Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

40 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

No.  Because we have already seen the plans which give us plenty of scope to diss it and point out that it was clearly designed by people who have….

Never been to Ramsey.

Never experienced Manx weather.

Have no understanding of the parking situation in Ramsey.

Have no real understanding of the flooding issues in Ramsey.

Have no clue how the fishing boats operate.

Have shares in a wanky Chinese granite company.

Fundamental flaw in the design is removable sections and not gates. Imagine as the tide is rising wind howling, 1 am and that last section won't fit? A corroded socket, a bent panel or just run out of time because the guys on duty that night have never put it up before. Panic. Trying to block the gap with sandbags as water starts to seep up round your feet.

This flood event is a once in a decade event so will they at least do an annual test at the end of summer in preperation?

Debris or a boat stirkes a glass barrier when it has a metre of water behind it? At 1 tonne a cubic meter, every metre would hold back a ton of water. So you have a foot wide concrete wall 80% and 20% is glass or temporary barriers?

You only need one point of failure at the wrong time and £4.5m of work is for nothing.

Also there are 3 or 4 cut-through lanes which are nowhere near the zebra crossings? Do you think anyone is going to go 20-30 yards the wrong way to cross the road? 

I do hope they keep the current barriers on the street side active as a last resort.

Edited by CallMeCurious

Everyone needs to cheer themselves up by remembering that it isn't just politicians/planners/architects/civil engineers in the Isle of Man who get things hopelessly wrong.  It's just that the IoM is 50 years behind.

I was doing some research into London housing estates the other day and found these two gems on Youtube.  The first video shows what the GLC wanted and thought they were getting - lots of crayonistas with multi-colour felt pens in evidence - and the second video shows the hell-hole they accidentally (I hope) created.  Anybody who has ever visited Thamesmead will know what it's like.

Because they ran out of money building it, they couldn't afford to build the promised shopping centre or transport links to the rest of London - which sort of defeated the whole purpose of building it in the first place!  Or maybe it was just a really bad idea from the outset and nobody noticed.

And they wanted to build a sailing marina too...

Plenty of late 1960s early 1970s fashion crimes in that first one... brilliant

On 10/5/2021 at 3:40 PM, Happier diner said:

I think a single white line around a parking space is just a guide. It is not an offence to cross the line as far as I am aware unless a fee is charged (and you are taking more than one space). A double white line indicates the extent of a parking zone, usually abuts a double yellow line and it would be an offence to exceed that.

Therefore if your vehicle is too wide, i don't believe it matters unless you are causing an obstruction

Some people do struggle with the concept though

image.png.a249b4c161c3e674ed1e2cbbd132369f.png

9 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Fundamental flaw in the design is removable sections and not gates. Imagine as the tide is rising wind howling, 1 am and that last section won't fit? A corroded socket, a bent panel or just run out of time because the guys on duty that night have never put it up before. Panic. Trying to block the gap with sandbags as water starts to seep up round your feet.

This flood event is a once in a decade event so will they at least do an annual test at the end of summer in preperation?

Debris or a boat stirkes a glass barrier when it has a metre of water behind it? At 1 tonne a cubic meter, every metre would hold back a ton of water. So you have a foot wide concrete wall 80% and 20% is glass or temporary barriers?

You only need one point of failure at the wrong time and £4.5m of work is for nothing.

Also there are 3 or 4 cut-through lanes which are nowhere near the zebra crossings? Do you think anyone is going to go 20-30 yards the wrong way to cross the road? 

I do hope they keep the current barriers on the street side active as a last resort.

Have you seen the Castletown flood barrier? The flood gates open away from the water so the weight of the water is held by the bolts not the seals, ie, I think they are the wrong way round 'cos the water should surely press the gates closed against the seals ? What does anyone else think?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

No.  Because we have already seen the plans which give us plenty of scope to diss it and point out that it was clearly designed by people who have….

Never been to Ramsey.

Never experienced Manx weather.

Have no understanding of the parking situation in Ramsey.

Have no real understanding of the flooding issues in Ramsey.

Have no clue how the fishing boats operate.

Have shares in a wanky Chinese granite company.

My thought was that they could put a Thames Barrier type installation in-between those 2 concrete piers at the entrance to the harbour.

Only raise it in emergency's so the harbour does not silt up.

Could be raised for special boat events to keep the harbour full

Really dont like the glass wall idea, they will be filthy and look sh1t all the time in that salty environment.

- 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You’ve been on here long enough to realize that positivity is not encouraged or even recognized but is to be dismissed.

yes, a bit like the truth.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

My thought was that they could put a Thames Barrier type installation in-between those 2 concrete piers at the entrance to the harbour.

Really dont like the glass wall idea, they will be filthy and look sh1t all the time in that salty environment.

- 

I remember plenty of times when high tide and a low pressure combine with a load of rain as part of the storm.

I am not convinced blocking the flow of the river out to sea for a few hours at a time is the best solution.

Temporary drop in barriers when needed and leave the rest of the quayside as is.  These floods are never surprise events and you get at least a couple of days notice.  They also need to deal with the fact that as much comes up through the drains as over the harbour wall.

Or they could just listen to the home and business owners.  Most are used to these events which have happened for well over 150 years and who just clear their basements when a flood is coming, install their own temporary defences, mop up and crack on as they always had.

This is just another vanity project pure and simple.

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

I remember plenty of times when high tide and a low pressure combine with a load of rain as part of the storm.

I am not convinced blocking the flow of the river out to sea for a few hours at a time is the best solution.

Temporary drop in barriers when needed and leave the rest of the quayside as is.  These floods are never surprise events and you get at least a couple of days notice.  They also need to deal with the fact that as much comes up through the drains as over the harbour wall.

Or they could just listen to the home and business owners.  Most are used to these events which have happened for well over 150 years and who just clear their basements when a flood is coming, install their own temporary defences, mop up and crack on as they always had.

This is just another vanity project pure and simple.

If you have a couple of days notice then you could empty the Mooragh lake and use that as a storage tank for the river water with a couple of big pumps in it for the really big river flows.

We can't do nothing, sea levels are rising and unless we just write off low lying areas, Ramsey Quays, we have to install something.

Having said that, we already have a Little London on the island, how about a Little Venice?

I do wonder what history does NB JR have as regards Infrastructure? as the DOI is aptly named how were they selected for the post's they hold? I assume the CS bods who carried out the interviews for these positions had a job description and specification? also what would be expected from each candidate to carry out the task's as described and specified? I am sure the job would have required carrying out a major infrastructure project during their time as CEO and DoH if so, have they failed to carry out their duties? If the answer to any of the above questions is yes why are they still employed? I do wonder if we are being led up the garden path by the current CS and taken for fools as it would appear that there is no repercussion's for bad or costly management decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

If you have a couple of days notice then you could empty the Mooragh lake and use that as a storage tank for the river water with a couple of big pumps in it for the really big river flows.

We can't do nothing, sea levels are rising and unless we just write off low lying areas, Ramsey Quays, we have to install something.

Having said that, we already have a Little London on the island, how about a Little Venice?

Sea levels aren’t rising in any way that we need to be concerned for decades.

None of the predictions of climate disaster and rising levels etc from years ago have come to anything and I don’t suddenly foresee Ramsey (which floods no more frequently than it did a hundred years ago) is suddenly going to start flooding regularly.

If it is, then they might want to start by reconsidering where they are proposing to build the latest batches of housing just upstream.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

- 

A bit like Peter Karran's classic suggestion that Douglas Bay should be dug out 6 foot to prevent the rising sea levels. 

11 minutes ago, Driver2020 said:

Ramsey used to flood when i was teenager many years ago especially church street.

Yes....back as far as Waterloo Rd too in the 60s, the basements in the terraces along there were regularly flooded. Building up and strengthening the Harbour walls in the mid 80s alleviated much of that, even the flooding of 7-odd years ago was nothing in comparison.

Another issue is going to arise back up the Sulby River via the Whitebridge on the Auldyn flood plain which is happily being developed now. Gardener's Lane used to flood up almost as far as the railway crossing. Somebody has recently posted on here somewhere that there's going to be a phase of Moon activity in the next ten years or so which may dramatically affect tides too.

• Like 1