Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

12 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Anyone know the reason why all the markings, it seems on most roads, have been removed . I get the ones from Governers to top of bray hill but dont get the reasons behind the others.

It's like crop circles. A complete mystery.

I suspect dry paint eating aliens have been pinching it to get themselves in prime condition for an invasion.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

Anyone know if they are likely to put any road markings back on most of the roads soon since it will be dark by 5 next week?  Some of them have been really dangerous in the wet evenings this week and that is as a local who knows the roads.  Anyone who doesn’t know where the road goes could have real issues.

DOI don't do line painting between October and March was the answer I got when I asked about getting some lines fixed on the main road near me... 

I mean it's not like the contribute to road safety or anything. 

3 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

DOI don't do line painting between October and March was the answer I got when I asked about getting some lines fixed on the main road near me... 

I mean it's not like the contribute to road safety or anything. 

I really hope you are joking.

Loads of places where they have deliberately removed them all and they can’t possibly be thinking of leaving them right through winter? Most are unlit and busy roads.  Most of Kirk Michael to Ramsey has no markings at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Tweet him! Keep tweeting him! Every single problem, send him the photos. 

If Minister Crookall is going to personally inspect every reported defect on the Prom, he's not going to have much time left for Ministering 😄

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

I really hope you are joking.

Loads of places where they have deliberately removed them all and they can’t possibly be thinking of leaving them right through winter? Most are unlit and busy roads.  Most of Kirk Michael to Ramsey has no markings at the moment.

Honest answer. Whether they've fobbed me off with that or not remains to be seen. 

But last November I asked DOI if there was any chance of getting lines reinstated on the main road near mine... it's a busy road and the markings were missing since DOI did one of their big patching jobs on it - there's been a few near misses with dodgy parking and no markings. 

The response was "I have logged it for our line painting manager for his attention, but please be aware we are not currently line painting since September. We hope to resume in March weather permitting"

11 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Honest answer. Whether they've fobbed me off with that or not remains to be seen. 

But last November I asked DOI if there was any chance of getting lines reinstated on the main road near mine... it's a busy road and the markings were missing since DOI did one of their big patching jobs on it - there's been a few near misses with dodgy parking and no markings. 

The response was "I have logged it for our line painting manager for his attention, but please be aware we are not currently line painting since September. We hope to resume in March weather permitting"

Literally between posts I have driven from Lacey to Ramsey.  Most of Dhoon to the Rest and Be thankful devoid of any markings at all.  All scrubbed off and “no road markings” signs every few hundred yards.  In winter.  I wouldn’t be surprised if 10 percent of the main arterial routes are the same at the moment.

I wonder what the legal position is if someone goes off a road that has been deliberately left without markings for months on end?

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 1

It's just a temporary delay while the decision is made as to whether to repaint in non-regulation dark blue or non-regulation dark green. The dark green is currently favourite on environmental grounds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Literally between posts I have driven from Lacey to Ramsey.  Most of Dhoon to the Rest and Be thankful devoid of any markings at all.  All scrubbed off and “no road markings” signs every few hundred yards.  In winter.  I wouldn’t be surprised if 10 percent of the main arterial routes are the same at the moment.

I wonder what the legal position is if someone goes off a road that has been deliberately left without markings for months on end?

Didn't they scrub them off in preparation for that surface dressing/micro asphalt work that was due to start this month? 

DOI helpfully published a leaflet about it which contains such gems as 

This type of work is weather dependent and can only be carried out in dry weather

So October on the Isle of Man would be the perfect time to do this work. 

I suspect you are totally right about main arterial routes. The road between Santon Motel and Fairy Bridge is in a dire state as well. 

I don't think there would be any legal recourse from an RTC due to poor road conditions - there's no minimum agreed standard for what passes as an A road over here. It's shameful. 

• Like 1