Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

31 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

After taking a drive along the old prom yesterday, I have moved towards agreeing with you. The belisha beacons are the breaker for me so I now agree that these are zebra crossings. There are alternate crossing points it seems (every other one) that are just block paved 'changes of surface' and these are the ones I was mistakenly referring to. These are the ones that are supposed to encourage crossing.

The crossings that we will now refer to as 'zebra crossings' do not meet the recommended standard as they have no zig zags nor stop lines, but the highway code defines a zebra crossing as having black and white stripes (our off white and grey is near enough maybe) and two belisha beacons

So yes, they look like a duck so they must be a duck

I did wonder if we were indeed talking about the exact same crossings 🤣

I fully agree with you about the blocked paved non-zebra crossings - the very design of those is dangerous and will get somebody killed. 

The ones they are passing off as zebras are also dangerous due to the lack of zig zags like you mention, again they will get somebody killed. 

There are also issues with the proximity of parked cars obscuring pedestrians from drivers on most of the Loch Prom crossings. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/330214/ltn-2-95_pedestrian-crossings.pdf

Then we have the traffic lights at the bottom of Broadway opening the possibility of confusing drivers. 

Then we have the removal of the guard railing around Sam Webbs and the Regent Street crossing. They were installed for good reason after some very near misses in those areas previously. 

Edited by James Blonde

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Anyone any idea what these are all about?. They have the pavements all sorts of shapes elsewhere so why these?. 

IMG_20211011_120431.jpg

IMG_20211011_120358.jpg

Are they remote controlled retractable? For reserved parking etc?

24 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

what.jpg

Someone from inContinent, creating a brown trouser moment in the adjacent car?

Apparently, people have been ignoring the instructions at Walpole Avenue - now reversed again, and back to being North to South.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, James Blonde said:

They're actually the base for the stocks that vigilantes are going to put the DOI senior management in when the Prom is 'complete'. 

If you could make arrangements for this I think it would be one of the most well attended events in our history. 

4 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Anyone any idea what these are all about?. They have the pavements all sorts of shapes elsewhere so why these?. 

IMG_20211011_120431.jpg

IMG_20211011_120358.jpg

If there by a Bus stop they have been put in as the gap , as in depth of lay by, is not deep enough when cars park to then allow the bus to get close enough to the curb so when it lowers to let passengers of or on theres no gap. Apparently there coming back at a later date to dig out , remove the posts and reinstate the car parking spaces . Nothing to see here just another major design cockup. Couldnt make it up ! As others have mentioned before cars parking are encroaching onto the road . Not seeminly a problem but is where buses are to pull in.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/11/2021 at 5:01 PM, Numbnuts said:

If there by a Bus stop they have been put in as the gap , as in depth of lay by, is not deep enough when cars park to then allow the bus to get close enough to the curb so when it lowers to let passengers of or on theres no gap. Apparently there coming back at a later date to dig out , remove the posts and reinstate the car parking spaces . Nothing to see here just another major design cockup. Couldnt make it up ! As others have mentioned before cars parking are encroaching onto the road . Not seeminly a problem but is where buses are to pull in.   

FFS surely by the law of averages you think the numpties would have done something right by now. Personally I think they need to call in an exorcist becasue this project is surely cursed. At the very least why isn't someone going for the PI insurance on these clowns? This is literally what it is for.

• Like 1

I see the 'zebra crossing' on Loch Prom by RBS Building/now Lloyd's is being done again. I think this is the fifth time it's been dug up and redone. 

1) first time it was laid.

2) dug up and new bedding/sand used 

3) dug up and a concrete pad poured underneath.

4) dug up again and new bedding/sand used again 

5) whatever they're doing to it now, all the blocks are lifted out on one side. 

Who decided to lay a block work crossing across one of the busiest roads on the island?