Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Who cares?  Everyone knows what they meant.

Very true, especially other people who write it the same way.

However, there's a school of thought which says that if someone won't even take the time to run a spell checker, how far can any "facts" they present be trusted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As always you need to go to the original to get all the juicy details.  The actual reply (which only came today is on the FoI search with a title "Douglas Promenade Digital Counter" and was submitted on 27 September.  The actual request and  reply are as follows:

"Dear Sirs

The Department of Infrastructure installed a digital counter at the bottom of summer hill the cost at a reported cost to the tax payer of £16,000.

Please advise:

1. The actual cost including delivery set up purchase and installation for the digital counter.

2. Where is the digital counter now and does it still work.

3. What measures were taken into account before placing it beside a promenade wall and did the manufacturers warranty include damage by sea water .

4. If the digital counter is no longer working , what did the Department do with the broken digital counter .

Please supply all emails , letters ect in regards the damage caused to the digital counter."

Our response to your request is as follows:

1. The cost of the digital counter was circa £19,000 + costs of internal labour. This figure includes purchase cost, electrical supply and setup costs and software updates.

2. The Digital Display Kiosk is not working and has been disposed of accordingly.

3. Please refer to attached supporting correspondence and documents.

4. As per point 2; any salvageable components such as the LED display screens have been retained to see if they can be utilised elsewhere within our asset groups

Please see Appendix 1 for emails regarding the purchase, setup and damage to the digital counter.

Please see Appendix 2 containing documents relating to the purchase, setup and damage to the digital counter.

For all the real info you need to go to those appendices , especially the emails in A (as usual the servlet problem means I can't link directly).  But this para from page 37/38 sums it up:

I just wanted to let you know that the digital display kiosk which had the pedestrian and cyclist counter inside I originally procured for the Prom is essentially ‘knackered’, despite my specification that it must be constructed to withstand a high salt air/marine environment and showed the supplier where it would be going on the walkway in proximity to the sea it has corroded very badly on the outside of the casing and has so much water ingress that internal components have corroded and are not functioning, this is due mostly because of the vents for the air flow which allowed waves crashing over to enter the unit.

Naturally because of this disaster they've decided they now need three of them.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Link to FoI search
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I'd suggest that in the opinion of many of the GMP, Crookall's best start would involve marching one or two DOI mandarins out into the Sea Terminal carpark and telling them that if the job was not acceptably finished by a researched and realistic date then they'd be acquainting themselves with the counter in Markwell House; that's the public side of the counter.

Rumours circulating that this has happened today, with a high profile casualty! I don't think that this will be able to be kept quiet for very long!

8 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Rumours circulating that this has happened today, with a high profile casualty! I don't think that this will be able to be kept quiet for very long!

With any luck it'll be Longworth being reintroduced to his pension first.

8 minutes ago, Max Power said:

A new minister wouldn’t have the authority to do that so soon would they?  Not within the realms of employment legislation anyway.

So surely if anything has happened then the massive government HR wheel has been turning for some time?

33 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As always you need to go to the original to get all the juicy details.  The actual reply (which only came today is on the FoI search with a title "Douglas Promenade Digital Counter" and was submitted on 27 September.  The actual request and  reply are as follows:

"Dear Sirs

The Department of Infrastructure installed a digital counter at the bottom of summer hill the cost at a reported cost to the tax payer of £16,000.

Please advise:

1. The actual cost including delivery set up purchase and installation for the digital counter.

2. Where is the digital counter now and does it still work.

3. What measures were taken into account before placing it beside a promenade wall and did the manufacturers warranty include damage by sea water .

4. If the digital counter is no longer working , what did the Department do with the broken digital counter .

Please supply all emails , letters ect in regards the damage caused to the digital counter."

Our response to your request is as follows:

1. The cost of the digital counter was circa £19,000 + costs of internal labour. This figure includes purchase cost, electrical supply and setup costs and software updates.

2. The Digital Display Kiosk is not working and has been disposed of accordingly.

3. Please refer to attached supporting correspondence and documents.

4. As per point 2; any salvageable components such as the LED display screens have been retained to see if they can be utilised elsewhere within our asset groups

Please see Appendix 1 for emails regarding the purchase, setup and damage to the digital counter.

Please see Appendix 2 containing documents relating to the purchase, setup and damage to the digital counter.

For all the real info you need to go to those appendices , especially the emails in A (as usual the servlet problem means I can't link directly).  But this para from page 37/38 sums it up:

I just wanted to let you know that the digital display kiosk which had the pedestrian and cyclist counter inside I originally procured for the Prom is essentially ‘knackered’, despite my specification that it must be constructed to withstand a high salt air/marine environment and showed the supplier where it would be going on the walkway in proximity to the sea it has corroded very badly on the outside of the casing and has so much water ingress that internal components have corroded and are not functioning, this is due mostly because of the vents for the air flow which allowed waves crashing over to enter the unit.

Naturally because of this disaster they've decided they now need three of them.

Who would have thought it, salt air and electronics not mixing. 

Pity @Matt Bawdendoes not openly contribute any more on here. 

Edited by ellanvannin2010
Bad use of language

23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Well a few months ago it was said from good sources that Black had resigned but clearly that didnt happen. Maybe he's worked notice ? Beaman   report was very critical of him and the dept .