Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually if you read that, it says that they are closing it for 21 days from 1 to 22 November.  This is partly 3FM misreading things again, but technically they are correct and the myPROM website description is a bit muddy:

Castle Mona Avenue and Esplanade Lane South junctions will close to prepare the highway and lay the final surface on Central Promenade. These closures will be from 8am to 5pm Saturday 6 November; 8am to 4pm Sunday 7 November plus 9am-5pm on Monday 8 November 2021. We apologise to all residents and businesses in these locations for the inconvenience these closures will cause. This will result in this area of Douglas Promenade being closed during these times with diversion signage in place.

This work is weather dependent so updates will be posted on @mypromisleofman social feeds if work dates change. A three-week road closure has been applied for to allow for weather conditions, but works, once they start will only be for the three-day period.  

So they're hoping to do it from 6 to 8 November, but it could be any time in the next three weeks.  Which doesn't actually provide much certainty to residents or businesses.

Can't the DOI even influence the weather. They really are hapless aren't they.

If you live along the prom or park there often / sometimes, then you may want to check out these draft parking orders I just got from the DOI. They cover the rules for disc parking on loch prom and other bits. There are some more to follow but I think these are the main ones already. It's in the feedback phase so give feedback if you want and I'll forward it: 

https://frankdrives.com/here-is-your-chance-to-provide-feedback-on-the-new-douglas-promenade-parking-orders/

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

If you live along the prom or park there often / sometimes, then you may want to check out these draft parking orders I just got from the DOI. They cover the rules for disc parking on loch prom and other bits. There are some more to follow but I think these are the main ones already. It's in the feedback phase so give feedback if you want and I'll forward it: 

https://frankdrives.com/here-is-your-chance-to-provide-feedback-on-the-new-douglas-promenade-parking-orders/

Genuine question.

Do the UK towns have as detailed Laws re parking as we seem to have.

Do they not just have General laws that say where there are double yellow lines then "X" and where parking bays are marked then "y" and follow the directions given on the signs near the parking bays?

That legal document seems to be totally OTT, I mean down to the metre. I am sure it could be a lot easier, and cheaper, to legislate for?

Is this how most countries work?

I have a horrible feeling that the pavements have been painted that way because the road is so narrow in that area, and a sharp bend,  it will help people avoid driving into pedestrians?

I heard a rumour about this a few months ago, the road sharp bend/ narrow not working around the rail cross over bit but have not heard anything since.

This could be the proof?

Soon find out once they have finished the final surface on central promenades this weekend and Monday?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Mr Black's parting shot?

Mr Black should have been shot on parting.

Whichever Crayonista (because it's got all the signs of being so) signed that multi-coloured mess off or came up with the idea, and the KM and St John's crossings needs to be stood alongside him. The orange tarmac in Parliament St, Ramsey is a good enough pointer to how coloured tarmac holds up and what happens when it needs to be repaired.

We're now awaiting Minister Crookall's first statement on the Liverpool Terminal situation too. Does anybody know if he also has jurisdiction over the Meat Plant?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Can't see a problem with any of that. Park your car inside the designated lines and don't overhang the highway/pavement. Don't park a massive fucking van in a car space. Don't overstay the indicated times. 

None of that seems inconvenient, unfair or hard to understand. 

What's the issue? 

Honestly, it's about time that people put a bit of effort and consideration into their parking, rather than just abandoning their vehicle roughly in line with what they think is a space. 

• Like 1