Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

To be fair it does appear the  location and local conditions was given to the manufacturers by the DOI. 

And?

They are lucky it broke before a rock went through the screen.

Absolute  insanity and anyone who has ever been to Douglas would have known that.

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

And?

They are lucky it broke before a rock went through the screen.

Absolute  insanity and anyone who has ever been to Douglas would have known that.

I dont get what it was ever supposed to achieve. Seems like a vanity project without any real benefit. Ohh well its history now and doubt they will try that again .  

9 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I dont get what it was ever supposed to achieve. Seems like a vanity project without any real benefit. Ohh well its history now and doubt they will try that again .  

I guess they thought that this was a vital reason. Personally I don't 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/counter-on-douglas-prom-to-record-walkers-and-cyclists/&ved=2ahUKEwil3Kes9dTzAhUJiFwKHU7vB8AQFnoECEAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3kOX-lGIoXIA8tKPTsPd6e

4 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Who would have thought it, salt air and electronics not mixing. 

Pity @Matt Bawdendoes not openly contribute any more on here. 

After I posted I suddenly though: "Hey, that name sounds familiar.  It's Onchan traffic lights man!".

To be fair he and the DoI did realise the potential problem (it's even in the initial spec) but rather than being cautious about the practicality of the whole idea and doing their own investigations, they just blithely accepted whatever assurances the vendor gave them.  At the very least  you'd have thought you carry out some other investigations, ask if they have been installed in similar locations and then contacted those independently.   But it seems more important to be able to blame someone else if things go wrong rather than have them go right in the first place.

And there's the bigger question , which was asked on MF and elsewhere at the time: Why?  What was the purpose of these counters?  Presumably to 'prove' something about active travel, but on verifiable criteria or just to be shown to be doing something?  And to have a new boys' toy to play with.  Still, cheaper than most of them.

32 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Maybe because it was to provide prom updates it seized up as no info was forthcoming ! God knows why they would need to monitor walkers and cyclists as not sure what that benefit  that brings them. Also very weather dependant too. Vanity project and thats all it was about. 19k please thank you very much you gullible tax payers  

Edited by Numbnuts

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

rather than being cautious about the practicality of the whole idea and doing their own investigations, they just blithely accepted whatever assurances the vendor gave them.  At the very least  you'd have thought you carry out some other investigations, ask if they have been installed in similar locations and then contacted those independently.   But it seems more important to be able to blame someone else if things go wrong rather than have them go right in the first place.

The same thing could  be said about the idea of  encasing the rails in the red/orange/brownish cracking concrete.

28 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The same thing could  be said about the idea of  encasing the rails in the red/orange/brownish cracking concrete.

One part of the rails has even had timber left in between rails and concrete presumably to keep a gap between steel and concrete to try and hope it will help it not to crack. Going to be fun getting that out after its wet and swollen and not....yes you got it.... cracking the edge of the concrete . 

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Let’s be reminded here this is where the DOI lunacy ends up in its obsession for non standard road markings like the roundels and other useless urban clutter 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-59013779

RIP that young man.

So our feted DOI now appears to have blood on its hands as well. Let us hope that at least one of their morons is held accountable for this tragedy.

I wonder how Baker would defend this as the Minister in post at the time? Over to you, Mr Crookall.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Let’s be reminded here this is where the DOI lunacy ends up in its obsession for non standard road markings like the roundels and other useless urban clutter 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-59013779

There must be sackings and charges as a result of this?

The verdict seems very lenient towards those involved at DOI when so many people had flagged up the fact that this was a danger before the tragic incident had even occurred.

I am absolutely fuming and I didn’t know the guy.  Sincere condolences to  everyone who did and I kind of feel this warrants a real public outcry before this happens somewhere else and to another family.

Let us not forget that only a few weeks ago these morons installed that insane crossing in Kirk Michael and have installed numerous “crossings” on the prom which are clearly going to be the scene of an accident at some point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1