who would be in court for what. If a driver kills a pedestrian, they are at fault whether the pedestrian is on a crossing or not.

As they stand they are clearly not pedestrian crossings

3 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Might not be correctly sited or signed, not sure if that is the same as illegal. 

It certainly does not meet the recommendations in the UK guide they use as you should not mix the type of crossing on junction exits. 

If the grey/light grey crossings are not zebra crossings then why have the all grey ones also?. 

I'm not sure they are even trying to be zebra crossings.

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not sure they are even trying to be zebra crossings.

From a health and safety angle though there must have to be an acceptable means to cross the Prom bearing in mind it can get really busy down there . Do these meet that requirment ? If not how do you fill the void. And how do disabled or compromised pedestrians cross safely ?  Surely theres a onus on DOI to make any crossing , or whatever you want to call them , safe to negotiate. 

Edited by Numbnuts

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

From a health and safety angle though there must have to be an acceptable means to cross the Prom bearing in mind it can get really busy down there . Do these meet that requirment ? If not how do you fill the void. And how do disabled or compromised pedestrians cross safely ?  Surely theres a onus on DOI to make any crossing , or whatever you want to call them , safe to negotiate. 

I'm not sure why you are asking me this question.

Cheers

Tim

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not defending them, merely clarifying the legality.

Not sure who would be in court for what. If a driver kills a pedestrian, they are at fault whether the pedestrian is on a crossing or not.

As they stand they are clearly not pedestrian crossings

The same as the roundels are not unmarked junctions, despite what Plod might say. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

I believe theres regulations covering them as standard safe practices . I thought a crossing couldnt be withing a certain distance of a junction but others on here would know better. Derek Flint should know .     

From memory I think the recommended minimum distances from a junction are 20m for light controlled crossing and 5m for a zebra crossing.

• Like 1

Just now, ellanvannin2010 said:

From memory I think the recommended minimum distances from a junction are 20m for light controlled crossing and 5m for a zebra crossing.

Well the bottom of Broadway is not even close to that so either the powers that be are winging it or its wrong. Going to be interesting to see what happens when its all up and working and open and Xmas traffic is in the equation. 

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Well the bottom of Broadway is not even close to that so either the powers that be are winging it or its wrong. Going to be interesting to see what happens when its all up and working and open and Xmas traffic is in the equation. 

This is the UK standard booklet. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/330214/ltn-2-95_pedestrian-crossings.pdf