Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

49 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

We're now awaiting Minister Crookall's first statement on the Liverpool Terminal situation too. Does anybody know if he also has jurisdiction over the Meat Plant?

I’m assuming that meat plant will come under Clare Barber as nothing to do with DOI , wasn’t it some sort of deal between Boot & Baker?

The issues I have , apart from some of hideous designs , are the problems along the way when areas need to be repaired or dug up and reinstated . This is going to be a nightmare for groundworkers to deal with in the future. While its new it looks okay , but in places the standard of work is abysmal, but in a year or so time its going to look like a patchwork quilt . As I said having done loads of groundwork over the  years   I really dont envy the workers in the future down there.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I’m assuming that meat plant will come under Clare Barber as nothing to do with DOI , wasn’t it some sort of deal between Boot & Baker?

The shareholding was transferred to the Treasury back in July, so it's their baby now not DEFA's.  But Baker's appointment wasn't linked to him being DoI Minister.  Neither was the way he retained the MUA Chair after being appointed to DoI (some might see potential conflicts of interest there).  It was simply that Quayle ran out of mugs to appoint to the shit jobs.

Incidentally, according to their website, Baker is still the Chair of the Meat Plant Board and will presumably remain so till Tynwald appoints someone else.

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Is this what is known as the opposite of ‘gentrification’?

Sadique Kahn had to suspend this type of nonsense in London when it was realised the visually impaired and guide dogs, the elderly with dementia, those with learning difficulties are confused by unfamiliar patterns etc. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10165077/Sadiq-Khan-forced-STOP-creation-colourful-zebra-crossings-London.html

Anyone found out who the Crayonista is yet?

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

The issues I have , apart from some of hideous designs , are the problems along the way when areas need to be repaired or dug up and reinstated . This is going to be a nightmare for groundworkers to deal with in the future. While its new it looks okay , but in places the standard of work is abysmal, but in a year or so time its going to look like a patchwork quilt . As I said having done loads of groundwork over the  years   I really dont envy the workers in the future down there.

You only had to look at Chester Street when they lifted brick paviours with yellow lines on. Or the promenade walkway. You'd never know this project was overdue and over budget. Maybe they are hoping Banksy is looking for a new canvas and they can flog it to recoup some of the costs.

Now into November and still no white lines on sections of the Mountain Road. Guess road safety isn't a priority. Wonder what the excuse is? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

You only had to look at Chester Street when they lifted brick paviours with yellow lines on. Or the promenade walkway. You'd never know this project was overdue and over budget. Maybe they are hoping Banksy is looking for a new canvas and they can flog it to recoup some of the costs.

Now into November and still no white lines on sections of the Mountain Road. Guess road safety isn't a priority. Wonder what the excuse is? 

It's too cold now, knobheads!

2 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

The best we can hope for is that at least the crossing at St John's is painted over. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The best we can hope for is that at least the crossing at St John's is painted over. 

That it is still there is either sub-judice or pig-headed arrogance?

Edited by Non-Believer
typo
  • Like 1

And then sort out the crossings on the prom.  We have lived with crossings that appear not to be functioning because of the network of those metal fences, not to mention the difference between grey and charcoal as against a kind of muted beige.

Every crossing on the prom from Broadway is another potential tragedy, who knows which has a pedestrian waiting to cross or which is open?  Can you see them through the fences? 

Just bonkers, and as shown by the St John's tragedy, it seems that it will only take another serious incident for a bit of sense to be brought to bear. Or not. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think that ultimately much of the Promenade traffic control will have to be revisited. The roundels, the crossings, in some cases the general layout.

Nobody outside the nebulous world of DOI design can say exactly what the current layout is intended to accommodate but for the realistic, foreseeable future it's i/c/e cars, pedestrians, trams. All those things need formally marshalling, directing and controlling via proper signage and adherence to regulation marking. A free-for-all as present is a recipe for confusion, if not worse.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The shareholding was transferred to the Treasury back in July, so it's their baby now not DEFA's.  But Baker's appointment wasn't linked to him being DoI Minister.  Neither was the way he retained the MUA Chair after being appointed to DoI (some might see potential conflicts of interest there).  It was simply that Quayle ran out of mugs to appoint to the shit jobs.

Incidentally, according to their website, Baker is still the Chair of the Meat Plant Board and will presumably remain so till Tynwald appoints someone else.

Truly amazing that one person undertaking all those roles was so completely shit at all of them! 

Surely the law of averages should have meant he performed slightly less than shit at one of those roles?

44 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think that ultimately much of the Promenade traffic control will have to be revisited. The roundels, the crossings, in some cases the general layout.

Nobody outside the nebulous world of DOI design can say exactly what the current layout is intended to accommodate but for the realistic, foreseeable future it's i/c/e cars, pedestrians, trams. All those things need formally marshalling, directing and controlling via proper signage and adherence to regulation marking. A free-for-all as present is a recipe for confusion, if not worse.

The removal of the pedestrian guardrails around the crossings on Loch Prom and around Sam Webbs should be a serious concern for the new DOI CEO. 

It was there for a reason and now people just step out into traffic. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

And then sort out the crossings on the prom.  We have lived with crossings that appear not to be functioning because of the network of those metal fences, not to mention the difference between grey and charcoal as against a kind of muted beige.

Every crossing on the prom from Broadway is another potential tragedy, who knows which has a pedestrian waiting to cross or which is open?  Can you see them through the fences? 

Just bonkers, and as shown by the St John's tragedy, it seems that it will only take another serious incident for a bit of sense to be brought to bear. Or not. 

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If it's a recipe for confusion for experienced drivers, can you imagine what it's like for a learner driver? Recipe for absolute disaster. 

And who's betting that if a young driver is the first to have a serious accident on the prom, the boy*-racer-lock-'em-up brigade will be out in force even if it isn't strictly the kid's fault, but rather the DoI's?

*He/him she/her they/them 🙃

• Like 2