Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Do you know the difference between asphalt and tarmac ?

Yes do you ? Name escapes me now but the firm on South Quay used to do a good job and indeed did the walkway sea side on prom. Which actually didn't turn out so well

Edited by Numbnuts

Tarmac is derived from mixing tar with gravel to create a stable aggregate that can be applied directly to the surface. Asphalt is a more modern variation in which naturally occurring tar is replaced by bitumen which is a by-product of the oil industry. Theres one for you and also Asphalt is laid at a much hotter temperature and heated up on site. Tarmac is laid at a much lower temp and stones alot smaller generally. will that do ?? I've laid tarmac a few times but not Asphalt

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Why couldn’t the centre bit be red asphalt?

I thought that would have been better for horses hooves? The pathway for the horses was always done in Tarmac and more recently Asphalt as explained above by Numbnuts! Perhaps they think concrete will be more durable?

Edited by Max Power

46 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I thought that would have been better for horses hooves? The pathway for the horses was always done in Tarmac and more recently Asphalt as explained above by Numbnuts! Perhaps they think concrete will be more durable?

The path for the horses has been done in Tarmac and its the other way around historically. Used to be Asphalt and recent times repaired and patched in Tarmac

From reading the posts here I see that the excavation has not gone as deep as the original plans and budget projections. Does anyone know if there’s a valid reason for this apart from trying to speed things up and look as though they’re still on budget? 

7 minutes ago, ecobob said:

From reading the posts here I see that the excavation has not gone as deep as the original plans and budget projections. Does anyone know if there’s a valid reason for this apart from trying to speed things up and look as though they’re still on budget? 

Yes your right it was supposed to go to around 1.7 meters and now apart from the pipe works its a lot less. Apparently when they started digging they found a crumbling concrete level which apparently has caused the varying undulating finished levels and no voids which they expected to find.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ecobob said:

Because it was nonsense from the word go, and was used to get it through Tynwald? There was no mention of any hotels falling into sinkholes.