Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Proper roundabouts? Now wouldn't that have been a good idea.

New Infrastructure Minister could gain a few supporters in the matter of a few days by doing this. 

Scrub off those ridiculous shell-grip ovals, paint on a roundabout and proper junction signs/markings. It should take 5 days tops.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Richmond Hill shutting next week at nights to clean the drains, did they not just have a load of work done on the drains throughout the summer? Which over ran by weeks.

Could they not have cleaned them then?.

TBH I'm just surprised to hear they're doing proactive maintenance. 

Scheduling work at the same time is a bit beyond the present DOI. 

One anomaly that I've noticed during my commutes and work-related trundling around the Island is that with the onset of colder, wetter weather in the last 7 days, there's been a noticeable drop-off in the number of cyclists using the roads, particularly around Douglas and through Crosby etc. to Peel and Ramsey too.

This really doesn't make any sense, because we, the taxpayers, have shelled out many, many thousands of pounds to provide cyclists with dedicated cycle lanes and conditions to encourage and facilitate a mode of transport that we were assured was viable 52 weeks of the year.

Is there any explanation for this, other than it was a lot of fad-driven bollocks?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

One anomaly that I've noticed during my commutes and work-related trundling around the Island is that with the onset of colder, wetter weather in the last 7 days, there's been a noticeable drop-off in the number of cyclists using the roads, particularly around Douglas and through Crosby etc. to Peel and Ramsey too.

This really doesn't make any sense, because we, the taxpayers, have shelled out many, many thousands of pounds to provide cyclists with dedicated cycle lanes and conditions to encourage and facilitate a mode of transport that we were assured was viable 52 weeks of the year.

Is there any explanation for this, other than it was a lot of fad-driven bollocks?

DOI and Baker driven and clearly not justified . Roads arent wide enough and see the Cycle markings between Bray Hill and the Grandstand have gone . What cyclist in there right mind , unless a real enthusiast, would cycle in the winter. More DOI create a job schemes to hoodwink the masses . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It is. There really aren't very many cycle routes. Very few of them are connected up correctly. Some of them just end and leave cyclists in the middle of a main road.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

DOI and Baker driven and clearly not justified . Roads arent wide enough and see the Cycle markings between Bray Hill and the Grandstand have gone . What cyclist in there right mind , unless a real enthusiast, would cycle in the winter. More DOI create a job schemes to hoodwink the masses . 

Lots of people commute to work on bikes in all weathers. It's what waterproofs were designed for. Yes some will get the bus or car but a lot of people are persevering in all weathers.

2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Richmond Hill shutting next week at nights to clean the drains, did they not just have a load of work done on the drains throughout the summer? Which over ran by weeks.

Could they not have cleaned them then?.

Probably didn't clear up loose chippings quickly enough and they got wsashed into drains in the first heavy rain. Because we don't do roadsweepers any more. Literally money down the drain.

Happened at Peel Road too didn't it? So lessons not learned, whoda thunk. Maybe a sacking or two would focus minds on the basics.

Edited by CallMeCurious
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Lots of people commute to work on bikes in all weathers. It's what waterproofs were designed for. Yes some will get the bus or car but a lot of people are persevering in all weathers.

Lots? Really? ~The few I know are poor sods who have no choice becasue they can't drive or are not allowed to and the bus service is crap.

Can't wait to see the herds of people dodging the waves walking down from Summerland car park to Athol Street and Victoria Street this winter. It'll certainly give them active travel.

You can always tell new arrivals on the island, they are the ones with umbrellas. But not for long.

Edited by CallMeCurious
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Could it be the standing water, piles of wet leaves, poor lighting, strong winds and driving rain? 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

One anomaly that I've noticed during my commutes and work-related trundling around the Island is that with the onset of colder, wetter weather in the last 7 days, there's been a noticeable drop-off in the number of cyclists

Every cloud has a literal silver lining! 

Fewer cyclists will result in more freely flowing traffic (expect where the DOI piss about) and so will reduce emissions. 

• Like 2