Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

15 hours ago, The Old Git said:

I think the DOI originally said they would be roundabouts. More recently, when the police asked them for clarification, they’d changed to uncontrolled junctions. 

they were roundabouts on the pretty pictures at the sea terminal IIRC ??

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I had to wait at the Villa at the weekend for about 15 mins for something, so went up on the balcony to admire 'myprom' and the 'not-roundabouts'. 

Everyone was definitely treating it like a roundabout.  I watched one guy coming down from Broadway, sit there for about 5 minutes waiting for someone on his right (north bound) to let him out.  Nobody did.

Just shows how thick people are.  I am deliberately treating them differently each to time I go down there to spice things up a bit and wind up the clowns who think they have right of way when they don’t.

A serious point though, unless I messed it when you come down Broadway there is literally no road sign of recognised road marking to  advise you that the road does anything but carry on.  The only thing you see is a red or green light depending on if there is anyone on the crossing.

My passenger (from off island, double jabbed, don’t panic) quite rightly said that he would have probably seen the green light and just cracked on as he couldn’t understand why I slowed down to a crawl

4 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I am considering having a picnic on the roundel at the bottom of Broadway. It is a shared space after all. 

Make it a really big barbecue. With any luck the heat will wreck the tarmac and paint and they'll have to rip it up and do it properly.

That's if they're not already being embarrassed into it.

On 9/29/2021 at 8:58 AM, The Phantom said:

I watched one guy coming down from Broadway, sit there for about 5 minutes waiting for someone on his right (north bound) to let him out.  Nobody did.

Good use of the horn to alert him to the fact that it's not a roundabout. 

Also when is that section near Broadway finally going to have those temporary lights taken away? They're taking the piss, they keep putting down horse tram tracks then lifting them up. Just chalk it down as a loss and tarmac over it.

Went down to Gaiety Roundel from Ficnh Road to head over to Broadway and nearly got caught out by a vehicle heading south doing a U-turn on it without indicating to go back north. Previously the road layout kept both sets of vehicles apart on the junction and you could then filter across in front of the Gaiety and Villa Arcade as needed. Luckily it was very quiet at the time so the manouvre jumped out, but if it had been busy I could have easily misread the situation and gotten t-boned.

With no clear lanes and people not even bothering to indicate, certainly seems less safe and is bound to lead to conflict and aggro. Throw in a few pedestrians, cyclists and maybe a white van.

Got the impression there were zebra crossings of some sort, grey and white stripes and dropped kerbs etc. but no signs or beacons but maybe they are unfinished. Certainly didn't see any zig zags.  

Only anecdotal but most people I've spoken to are going elsewhere and bypassing the route altogether. It'll be interesting to see how businesses get on when it supposedly finishes and we get the first full Xmas in. Braddan commisioners must be raking it in. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 11:57 AM, Roger Mexico said:

I don't think 'embarrassed' is a concept that the DoI have.  Otherwise they would have curled up and died years ago.

No, clearly not. Nick Black has (so far) destroyed the careers of three Ministers, and is still firing out press releases about spending £9m on unnecessary tarmac and concrete at the Airport, plus £2m on new fire engines, to replace the barely used old ones.

This guy, and his 'minder' Greenhow, should be first in the cross hairs of the new CM.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Nellie said:

No, clearly not. Nick Black has (so far) destroyed the careers of three Ministers, and is still firing out press releases about spending £9m on unnecessary tarmac and concrete at the Airport, plus £2m on new fire engines, to replace the barely used old ones.

This guy, and his 'minder' Greenhow, should be first in the cross hairs of the new CM.

Dont forget NBs sidekicks JR and IL they should have been f**ked off long ago, JR was responsible for getting rid of the staff at the coalface and trying to replace them with contractors who he assumed were 2apenny soon found out that contractors cost a lot more, if anyone has any doubts just think of the Prom for starters, there are more managers at the DOI than men on the ground doing the jobs that taxpayer's want you know potholes filled,road markings you can see, road gullies free of detritus that actually catch the water, visible signs, hedges/weeds trimmed back to allow people to walk on footpaths without walking on the road, these are the little things that the powers that be have lost, as the old workforce knew the troublepots and as part of their "wet day duties" would have been dealt with before they became a issue, unfortunately that is what happens when you put someone in charge who doesn't have a clue how to maintain the Infrastructure of the Island. To be fair on JR Mr Gawne had a hand in this debacle as it was his idea to hand services over the the LAs how he thought they were going to staff and equip all the LA's to carry out the task's previously carried out by DOI, IMO they were duped into taking on these services by getting a reduction of the EFW plant charges, the LA's must know now that the money they were given would not pay for the services they took over from DOI, maybe one of our LA members could tell us if the exercise was cost negative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Only anecdotal but most people I've spoken to are going elsewhere and bypassing the route altogether. It'll be interesting to see how businesses get on when it supposedly finishes and we get the first full Xmas in.

An area to avoid methinks Was down there yesterday and the indecision and hesitations at those roundels will lead to a bang or two I'm sure. 

Whatever possessed them ? Was there some financial incentive (saving money I mean) or was it just to brighten the place up a bit.

Yes, I will stay away from that end for a while because I think they will have to implement more safety features at some point (or even proper roundabouts).

Edited by Apple
fat fingers today - sorry

Just now, Apple said:

An area to avoid methinks Was down there yesterday and the indecision and hesitations at those roundels will lead to a bang or two I'm sure. 

Whatever possessed them ? Was there some financial incentive (saving money I mean) or was it just to brighten the place up a bit.

Yes, I will sat away from that end for a while because I think they will have to implement more safety features at some point (or even proper roundabouts).

Proper roundabouts? Now wouldn't that have been a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1